WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Helmets: What the snell do I need

m42b32

Question

Hey Guys,

I am planning on participating in the FVSCC ice rally-x on the 22nd (Don't worry, I'll make sure my radiator cap is on tight) and need a DOT approved helmet to participate, so I'm looking to see what you recommend or use. I'm also planning to do some auto-x this summer and once the e30 is back on the road I am hoping to do a track day or two, so I'd like something that is legal for those events as well. It looks like if I get something that is SA2015 I should be good for just about anything? I am also thinking an open face helmet would be best since there really isn't a reason to get a visor inside a car.

Another note is that I am just over 6'3" and have very minimal headroom in the e36. I can adjust my seating position to gain about 1.5" between my head and the headliner, but any helmets that are known to be thinner on top would be a bonus. 

Anyone have any recommendations?? I'm on a fairly tight budget so I can't get too fancy... though a better helmet costs less than medical bills, so if something is worth the extra cost for safety reasons I'd go that route. 

683c102ffe53573799d7af3fe174a623.jpg

I guess I was not clear in my comment.  I was discussing the personal benefits of entry level equipment for track days (HPDE).  HANS devices are/were not mandatory.  I would definitely agree that there is not replacement for the HANS device.  It's the route to go.  But, for people starting out and buying a helmet I would recommend what has worked for me.  Sadly I've been in too many wrecked BMW's and personally after being in an accident with one and without one, I noticed a large difference in overall neck travel and post accident muscle fatigue.  After reading the thread start regarding  the seat where headroom appeared to be an issue, I was lead believe that the seats are stock and/or a cage is not present.  Ergo, I was under the impression (perhaps false) that this was not a car in which a HANS device would be utilized.

Again, it's just personal experience for me with this item - nothing more nothing less.  If they have not benefited you in any way and/or work for your bottoms better - cheers.

dastuz, all good. I picked my collar up after one of my first track days after my neck was sore from riding as a passenger in some instructor cars. The issue turned out to be a combination of a cheap heavy helmet and the way a novice passenger tends to carry their head versus a driver (e.g., more torque on the neck due to a failure to look ahead/up and especially the failure to anticipate and look through the turns). Fixing both of these made the collar unnecessary for me, plus I had been exploring more about the pros and cons of collars in wrecks and decided this was not for me. At the time when I was driving I was just starting out with stock seats and roll bar.

Sounds like you've had more than your fair share of BMW wrecks. Hope that pattern changes, or has changed, for the better. Good that the collar helped you, and more importantly glad that you were able to walk away.        

At the time when I was driving I was just starting out with stock seats and roll bar.       

did you have any problems with e30 sport seats and helmet clearance? i have a tall torso and am a little concerned I will be hitting the roof. i think you are a little taller than me too.

My head clears with stock sports and a helmet

I rode in Brooke's Miata with a hardtop and helmet. That was a tight squeeze

2 hours ago, straight6pwr said:

did you have any problems with e30 sport seats and helmet clearance? i have a tall torso and am a little concerned I will be hitting the roof. i think you are a little taller than me too.

I look forward to running a fixed back seat for a bit more head room! I will finally be able to sit upright and not be slouching. 

I'm 6' and tall torso as well so understand the challenge.

FWIW, here's my progression.

I started out in 2001 in a 93 Miata with a foam modded stock seat (bottom foam mostly cut out), bolt in roll bar and hard top, and stock belts. Next went to a fixed back Momo Start t-frame race seat with the bottom cushion removed, 6-pt harness and fabbed mounts which got me lower. I fit and my helmet didn't touch the hard top but barely passed the broomstick test and my helmet back was closer to the bar than I liked.

When I switched to the e30 in 2007 the starting DE setup was the well worn stock sport seats at the lowest possible setting, a Kirk roll bar, and some used Schroth asm belts. Head clearance with helmet but not a lot. Sun roof carriage and head liner limit the space. Plus the faster I got the less comfortable I felt about the safety of the whole belt setup.

So... next was a used Recaro SRD seat with Massive Lee's adapters to fit the e30 sliders, and a six point harness. Replaced that set up with a used Cobra Suzuka GT fixed back seat (still have that as my passenger seat for DE ride alongs). Needed the GT to get the shoulder harness holes high enough relative to the harness cross bar. By the way this is the other issue if you have a tall torso when you're race seat shopping.

