WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Jake's Epic BMW 135i Build Thread! (5+ Years of Ownership)

suspenceful

On 4/28/2017 at 7:28 PM, patsbimmer1 said:

Needs more 335i.  Looks good!  I love Alpineweiss!

On 4/28/2017 at 8:42 PM, YoungCR said:

328i's are great for daily duty.

On 4/28/2017 at 9:35 PM, Earl said:

If you have a back up daily for when the n54/n55 acts up once a week=P

Trust me, I've been tempted to sell/trade for an N54 car. But I tell myself not to because this car has been deadnuts reliable. The 328i is a great platform that doesn't seem to have many issues. While it isn't all that fast, it is somewhat torquey for an N/A car. Only thing that bothers me is that the rear seats don't fold down. Other than that, I love it.

34331057556_49ab654cf8_c.jpg

On 4/29/2017 at 6:50 AM, i_love_cars said:

I'm very excited to see the results from the turbo upgrade. 

What are you doing for tire? Assuming you got the ARC-8 with the higher offsets that can fit *some* brands of 275 tire - are you looking at any sort of 1M rear conversion or has some company developed something that allows you to run wider tire? 

I don't plan on hooking on high boost and anything below 60mph on the street. I'm going to try Federal's 595 RS-R tire because it's cheap and see what happens. I can always limit boost by gear until I find the sweet spot if I need to hook up.

No 1M conversion. I could do a rear hub swap to gain an additional 10mm of clearance and do a smaller rear brake conversion to fit a 16" wheel/tire setup. None of that is on my radar yet though. I want to install parts and save for an LSD first.

3 hours ago, bk335 said:

I would suggest driving both back to back, I can almost guarantee you'll want the M3. All the N54 (except maybe for the 1M - though I can't comment on that)  cars just don't feel special compared to the E9x M3. Sure they're very quick but that's about it. They don't handle all that well and can't put the power down.

This is true, sadly. Still a great car for the price though.

47 minutes ago, suspenceful said:

This is true, sadly. Still a great car for the price though.

Without a doubt they are one of the best, if not the best, tuner car platforms now for the money. Extremely durable engine that doesn't need to be built at 400hp like the EJ. Not to mention all the go (and then some) without the bro-status. :rolleyes:

I feel like I always hear people saying that the e9x m3 chassis feels perfect with around 500-600hp, and the chassis is far ahead of the power plant in stock form. 
When I got a ride with a forum member I could easily see how this statement is true, the car felt incredibly planted and controllable. The straight line acceleration wasn't anything to run home about, but was satisfying. 

I don't think I hear people saying the 1 series chassis feels great with 500hp. 

That being said I would enjoy either car if it were in my garage. 

1 hour ago, GunMetalGrey said:

I feel like I always hear people saying that the e9x m3 chassis feels perfect with around 500-600hp, and the chassis is far ahead of the power plant in stock form. 
When I got a ride with a forum member I could easily see how this statement is true, the car felt incredibly planted and controllable. The straight line acceleration wasn't anything to run home about, but was satisfying. 

I don't think I hear people saying the 1 series chassis feels great with 500hp. 

That being said I would enjoy either car if it were in my garage. 

One of them kind of is, depending how you want to think about it...

5 hours ago, bk335 said:

Without a doubt they are one of the best, if not the best, tuner car platforms now for the money. Extremely durable engine that doesn't need to be built at 400hp like the EJ. Not to mention all the go (and then some) without the bro-status. :rolleyes:

I beg to differ

I beg to differ

About which part? I'm not aware of many other platforms that can be found for $8-$10k that'll have as much potential as an n54 car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Daggerty said:

Mercedes amgs with m113k motors fairly cheap to mod up until 700hp. Bought mine for 4200 probably about 6000 into it after mods and at 600hp and 650tq

You're talking about a car that weighs almost 1,000lbs more than a 135i which is much more expensive to mod and maintain for normal people.  So yes, your s55 is a great dyno queen and highway cruiser but the n54 can be put up the same or larger numbers and be faster with less.  

@suspenceful Now back on topic, a set of VTT GC's?

15 hours ago, damnboy037 said:

You can always add FI to the M3, it will cost more for sure. 

Great build Jake, ballin out of control. 

not necessarily, it all depends on your power goals.

