WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Anyone who owns a motorcycle, I got some questions

jockhater2

I beat the piss out of a drz400sm for 17xxx miles. Never had any issues. Had an insane amount of fun on it.

Those are fun, I drove Brandyn's old one with the dual exhaust.  Dual exhaust on a single cylinder...?  Not sure why but it sounded nice.

They are more for looks than anything. MRD/SSW Or the original yosh ti systems makes the most power. Also. It was really easy to crush the mid pipe if you landed hard. His bike sure looked good tho

Don't look at 250cc sport bikes, unless you want to have buyers remorse after 5 minutes of riding.  My very first motorcycle was a 1978 Honda CB750.  The thing was great at low speeds, but would haul some serious ass.  The 250 bikes are so gutless, you'd be better off getting a Vespa P200 scooter with the manual 4 speed grip shift.  

Great learner bikes:

-Honda CB 350-750cc : Tons of parts, easy to tinker with, lots of options to customize, totally awesome deal

-'70-'90 Yamaha Cruisers 400-750 : See Honda logic.'

-DRZ400/400SM:  Dual purpose and supermoto bikes are super practical.  Dual purpose bikes with panniers are awesome for saving fuel and still hauling a bunch of shit around.  Just make sure you let your beer settle for a good ten minutes before opening

-KLR650:  Best bang for the buck.  Not fast, but reliable and tons of aftermarket upgrade options.

That's my short list. 

Not to sound like a douche. I am just getting tired of EVERYONE pushing me towards a bigger bike. My intentions for getting a bike is to have a gas saver on something that I can actually go on drives with and have it cost me very little. I own 2 slow ass cars. A 1982 320i and a 1991 jetta 1.8 that weights about 400-500lbs over stock weight. But when I drive my friends 2000 VR6 Jetta. I still take it easy. I am just one of those guys who does not care to floor it around and go fast. If I were on a race track like back when I raced go-karts. Then I would. But on city streets. just looking to get to where I have to go.

Not everyone needs a car stereo that does 148-149 decibels and cost them 4 grand. But I do. Just like not everyone needs a fast motorcycle. I do not want gas mileage worse than 60mpg's. I'd love a BMW F650 if I could find one cheap enough. But that won't happen.

P.S. No beer for me. Only water.

I would definitely agree. I never get on my bike without a helmet. I think every state should have a law requiring helmets, but then all the Harley riders would get pissy.

I would definitely agree. I never get on my bike without a helmet. I think every state should have a law requiring helmets, but then all the Harley riders would get pissy.

Yes. I will be wearing a helmet. But I don't think it should be mandatory. I am a big believer in people should be able to do what they want. The constitution says. "The right to pursue happiness".

Yes. I will be wearing a helmet. But I don't think it should be mandatory. I am a big believer in people should be able to do what they want. The constitution says. "The right to pursue happiness".

I've known far too many people who have died from motorcycle accidents and if they were wearing a helmet, they very well would have survived. I was even riding with a few of them. That's why I am so strongly for wearing helmets AND proper gear.

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk

I've known far too many people who have died from motorcycle accidents and if they were wearing a helmet, they very well would have survived. I was even riding with a few of them. That's why I am so strongly for wearing helmets AND proper gear. Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk

That was there choice though. They new the consequences and the risk they were taking. I am sorry to hear that you had friends that lost your life. That is what scares me so much about getting a bike. They do scare me a lot.

I am going to get a helmet, jacket with armor in it and gloves.

Are armored pants necessary?

I won't be riding in the rain as I really hate getting wet. (i am a little bitch). But I plan on riding whenever I can and in the winter when the road is completely clear of snow. (I live 1.6 miles from work and it's a straight shot to work on a 35mph road with no stop signs).

There is nothing wrong with the 250s. But they get wound out pretty easily, once you get familiar with it you can always get something bigger if need be

Exactly. It's how I started out in audio. Single 12 on a 150 watt amp if that. then it just kept growing and changing.

But i am 23. I have been driving for 6 years. I got to drive in my parents 2004 audi when I was 17 and even then I didn't speed or accelerate hard. Speed is just something I am not into. Casual driving is what I am all about.

