WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

E30 M50 tear down kinda thing

StewCrew

Just trying to wrap up some last minute stuff before my motor gets timed tomorrow.  Got around to getting my exhaust manifold studs in.  Used Brian's step-by-step procedure and it worked perfect.  A pinch of loctite and torqued to NGA Nm with jam nuts and they're done.

BD4F1596-8BA5-40C5-80C3-0A4BAD079238-105

Also some changes in the looks of things.

The bay is now charcoal grey, since I hated how the black looked.  Kinda going with a blue/grey theme to go with the car color and wheels.  We'll see how it actually looks.  Its a bit darker in person compared to the picture, but not by much.

5D676CE5-97E6-40BE-A488-3443E4B6AE9A-105

Also painted the valve cover.  I couldnt get all of the original finish off, so it looks like shit.  The point is it'll look good when the car is sliding with no hood on.

22242E49-77EE-4AA6-A9A1-4A8AC14ED6AD-105

Also, anyone have a tip or something to get the alternator pulley off when theres no belt on it?  Im looking to throw my TMS pulleys on tonight.

I remember removing more alternators without keys rather than with keys in my VW days. The compression of the nut against the pulley and shoulder on the shaft is generally enough to let it all work properly in absense of the key, luckily ACE hardware has keys that should fit in case you need one. 

yes ,,, Impact gun in short bursts and it will come right off. 

FYI -- Some of the pully/fan assemblies have a wood-ruff key ... I have managed to lose them 100% of the time so I am skeptical that they exist .. .like unicorns   

I remember removing more alternators without keys rather than with keys in my VW days. The compression of the nut against the pulley and shoulder on the shaft is generally enough to let it all work properly in absense of the key, luckily ACE hardware has keys that should fit in case you need one. 

Yes ... I forgot. O'Reilly has the key too

Awesome, thanks you guys.  Im going to try an impact later tonight when I go back to the shop.  If needed there's an O'Reilly's less than two minutes away. 

Thanks Jeff!

And Brian not that I can think of off the top of my head.  Nothing big at least.  I know Ill need 1 of the longer bolts on the upper timing cover, since I snapped one.  Other than that its just a matter of putting things back together.  Ill be buying a clutch tomorrow and that should be the last of new parts

i was going to repaint my engine bay black but the grey looks better.

I didnt mind the black at first, but for whatever reason I started to really not like how dull it looked.

Also hit my first setback of reassembling.  I cant find my coil pack ground plates.  This really bugs me because of how organized Ive been during this entire build.  I dont understand how I could misplace something like that..

I didnt mind the black at first, but for whatever reason I started to really not like how dull it looked.

Also hit my first setback of reassembling.  I cant find my coil pack ground plates.  This really bugs me because of how organized Ive been during this entire build.  I dont understand how I could misplace something like that..

what ground plates i might have some for you.

what ground plates i might have some for you.

These guys:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Engine-Earth-Ground-Plate-1738669/dp/B009KT2OT2

Theres 3 if I remember right, and they go between the coil packs.

Edit: Reading more into it, Im not even entirely sure if I need them.  Pelican Doesnt mention them in their article; only the two ground straps.