WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Anyone who owns a motorcycle, I got some questions

jockhater2

I might get a bike. But I don't know what the process is. What do I do for a motorcycle license? Just walk into the DMV and take a written test for the license?

Also what is the law on helmets. Does age matter or does the helmet have to be within a certain year? I would think that the answer is no since a helmet is optional.

What is yearly maintenance for a bike? I know to change the oil every 2000 miles. But my friend says the carburetors have to be re-jetted every year? Is that true?

How long do tires typically last? I assume the rear one has to be changed more than the front?

Written test is to get your learner's permit. I'd recommend signing up for one of the riding classes to get your license. Otherwise you'll need to to a standard riding test on your bike while being followed by someone from the dmv telling you what to do through a headset. Maintenance depends completely on the bike you're getting. Any idea on what you were considering?

Written test is to get your learner's permit. I'd recommend signing up for one of the riding classes to get your license. Otherwise you'll need to to a standard riding test on your bike while being followed by someone from the dmv telling you what to do through a headset. Maintenance depends completely on the bike you're getting. Any idea on what you were considering?

I am looking for a gas sipper. Something that gets 60 +. Honda CBR250 I like or a 2008 or newer Ninja 250. I'd take a BMW F650GS dual sport if the price is right. I don't want to spend more than $3200. But Realistically I'd like a bike that has some road rash and to spend less than $2300. Knocks the price down and cosmetics do not affect me. I could spend more. But I'd rather not.

and my brother wants a 600. He keeps looking at yamaha frzs from the mid 90s.

So is this how I should go about this.

Step 1 is written test to get a learners permit.

Step 2. take a class so I don't have to do a road test at the DMV? How much is the class?

I currently only know 1 person that might let me borrow a bike. But idk. I haven't talked to him in a while. Is it possible to get my license without owning a bike or borrowing one?

You do not need a bike to take a class, they are usually held at community colleges or similar.  They provide 125cc bikes to ride.  I did that to get my license and it was actually helpful with some good technique and tips.  Once you complete the class you get basically a voucher to go to the DMV and they hand you your license.  I had an 87 Honda Intercepter/VFR700.  It was awesome till I paid more in speeding tickets than for the bike...

It had 24k on it when I bought it and I put about 5k on it and just changed the oil, and it saw redline often...  Honda bikes are super solid

Here is my bike when I had it

I also took an msf course when I first got my license close to 10 years ago. Class I took was a full weekend (Saturday & Sunday), the next week I walked into the DMV, took computer test and had my license. Easy peasy! Helmet age isn't necessarily a law type thing, is more of a safety thing. The shock absorbing material within a helmet does deteriorate over time preventing the helmet to protect you as it is meant to. I always wear a helmet no matter what the temperature or weather is outside. I've owned a 1200cc Buell for 8 years and had a blast, but definitely am having a shit ton more fun on my newer Triumph Daytona 675 sport bike. The type of bike you get will definitely come with the style you prefer more. Everyone has their opinions. Just make sure to test sit on different style/makes/models of bikes to see what fits you best and what riding style you like the best as well.

You do not need a bike to take a class, they are usually held at community colleges or similar.  They provide 125cc bikes to ride.  I did that to get my license and it was actually helpful with some good technique and tips.  Once you complete the class you get basically a voucher to go to the DMV and they hand you your license.  I had an 87 Honda Intercepter/VFR700.  It was awesome till I paid more in speeding tickets than for the bike...

It had 24k on it when I bought it and I put about 5k on it and just changed the oil, and it saw redline often...  Honda bikes are super solid

Here is my bike when I had it

I like it! Ok cool. Thank you so much. How do I find these motorcycle classes? I live in ozaukee county. It has mequon/cedarburg/grafton/port washington/saukville

I will be sure to tell my brother about the speeding tickets. I shouldn't get any in my slow 250

I also took an msf course when I first got my license close to 10 years ago. Class I took was a full weekend (Saturday & Sunday), the next week I walked into the DMV, took computer test and had my license. Easy peasy! Helmet age isn't necessarily a law type thing, is more of a safety thing. The shock absorbing material within a helmet does deteriorate over time preventing the helmet to protect you as it is meant to. I always wear a helmet no matter what the temperature or weather is outside. I've owned a 1200cc Buell for 8 years and had a blast, but definitely am having a shit ton more fun on my newer Triumph Daytona 675 sport bike. The type of bike you get will definitely come with the style you prefer more. Everyone has their opinions. Just make sure to test sit on different style/makes/models of bikes to see what fits you best and what riding style you like the best as well.

But there is no law requiring a certain age on the helmet?

But there is no law requiring a certain age on the helmet?

When you have your temps you are required to wear a helmet. And I'm pretty certain under the age of 18 you have to wear one

Don't look at 250cc sport bikes, unless you want to have buyers remorse after 5 minutes of riding.  My very first motorcycle was a 1978 Honda CB750.  The thing was great at low speeds, but would haul some serious ass.  The 250 bikes are so gutless, you'd be better off getting a Vespa P200 scooter with the manual 4 speed grip shift.  

Great learner bikes:

-Honda CB 350-750cc : Tons of parts, easy to tinker with, lots of options to customize, totally awesome deal

-'70-'90 Yamaha Cruisers 400-750 : See Honda logic.'

-DRZ400/400SM:  Dual purpose and supermoto bikes are super practical.  Dual purpose bikes with panniers are awesome for saving fuel and still hauling a bunch of shit around.  Just make sure you let your beer settle for a good ten minutes before opening

-KLR650:  Best bang for the buck.  Not fast, but reliable and tons of aftermarket upgrade options.

That's my short list.