WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Motion to find a time machine...

B C

13 members have voted

1. 1. All in favor?

• Aye
    • Nay

ClassE's build thread brought forth a few negative opinions of the m20 manifold out of the woodwork. 

I am neutral about it.

Form follows function and it was designed for a particular function. 

A log manifold would sound cooler though.

I have every intention of coming up with a custom manifold design and having one build this fall - with the intention of adding boost shortly there after.

I think a NA M20 with some simple bolt-ons (cam, exhaust, software/fueling) and a SRI w/velocity stacks would pull just fine.

Snap I have 3 extras, I have begin working on one! I cut it, and then milled it flat, but I need to figure out how long of runners I want, And I also have to cut cylinder 6 runner shorter, because it has a bend starting nearly at the flange. 

Also I gotta figure out velo stacks, and if I want to make them or not. 

One thing I noticed. HOLY CRAP the stock flange was not very flat. 

I can mill a flange correct? I shouldn't need to grind it right? I normally get amazing finish with my face mill, but I don't know what kind of sealing it needs. 

Yea you should be able to take a little off with a face mill until it cleans up, this is a typical thing to do on engines like my land cruiser has with intake/exhaust on the same side and using the same mounting bolts.  There are half holes in each piece so they share hardware and if the thicknesses don't match perfect you can't get a good seal.

unless you end up finding/using an MLS gasket for the intake manifold (pro would be re-usability) 

I'd agree that it should be suitible as finished. 

Do you have a profilometer at work? 

If that means a surface finish tester, than yes :) 

I mean, with my face mill I can practically get a mirror finish. Its not a problem.