When I went completely off the deep end and gutted and caged the car I went with a new Suzuka GT, VAC floor and side mounts.

The current setup with the OMP HTE-R seat, omp side mounts and the vac floor mounts turns out to be the best yet for overall fit, and plenty of helmet clearance.

Sorry for rambling on. Short version: yes you'll fit but it takes some time and experimentation to find out what works best for you. Also the price point will always increase ... welcome to the slippery slope.

You guys know this already but at an autox or track day always walk around the paddock and ask to sit in people's cars. Cheap way to try out seats and setups.

I'm 6'4"... I already know fitting in the e36 with a helmet is going to be interesting. I'll most likely require a combination of slouching, gangster lean, and possibly an open sunroof. 

For the e30, the slicktop gives me a little more room so hopefully I can make it work as I am planning to keep a completely stock interior. Once the e30 is moving again, it will see the majority of helmet related driving and the e36 will be reserved for daily duty and winter events. I guess worst case scenario I swap in a fixed back seat before events. 

Anyone know, on average, how much a helmet would add to the top of your head?

I'm 6'4"... I already know fitting in the e36 with a helmet is going to be interesting. I'll most likely require a combination of slouching, gangster lean, and possibly an open sunroof. 

For the e30, the slicktop gives me a little more room so hopefully I can make it work as I am planning to keep a completely stock interior. Once the e30 is moving again, it will see the majority of helmet related driving and the e36 will be reserved for daily duty and winter events. I guess worst case scenario I swap in a fixed back seat before events. 

Anyone know, on average, how much a helmet would add to the top of your head?

2-3" maybe?

we stopped by Pegasus on Saturday. Bart was the guy behind the counter who was very helpful and full of advise.

trying on a bunch of helmets was very necessary as the fit went beyond just head size. also, between brands, a large wasn't consistently the same size. 

OMP helmets ran smaller, Bell in the middle, and Racequip were slightly larger. this a good thing because you end up with a bunch of different sizes to get it just right.

we also learned Pegasus doesn't keep all the helmets in stock, so we got lucky that the proper fitting ones were there. (2 months+ for them to get in more stock)

Rich you were right - candy store of awesome stuff!

41 minutes ago, straight6pwr said:

we stopped by Pegasus on Saturday. Bart was the guy behind the counter who was very helpful and full of advise.

trying on a bunch of helmets was very necessary as the fit went beyond just head size. also, between brands, a large wasn't consistently the same size. 

OMP helmets ran smaller, Bell in the middle, and Racequip were slightly larger. this a good thing because you end up with a bunch of different sizes to get it just right.

we also learned Pegasus doesn't keep all the helmets in stock, so we got lucky that the proper fitting ones were there. (2 months+ for them to get in more stock)

Rich you were right - candy store of awesome stuff!

Bart was super helpful, Pegasus is amazing. They will continue to get my business for sure. 

+1 on try before you buy! The differences in how each brand fit was surprising 

Glad you found helmets that fit. Between your own head shape and all the different shell structures and interior padding designs it really helps to try them on. I'm always amazed at the guys that can just do the online order and tape measure approach and actually get the right fit. 

If I'm thinking correctly about the same guy who helped you, Bart has been a presence in Milwaukee autox for years, competing and working tech. Good guy and knows his stuff.

Showroom is fun and only has a small fraction displayed of what they carry in stock. All sorts of goodness in the online and hard copy catalogues.

Hah! For a while my basement looked like an arcade game room or a gearhead's furnished rec room with comfort seats, sport seats, and multiple brands of used race seats. With the exception of the OMP and one old Cobra Suzuka, though all gone now... some to folks on this forum. Enabling always appreciated!  

Some other things to consider in M versus SA choice is that unlike an M-rated helmet a Snell SA2015 helmet is good for numerous types of events--racing (SA required), track days/DEs (varies by organization but an SA will always be good), autox (either M/SA), drifting (??), motorcycling (M/SA), etc.--and if you ever come to your senses and buck the addiction you could sell it used to a wider pool of buyers.

Next issue: open versus closed face.... go closed in part for the reasons above.