If you want 700+ whp, the M3 simply isn't the car for you. But then again, 700+ whp in an N54 turns it into an airstrip warrior which is likely something Jake is interested in doing given his recent 1/2 mile endeavors, and the fact that he's content with the 328i for a daily. 

If you want acceptable street power levels, 550 whp You can do it on an M3 for $5500 + ESS tune (~$900) and a day of your time to install a used ESS 625 kit which are commonly available on m3post forums. You can't even hit that power level on an N54 without meth and e85 combined which is a huge inconvenience. Meanwhile on the M3 you just fill up on regular pump gas and go on your merry way with the supercharger kit. You will absolutely be spending similar money if not more making that same power reliably and hold the power increase to redline on a 135i because that requires aftermarket turbos - you're going to spend $3k alone just on turbos, then add in another $2000 for tune, downpipe, IC, inlets, and meth kit. Throw in other odds an ends necessary like fuel pump upgrade, and then the mods you need just to come even remotely close to putting the power to the ground and you are well into $7-8k territory. 

The only time it is more affordable to make power on an N54 than an M3 is if you are happy in the 400-ish range where a couple grand gets you FBO, or if you want to go big big power like Jake is doing here. 

in for the TX2k vids 

12 hours ago, bk335 said:

About which part? I'm not aware of many other platforms that can be found for $8-$10k that'll have as much potential as an n54 car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would have to agree for a bone stock car to use as a platform. However, for that price point you could throw a number of different power plants into a few other platforms and have more capable cars=P

1 minute ago, Earl said:

I would have to agree for a bone stock car to use as a platform. However, for that price point you could throw a number of different power plants into a few other platforms and have more capable cars=P

Earl secretly just wants to see an N54-powered 318 =P 

11 hours ago, patsbimmer1 said:

You're talking about a car that weighs almost 1,000lbs more than a 135i which is much more expensive to mod and maintain for normal people.  So yes, your s55 is a great dyno queen and highway cruiser but the n54 can be put up the same or larger numbers and be faster with less.  

@suspenceful Now back on topic, a set of VTT GC's?

Nope, I got a screaming deal on a set of MMP Stage 3 turbos. Package deal with bigger inlets, outlets, port injection and stage 3 fuel pumps.

They have WPC bearing treatment and are ceramic coated. I'll be putting them to the test but there are two people running 30psi and making over 700whp.

3 hours ago, i_love_cars said:

not necessarily, it all depends on your power goals.

If you want 700+ whp, the M3 simply isn't the car for you. But then again, 700+ whp in an N54 turns it into an airstrip warrior which is likely something Jake is interested in doing given his recent 1/2 mile endeavors, and the fact that he's content with the 328i for a daily. 

If you want acceptable street power levels, 550 whp You can do it on an M3 for $5500 + ESS tune (~$900) and a day of your time to install a used ESS 625 kit which are commonly available on m3post forums. You can't even hit that power level on an N54 without meth and e85 combined which is a huge inconvenience. Meanwhile on the M3 you just fill up on regular pump gas and go on your merry way with the supercharger kit. You will absolutely be spending similar money if not more making that same power reliably and hold the power increase to redline on a 135i because that requires aftermarket turbos - you're going to spend $3k alone just on turbos, then add in another $2000 for tune, downpipe, IC, inlets, and meth kit. Throw in other odds an ends necessary like fuel pump upgrade, and then the mods you need just to come even remotely close to putting the power to the ground and you are well into $7-8k territory. 

The only time it is more affordable to make power on an N54 than an M3 is if you are happy in the 400-ish range where a couple grand gets you FBO, or if you want to go big big power like Jake is doing here. 

in for the TX2k vids 

You can make 550whp on just 93 pump gas in an N54 with a fuel pump upgrade. But if you're doing the fuel pump upgrade, you might as well utilize it for E85 if available. Meth is nice, but not needed in combination with ethanol unless you want it for cooling purposes.

If you're content with ~450/whp and 500/wtq, the N54 is really the best bang for the buck. If you want to be cheap, you can find an N54 for $7k. Then add used bolt-ons and a tune for $1k and you have a beast of a car for well under $10k. Again, this is mostly straight line power. Upgraded M3 suspension bits and an LSD would go a long ways.

