WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

135i build thread. I'm done hobcobbling posts together

i_love_cars

Ok people, I went back to the dyno today after the tuning adjustments. Now the car is running where I thought it should've been to begin with. Very happy and I finally feel like I can call this car "done" in my eyes. I know some people are pushing the N55 further but in my opinion that's a $$$ rabbit hole that just isn't worth going down. At some point I'm going to sell this car and move into V8 territory.

475 whp / 477 wtq on E50 was my best pull today. The power band looks fantastic and I really couldn't be happier, especially knowing that I put all the parts on the car together myself and shit isn't blowing up. 

First 2 pulls were back at 21 psi same as what I had last week when I was making 420. When those looked clean I upped the targets to 23 psi in the midrange. Pull 3 had intake temps of 120 degrees so I had their dyno tech spray the engine down a bit before the 4th pull and picked up an extra 9 hp / 8 tq on the 4th pull.  23 psi in the midrange gave a really nice power increase between 4k and 5500 as you can see. 

IMG_0150_zpsumhozbzw.jpg

So far so good. N55's do run a bit more on the lean side anyway but my AFRs pull down to about 12.9-13.1 above 5400 rpm. Terry looked at logs I emailed him and said it looked fine but with the timing on the BEF I just don't see a 12.3 AFR happening without PI or meth. I don't think it's going to be anywhere near dangerous enough to lean out at those numbers, though. 

9 minutes ago, i_love_cars said:

So far so good. N55's do run a bit more on the lean side anyway but my AFRs pull down to about 12.9-13.1 above 5400 rpm. Terry looked at logs I emailed him and said it looked fine but with the timing on the BEF I just don't see a 12.3 AFR happening without PI or meth. I don't think it's going to be anywhere near dangerous enough to lean out at those numbers, though. 

If you're comfortable with it, that's all that matters. If I were you, I'd richen it up with by adjusting the scalers in the BEF.

After digging around a bit today, I'm deciding that I'm gonna stick to my guns with the current tune as planned. I sent the logs to Terry and he just got back to me and says the afr looks fine. His direct words were actually "the richer AFR on n55 leads to more misfires and headaches, which is why it's set where it is". You tune higher boost on these turbos to low 12's AFR you will actually misfire at higher rpm's. It goes against the convention of every other car I've ever owned being happy at about 12.3 AFR, but PURE's shop cars have the same thing so I'm not gonna worry about it. 

Here is one of their charts and the AFR is very similar to mine. They run about 12.9 sooner but above 4500 rpm they are still at 13.3 or so:

sheadyno.jpg

seems that way. Just fuckin' weird. After your idea yesterday I second-guessed myself and emailed Terry immediately (as noted) and double-checked my research and while it all lines up, I just don't get it. 

To my understanding, even the N54 runs like, well, pretty much every motor you can think of, meaning it likes low 12's for AFR as the happy place. 

This is why I don't tune my own N55 and just leave it to someone who knows WTF they're doing :D

21 hours ago, i_love_cars said:

seems that way. Just fuckin' weird. After your idea yesterday I second-guessed myself and emailed Terry immediately (as noted) and double-checked my research and while it all lines up, I just don't get it. 

To my understanding, even the N54 runs like, well, pretty much every motor you can think of, meaning it likes low 12's for AFR as the happy place. 

This is why I don't tune my own N55 and just leave it to someone who knows WTF they're doing :D

To be fair, I'm running about 13 under full boost to 12.6 by redline.