WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

BMW Concept Cars: 1995 Z21 "Just 4/2"

B C

1995 BMW Z21 "Just 4/2" 

Text from Road and Track: 

"Sharing a body shape and overall mission with the Ariel Atom—and its name with a later Smart—the Just 4/2 was a reminder of how simple our love for the automobile can be. BMW took a 1.1-liter, four-cylinder engine from its K1100 motorcycle and created a bespoke "exoskeleton" shape for it. Door panels could be detached and removed when not necessary. Had the Just 4/2 entered production, it probably would have needed a proper windshield, although airbags were integrated into the design. Best of luck remaining anonymous while driving it."

Weight: 1212 lbs

Power: 100hp

Acceleration (0-60mph): ~6.0 sec

I like this thing a lot. The trunk is removable and can be carried like a suitcase.

Theres no doubt the Smart ForTwo took a lot of inspiration from this car. Note the 3 lug wheels, and if you squint hard enough, some of the body lines/concepts.

If nothing else, enjoy the 90's-ness of the couple modeling the car. 

bmw_z21_just_4-2_1.jpg

bmw_z21_just_4-2_2.jpg

bmw_z21_just_4-2_4.jpg

bmw_z21_just_4-2_5.jpg

bmw_z21_just_4-2_3.jpg

bmw_z21_just_4-2_6.jpg

bmw_z21_just_4-2_7.jpg

bmw_z21_just_4-2_8.jpg

bmw_z21_just_4-2_9.jpg

bmw_z21_just_4-2_10.jpg

If this was a modern day concept it would probably go into production to compete against the slingshot. #takeoverallthemarkets

I wonder how this would be classified given it has four wheels. If it's a car and has to pass car safety standards then so much for that. Those Slingshots are a classification / licensing clusterf---. For example, they are a motorcycle in Wisconsin and require an "M" class license to drive, but in Illinois they are an "Autocycle" (whatever the hell that is) and can be driven on a regular car license. Then other states have a regular car license, a motorcycle license but then a separate class for three wheelers.

Sorry to get OT. I think it's kinda cool. I wonder what they used for the transmission/transaxle, it appears to have a regular shifting pattern and not the sequential bike trans. Since then they also came out with the S1000RR, which has about 2X the power of this "Flying Brick" engine.