Now. If were talking corners or cornering. Thats something I love to do. I love seeing how fast I can get my 320i through a corner. But I find straight line boring.

Dress for the slide, not the ride. There are two types of motorcycle riders: those who have crashed and those who are going to crash. It just happens one way or another and cleaning out road rash is probably one of my least favorite things. Get some good gloves, a good lid,and a jacket. I personally would recommend boots/pants, but I know a lot of people who don't like to wear them because of "looks" now there are companies such as "rhok" that make Kevlar reinforced riding jeans that hold up pretty well during ground time. They look like normal jeans too. Boots are a good choice. When you tumble, ankles like to break - something with ankle support is a good idea. Riding in skate shoes with the laces loosely tied may look cool, but they are completely worthless when you crash. And in my experience, speed doesn't really get you into trouble, it's the fact that no one sees you on a motorcycle

Dress for the slide, not the ride. There are two types of motorcycle riders: those who have crashed and those who are going to crash. It just happens one way or another and cleaning out road rash is probably one of my least favorite things. Get some good gloves, a good lid,and a jacket. I personally would recommend boots/pants, but I know a lot of people who don't like to wear them because of "looks" now there are companies such as "rhok" that make Kevlar reinforced riding jeans that hold up pretty well during ground time. They look like normal jeans too. Boots are a good choice. When you tumble, ankles like to break - something with ankle support is a good idea. Riding in skate shoes with the laces loosely tied may look cool, but they are completely worthless when you crash. And in my experience, speed doesn't really get you into trouble, it's the fact that no one sees you on a motorcycle

well you are describing everything my dad wore. and everything I wore when I raced go-karts.

Kaiser pretty much said it all and nailed it on the head!

I know most Harley Davidson dealerships offer courses usually at a local college lot (hals HD on moorland I know for sure as that's where I looked into). Otherwise there is a company that offers classes in the pettit center side lot off the expressway. I saw them out there practically every day when I went to school downtown. They had a big trailer outside with "learn to ride a motorcycle" on the side. I would start with a Google search ad see what comes up. Or even call any motorcycle dealer locally and see what they know.

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk

Kaiser pretty much said it all and nailed it on the head! I know most Harley Davidson dealerships offer courses usually at a local college lot (hals HD on moorland I know for sure as that's where I looked into). Otherwise there is a company that offers classes in the pettit center side lot off the expressway. I saw them out there practically every day when I went to school downtown. They had a big trailer outside with "learn to ride a motorcycle" on the side. I would start with a Google search ad see what comes up. Or even call any motorcycle dealer locally and see what they know. Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk

The DMV lists all the motorcycle classes in wisconsin. The closest one to me is the harley dealership in Theinsville. So I will do that.

I am looking for gear. Anyone have any good sites? I am not looking for anything name brand. Not my style.

how do I find where to take motorcycle classes. or do they not open up until spring?

I would HIGHLY recommend Road America Motorcycle School. The instructors are awesome, and make it a lot of fun. I took the class this past summer and went into it with a decent amount of off road dirt bike riding, but there were others with no experience whatsoever, and they did very well by the end of the course. They have three different types of bikes to ride (cruiser, enduro, and dual sport) and you are able to try them all out. All are 200-250cc, which is exactly what you seem to be looking for. The cost was $250 and at the end they give you the completion form which you take to the DMV, take the computer quiz, and you have your license.

I would HIGHLY recommend Road America Motorcycle School. The instructors are awesome, and make it a lot of fun. I took the class this past summer and went into it with a decent amount of off road dirt bike riding, but there were others with no experience whatsoever, and they did very well by the end of the course. They have three different types of bikes to ride (cruiser, enduro, and dual sport) and you are able to try them all out. All are 200-250cc, which is exactly what you seem to be looking for. The cost was $250 and at the end they give you the completion form which you take to the DMV, take the computer quiz, and you have your license.

Cool. The harley class I heard is $300.

So the road america one is cheaper. Is it a weekend class? Or a 5 day one?