WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

135i build thread. I'm done hobcobbling posts together

i_love_cars

I've done threads about bolt-on mods, clutch install, janky H&R springs, and other random happenings. SO now i'm making a single thread like most reasonably intelligent people do that houses everything about what happens to my car from this point forward!

Is my car a track car or a street monster in the making? Who knows, that's the fun! Hallway Pat thinks I'm stupid and I'm gonna ruin my car, but what does he know !? He drives a 5-ton boat anchor with no LSD and faulty n54 fuel injectors so nobody cares what he thinks! bwahaha 

EDIT: Pat plz roll my front fenders kkthx

Turbo plans temporarily shelved - nabbed this brand new set of kW clubsports for $2k shipped, couldn't pass up the deal. Had to throw in M3 bits for the front and some rear subframe bushings to complete the package. I'm into this setup for 2800 bucks which is pretty damn good considering the retail price on just the clubsports alone is 3200. 

IMG_0842_zpszk0yvhto.jpg

I've got stainless lines and decent track pads, so up next will likely be Stoptech rotors and replacing my brake caliper pistons. Before Spring I will be grabbing some apex arc-8 wheels and handing my car over to Big Bear Tire to see what kind of fitment options I have for a square tire setup for the track after they adjust suspension. 

Merry Christmas. To me. A month early. 

Hallway Pat thinks I'm stupid and I'm gonna ruin my car, but what does he know !? He drives a 5-ton boat anchor with no LSD and faulty n54 fuel injectors so nobody cares what he thinks! bwahaha 

EDIT: Pat plz roll my front fenders kkthx

Hahaha!  Hey! My fuel injectors aren't faulty anymore!  I prefer to think of my car as an understated family hauler, not a 5-ton boat anchor.  Plus, it's only about 200lbs heavier than your car.

And I never said you were going to ruin it, just raising concerns about the set up that you addressed.  I can't accept anything for face value, I have to question everything.

Which rear subframe bushings did you go with? I hope they aren't m3. It's not worth the upgrade. Also make sure to get some diff bushings as well.

as it turns out, i've been having some discussions earlier today with people about how to handle the rear suspension. Given that the subframe is going to be dropped, I was debating on upgrading the rear sway bar, given that I have an LSD. I was on the fence about differential bushings, but I'm still trying to figure out exactly what to do with the rear end of the car. The front I think is a slam dunk with the m3 control arms, swaybar, and coilovers. 

What data do you have to back up that the m3 bushings aren't worth the upgrade? I've driven with both back-to-back and the vagueness in the rear of the 135i is infinitely worse with stock bushings compared to M3. If you can back up your claim, then I have nothing against returning the M3 bushings in favor of something else. 

I would throw in one caveat which is I'm not trying to gut this vehicle and make it a pure track car - if that was my intent, you'd see nothing but solid bushings all across the board in the picture I posted. The problem is that will annihilate any semblance of ride quality on the street (especially in Wisconsin). God help me. 

My goals here are to add a decent amount of competency to the car at the track so that it feels a bit better to me than it currently does, and still not hate myself on the street. I know full well that without going full bore some people will say "why even bother?" and I say "well it's half the price this way and there is absolutely gains to be had in both balance by being able to run a square tire setup which is ideal on a 50/50 weight distribution car, gain some feel for where the rear of the car is and have better turn-in". It's not a competition car, but there are some definite upgrades worth doing in a middle-ground capacity that drastically improve handling at the track. 

So that said, I'm open to your suggestions on what an alternative would be for the M3 rsfb that's not going to be super harsh. 

There is a reason anyone that mods a m3 suspension upgrades to different bushings. It's funny seeing normal e90 customer say ya im Upgrading to m3 bushings to stif fen up the car they are a big difference. Then talking to a e90 m3 owner saying his rear end drivability sucks with stock bushings. I have solid rear subframe bushings and poly differential bushings algon with a diff brace. This is on a e92 335i with wavetrac lsd. All rear suspension arms are m3 along with both upper and lower front control arms. It is no harsher then stock. Just a little diff noise can be heard that's all. The solid buswings and such don't really add to harshness that's more of the shocks/springs doing. Also with any suspension sway bars is the last thing you change and that is only to fine tune the suspension. I'd start with the coilovers, a track alignment and see were you stand from there.

Hmmm ok I hear you on the bushings - but just coils? At a minimum I would think a (good) rsfb and coils to start. The 135 rsfb are pitiful. Utterly bad. Replacing those is one of the most common upgrades along with coilovers and the feedback is unanimously in favor of upgrading them as they are such an obtuse weak point in the 135 suspension.

I guess it's a good thing I have 5 months to sort everything out lol

What I am saying is the coils/shocks is what will regulate a harsher ride. The solid rear bushings and such mostly just make road and differential noise louder. If it were me I'd do solid aluminum subframe bushings with the Mfactory diff bushings as that will cut down on most of the noise. Also do all m3 control arms in the rear at a minimum. I have the GC camber arms for more adjustability. I'd keep sway bars till the end after you drive it and see what you like. For a e90 set up a lot of people for track wise at least do the e90 m3 front sway bar and remove the stock rear sway bar completely and run nothing. But again this depends what coils you run. I run JRZ rs pro's with remote resvoirs so it's a couple steps up from your kw cs.

Dan frodl at kummrow. He's a friend and does all of their track setups and adjustments.

I certainly appreciate the input - the rear suspension and how far that gets taken at the outset has been an ongoing question for me because a lot of people focus on the front but I don't think those people track much. I think I will hold off on the rear swaybar for now but stick with the e93 m3 front swaybar, and look into sourcing more bushings for the rear. I hear you on the control arms in the rear but what about guide rods ?

I know people have a mixed bag feeling about kummrow and I don't want this thread to become a referendum on that so I'll just say on the rare occasion that I've needed them to work on my car, the work has been good, and Dan is a friend who has been helpful and legit in my circle of car guys.

I will scope out the turner kit, thank you

Setting up INPA was the biggest pita of the whole process for me.  Once I got it working then it was a breeze to code them.

Otherwise i have a working inpa system on my laptop :)

Any tips or good tutorials to follow? 

I've seen some, but some say INPA works on 32bit only, granted that was from 2012. I've got windows 10 64bit on my laptop. 

Were you on 64bit windows? 

• 2 weeks later...

I've made a few adjustments to my plans. 

I returned the rear subframe bushings and am planning to just move forward with the coilovers, front swaybar, and control arms. Not having to remove the subframe to do RSFBs will allow me to install the aforementioned parts on the floor in my garage and save a couple bucks. I think I'm going to leave the suspension at that and not take it further. I worry that I will fall into a black hole of track-prepping a car that is the wrong engine and chassis to begin with. As we start talking about additional suspension in the rear, solid bushings, a race seat and harness, and the list goes on - it adds up to an amount of money that I would rather just not spend. 

The coilovers will allow me to get rid of my janky unbalanced H&R sport springs, and stabilize the car a bit more for track days and I'll continue to use it as my track car for the 2016 season. That should be good enough and is appropriate for the car, I think. I'll probably be on the lookout for some sort of truck/trailer/track-prepped e36 m3 package further down the road. 

I found out my bonus on Friday and once that gets deposited at the end of the month, I can safely say that I will be ordering my Pure stage 2 turbo that i've been fiending over for the past 9 months. More to come on that hopefully in early 2016. 

Sounds like you got a well deserved bonus. Time to enjoy the fruits of your hard work!

too bad 14k of it is going to taxes to fund social benefits to lazy people who don't work that take advantage of systems designed to help unfortunate people who want to work / get back on their feet!

had to get that in there. Yes, I'm bitter.