WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

chit chat thread

B C

That is awesome!!!  This is great work, make sure to use this sort of stuff on your resume in the future, employers would be very impressed.  Are those bronze bushings in the steering kingpin? What kind of top speed are you expecting from the vehicle? Does the driver wear a helmet?

It's a multi-piece assembly, the inner shaft is steel, the top retainer is steel, the spacer is aluminum, the bushings are brass, and the sleeve part that the kingpin got welded too was steel.

Top speed at this point will probably be about 30, but the gearing is all modular so swapping it out is a breeze. Yes, helmets are worn.

IMAG1565_zps08f4ce02.jpg

I especially liked when that piece of trim fell off the refrigerated display case, lol   that sort of thing just doesn't happen during a legit fall at the grocery store. 

Being an adult is cool, but sometimes I miss being a total jackass like that during middle school  :D

IMAG1656_zps915bc2c3.jpg

Full fuel system and wiring, pegboard is temporary of course. Shell does not allow you to run an electric fuel pump so instead I pressurized the whole fuel system!

Got most of the steering taken care of today as well.

IMAG1657_zps32b0e2ed.jpg

IMAG1660_zpsb11aa8b2.jpg

Uses a rack and pinion and works pretty damn well.

Judging by the car would you be able to tell that we leave for texas for competition on tuesday?

Getting tired of classmates, 4 of us have put in around 100 hours outside of school working on this thing, and some people barely have 10 in and never work on anything as is.

/rant

Full fuel system and wiring, pegboard is temporary of course. Shell does not allow you to run an electric fuel pump so instead I pressurized the whole fuel system!

Got most of the steering taken care of today as well.

Uses a rack and pinion and works pretty damn well.

Judging by the car would you be able to tell that we leave for texas for competition on tuesday?

Getting tired of classmates, 4 of us have put in around 100 hours outside of school working on this thing, and some people barely have 10 in and never work on anything as is.

/rant

An all too familiar scenario for Senior Design Project groups in college. 

Look at it this way, the extra fab skills+experience, small lessons learned, and troubleshooting you have done are all things that you will draw from in your future design endeavors. Your classmates are missing out on this big time. 

Almost every new design I do involves some reflecting on "lessons learned" from previous designs.

Also. what pressure are you pressurizing your fuel cell to and how long are you able to drive before re-pressurizing? 

I guess the experience is good, but its still sucks some times lol.

Pressurizing the pressure tank to 5 bar (Hawaiian punch bottle lol) and then running that into a pressure regulator that drops it down to 2-2.5 bar.

Have ran it for a solid 10 minutes with the tank at only 40 psi and had no issues, so I imagine it will run quite a long time!

And no you don't want to build one lol, these things are expensive!

But we get all of our money from sponsors that we go out and contact, Miller (welding) is a big one!