1 minute ago, suspenceful said:

Nope, I got a screaming deal on a set of MMP Stage 3 turbos. Package deal with bigger inlets, outlets, port injection and stage 3 fuel pumps.

They have WPC bearing treatment and are ceramic coated. I'll be putting them to the test but there are two people running 30psi and making over 700whp.

You can make 550whp on just 93 pump gas in an N54 with a fuel pump upgrade. But if you're doing the fuel pump upgrade, you might as well utilize it for E85 if available. Meth is nice, but not needed in combination with ethanol unless you want it for cooling purposes.

If you're content with ~450/whp and 500/wtq, the N54 is really the best bang for the buck. If you want to be cheap, you can find an N54 for $7k. Then add used bolt-ons and a tune for $1k and you have a beast of a car for well under $10k. Again, this is mostly straight line power. Upgraded M3 suspension bits and an LSD would go a long ways.

I want to be clear I'm not trying to derail your car's build thread - but I need to address comments made by others that are spreading misinformation about the cost effectiveness of making the M3 faster in a straight line.

(I'd like to see actual dyno vids of any N54 on stock turbos and pump gas (93 octane only) making 550 whp on with proper SAE correction, because I don't think they exist and I'm too lazy to dig). The raw horsepower number is irrelevant because it won't be as good of a powerband as a 550 hp supercharged M3 at all. The ESS 650 kit isn't much more power and if you compare apples to apples fueling (e85), that N54 on stock turbos will get utterly destroyed.

You can get used ESS 550 kits for $4k these days which will make the same power as your car does currently and it will deliver it stronger up top and at speed. 

Go watch Longboarder's YouTube videos from NoFlyZone and other 1/2 mile events on his ESS 650 kit. It shits on every N54/N55 that runs E85/FBO/upgraded turbos that aren't running large singles, and you can get a used ESS 650 kit with tune for like $7k-7500, which again is easily what you're gonna spend on everything for the 135i especially once you factor in the LSD. 

Let's make no mistake - there is NO better platform for making power cheaply than N54 when you factor in the cost of buying the car being so cheap. My only point is that if you sit an N54 side by side with an E9x M3, ignoring the cost of entry for a moment and say "I want to make these cars go fast in a straight line", it only truly starts being cheaper on the N54 in pure modification dollars when you want to exceed 600 whp. 

Carry on.

2 hours ago, i_love_cars said:

I want to be clear I'm not trying to derail your car's build thread - but I need to address comments made by others that are spreading misinformation about the cost effectiveness of making the M3 faster in a straight line.

(I'd like to see actual dyno vids of any N54 on stock turbos and pump gas (93 octane only) making 550 whp on with proper SAE correction, because I don't think they exist and I'm too lazy to dig). The raw horsepower number is irrelevant because it won't be as good of a powerband as a 550 hp supercharged M3 at all. The ESS 650 kit isn't much more power and if you compare apples to apples fueling (e85), that N54 on stock turbos will get utterly destroyed.

You can get used ESS 550 kits for $4k these days which will make the same power as your car does currently and it will deliver it stronger up top and at speed. 

Go watch Longboarder's YouTube videos from NoFlyZone and other 1/2 mile events on his ESS 650 kit. It shits on every N54/N55 that runs E85/FBO/upgraded turbos that aren't running large singles, and you can get a used ESS 650 kit with tune for like $7k-7500, which again is easily what you're gonna spend on everything for the 135i especially once you factor in the LSD. 

Let's make no mistake - there is NO better platform for making power cheaply than N54 when you factor in the cost of buying the car being so cheap. My only point is that if you sit an N54 side by side with an E9x M3, ignoring the cost of entry for a moment and say "I want to make these cars go fast in a straight line", it only truly starts being cheaper on the N54 in pure modification dollars when you want to exceed 600 whp. 

Carry on.

No worries - this thread hardly ever gets any attention aside from myself so I'm glad to see some activity.

I didn't think you were talking about 550whp on stock turbos. It's doable on upgraded turbos, but definitely not stock turbos. Those max out at about 500whp with all the help they can get. You're right, it's cheap to make <500whp and cheaper to make 600whp+. Sadly, a lot of N54 guys are in the middle ground because they're restricted by auto transmissions.