WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

135i build thread. I'm done hobcobbling posts together

i_love_cars

i was wondering if anyone was gonna catch on to the music. I wanted a nice cozy environment for taking Brian out on our Mexico racing date.

also great timing brian, LOL - there was some slow SUV in front of us and all you hear is me saying "this guy is gonna get assrammed" LOL 

my friends are known for their comedic timing

so, the update:  I have boost again after unplugging my JB4 boost solenoid sensor. I put the stock one back in and all my boost issues disappeared. It's odd because as of right now, we haven't even started a JB4 map 6 yet - my car is still running with JB4 in Map 0 (disabled) while the cobb BEF gets sorted out. It's possible i didn't seat the sensor properly so I'm gonna re-do that when the weather is better, but if there is still an issue I will be looking at BMS and saying "wtf". Could be Jb4 ISO 5.9 but I doubt it. 

So right now I am at least happy to be at normal operation with an early cobb tune running peak 17 psi which in the next couple weeks will be getting sorted towards 19 psi more consistently across the board, with a peak around 21 on E50 once I get the JB4 issue sorted out. The car is very strong even as it currently sits. I took another friend of mine for a ride last night who likened the brutality of the pull to when he drove a 458 Italia last fall. 

Once I have the Cobb tune sorted, I will probably get a dyno chart before starting on the Jb4 map 6, for comparison purposes.

Whaaaat dude we need to caravan for that. There's no way my tune will be ready because dzenno is on vacation from April 9 through the 18th or something but I would totally go along to watch some cool cars.

Beyond redline is hours away from me so I will have to pass but let me know what your plan is for the 30th

22 minutes ago, i_love_cars said:

Whaaaat dude we need to caravan for that. There's no way my tune will be ready because dzenno is on vacation from April 9 through the 18th or something but I would totally go along to watch some cool cars.

Beyond redline is hours away from me so I will have to pass but let me know what your plan is for the 30th

Are you going?

My friends and I are getting a hotel on Thursday night in Milwaukee (heavy drinking will probably be involved). Then we will drive 3.5 hours to a hotel in Champaign, IL for Friday and Saturday night. The airstrip races are about 20 minutes away from our Champaign hotel.

update: cobb flash is done and starting on jb4 map now. The BEF used in the videos taken above is hitting about 11 psi at 3k and getting up to 18 at 5500 and holding that to redline. For JB4 will be initially on 17 psi across the board from 3k rpm, and with a couple tweaks hopefully end up closer to 20 psi across the board on e50. 

I still can't believe how well this turbo holds boost at higher rpm. It's such a staggering difference from a stock N55 turbo which just utterly ran out of breath at like 5200. This thing hits 6500 and keeps going. 

if this shitfuck wisconsin weather would just...fix itself...

• 2 weeks later...

installed kW street comfort coilovers this weekend and just had Big Bear Tire do the adjustments today. H&R springs were a cheap way to prove whether or not I could get in my driveway if I lowered my car, but I definitely think I waited too long to get these coilovers. The ride height is so much more even now between front and back. Before the front was sagging over the tire and the back was 1.5" above the tire. Not to mention having springs that are matched properly to the damper in a proper coilover setup has dramatically improved ride quality. 

IMG_1113_zpsih9bvsdg.jpg

interesting, I actually have a bit of a creaking noise when i turn the wheel at low speed/stopped as well, but it started about 2 weeks after having the car back together from the turbo install. I haven't been able to definitively figure it out either. I"ve re-torqued everything but it sounds like the steering boots are pulling. 

shoulda taken it back to them. They do a lot of track setups for people I know and I've had all 4 of my cars there and never any issues. Jason is usually really good. Our goal should be to get our steering problem fixed before the next WIBimmers meet, otherwise Snap will just have more ammunition to make fun of us with as he lashes out at others who have functioning cars because he refuses to man up and buy a 335.

10 hours ago, bk335 said:

Looking good. 

I had my car aligned at big bear last fall and whatever they adjust in the steering has been squeaking ever since.  It gets worse when the temp gets colder so I'm really stumped what squeaks.

All they do is turn the inner tie rod... unless the boot got jammed up it shouldn't make any noise, although if that happens it usually doesn't make noise and/or the boot will correct itself.  If it's only when turning the wheel it's likely a lower balljoint or upper strut mount.  

ran a data log with 19 psi targets from 3k to 7k last night. Some adjustment is in order to keep the boost target a little tighter and on track but it's starting to come together. Holding 18.6 when I let off throttle at 6750 rpm feels pretty good. Hopefully in the next week or two I will be in a spot to get on the dyno

19psi_targets_zpslgu3kxvi.png

Looking good. 

I had my car aligned at big bear last fall and whatever they adjust in the steering has been squeaking ever since.  It gets worse when the temp gets colder so I'm really stumped what squeaks.

All they do is turn the inner tie rod... unless the boot got jammed up it shouldn't make any noise, although if that happens it usually doesn't make noise and/or the boot will correct itself.  If it's only when turning the wheel it's likely a lower balljoint or upper strut mount.  

That's exactly what I thought. I took the tie rods off a while back and greased the outer ball joints but that didn't help at all. It sounds like it's more where the rack and pinion meet.

• 1 month later...

Got some early dyno results here that I'm pretty happy with but my car clearly has issues. Went to LMT this morning and put down roughly 420/470 with a boatload of timing problems. You can see the horespower just flatlines at 5k when it should just keep going up higher and higher to redline.  The torque and hp lines start to drop at the exact same point when timing starts getting pulled. There is a nasty drop at 5400 as well. Data logs have continued to show cylinder 1 as the primary culprit.

So my plan is this:  figure out if I have a bad coil or injector on Cylinder 1, then get these new colder N20 plugs installed and working properly. Currently running a stock heat range plug and some of you know I tried the N20 plugs as recommended by Dzenno and PTF and I had some issues. I'm going to revisit that because they are a colder heat range and many other N55s are reporting success with them. Today I am going to swap coils between cylinders 1 and 2 to see if my timing issue shifts over to cylinder 2. 

Hopefully this will inform me enough to fix the car and resume tuning because at this point all I have is a cobb flash and a JB4 with high boost targets. No adjustments have been dialed in yet for AFR or timing bias in my jb4 map.

#exhaustFlames

http://vid1170.photobucket.com/albums/r526/wardjt1983/IMG_0127_zpsuzatlhtm.mp4

IMG_0130_zpsgkjcaa7t.jpg

5 hours ago, Earl said:

Couldn't you have simply pulled a plug and checked it there instead of running back and forth to the dyno?

probably. it only takes a minute to swap them but I was at the dyno more to just get a base run of where I am currently at. Not really trying to solve world problems there. LMT had $50 pulls for the month of May which is a pretty good deal so I figured why the hell not. 

agreed, there should be way more timing advance up top - what I don't know is just exactly what is throwing everything off. I am not ruling out the tune at this point either - I have a custom E85 BEF but I emailed Terry again about getting 98F0B posted. He never wrote a bef for that version of the n55 DME, which is frustrating. I sent him some data logs of what i currently have pleading with him because we talked 1.5 months ago and he said he'd write it but never did. 

I would really like to have that in my pocket to upload and test with to see if it is just a tuning issue on the back end. Hopefully he responds today.