WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

What Coilovers do you have? What should I run?

Jdesign

Question

I was just looking to get some opinions from you guys on what to use to get moar lows on my E30. I was looking into the typical Megan, D2, BC, etc. They look like a good deal but I want something with 10k F 12K R rates. Apparently Megan has the option to order custom rates so I am waiting to hear back. Currently a new set of Megan coilovers is 8k all around, which sounds dumb to me. 

Basically I want the following elements for less than 1k:

-Ride height adjustability

-Dampening adjustability

-Mega Lows

-Camber adjustment

-10k Front minimum

-12k Rear minimum

-Moar lows

So what have you guys used in the past? Does anyone have Megan's on their BMW?

I ran BC's on my last e30.  I wish you could have gotten to ride in it Jason.  It was on the ground and still had stock height ride quality.  They also let me pick 10k front/12k rear spring rates for no extra charge.  Awesome product, awesome customer service.  BC all day.

This^ I heard that BC will revalve your shocks and everything if you switch spring rates. Where did you buy yours and how much did they set you back?

I called BC Racing today and they were extremely friendly and very helpful. The man I spoke to suggests 
160mm Front springs @ 8kg/mm
120mm Rear springs @ 12kg/mm - being custom valved

There is a guy on R3V right now that has this set up and says its almost too stiff for daily driving.

My car will be a daily driver in the summer, but I have had some harsh riding cars in the past. My wheel setup is really aggressive and I rather have stiff suspension then redo bodywork all the time. If need be, and I have to take someone’s mother out to dinner, I will have a spare car to take.winky.gif

I also contacted Megan Racing but they were less than helpful. The 15 year old boy or girl (I was unsureicon_surprised.gif) that answered the phone was reading me everything from there website. The only information I was unable to receive (after being put on hold with terrible music blasting out my ear drums) was that they do not offer custom rates for E30s. Cool, guess that makes up my mind.

Well since you all have so much to say I ordered some BC's today. Found a supplier that cut me a deal, got the rates I wanted, and also included some adjustment extenders for the trunk so I can adjust the dampening remotely. Should be here in 2-3 weeks, needless to say I am excited. I really should just start a build thread on here.

Well since you all have so much to say I ordered some BC's today. Found a supplier that cut me a deal, got the rates I wanted, and also included some adjustment extenders for the trunk so I can adjust the dampening remotely. Should be here in 2-3 weeks, needless to say I am excited. I really should just start a build thread on here.

yes... you should!!!

yes... you should!!!

x2^^^^

Did you stay with the 8k up front and 12k in back?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

yes... you should!!!

I will document everything an post it at the same time. I hate going back and forth.

x2^^^^

Did you stay with the 8k up front and 12k in back?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

No I did not. I went even stiffer :shifty: . I heard that's how the ladies like it. 10kF 12kR.  I plan on spinning these as far down as I can to see if I can wear through my skid plate..  

Guest Laishes

I went even stiffer :shifty: . I heard that's how the ladies like it. 10kF 12kR.

Have one of your friends drive you and a lady down McKee Road.

You and her won't have to do any work ;)