WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

New ride! 89 e30 vert

jc43089

I love those front valances!

Is it factory?  And is it supposed to be white?  I wasn't sure, I hadn't seen one quite like that before, but I am not too familiar with all of the different e30's.

Ill race u backwards in my e28 mine only has reverse now too. Now to find u a manual to swap in there...

Yes.  Does it drive reliably in reverse?  I need to get it a mile or two to a storage unit until spring.

Factory build sheet, thanks to http://www.bmwarchiv.de/vin/

Modellbezeichnung: 325I

Ausführung: USA

Typschlüssel: BB23

E-Code: E30 ©

Karosserie: Cabriolet

Lenkung: links

Türen: 2

Motor: M20 - 2,50l (125kW)

Antrieb: Heckantrieb

Getriebe: automatisch

Außenfarbe: Alpinweiss 2 (218)

Innenraum: (0293)

Produktionsdatum: 16.07.1988

•  

Optional Equipment

S219A: Sport leather steering wheel, 380 mm

S373A: Verdeck dunkel-blau  

S530A: Air conditioning

S540A: Cruise control

S551A: On-board computer II with remote control

S675A: Sound System

S925A: Transport protection package

After waiting for 4 hours for a AAA tow truck to haul the car 3 miles... I got the car to it's home for the winter, nice storage unit 3 blocks from my house so when my e36 is out of the garage I will just drive it over here in reverse. 

As for the manual swap been doing a bit of research.  This seems to be a pretty easy job, this guy on e30tech made a great write up.  http://www.e30tech.com/forum/showthread.php?t=108141

Any tips/recommendations from people who have done a swap before are welcome.  Out of curiosity who on here has done an auto to manual swap?

I would like to use a lightweight flywheel and replace all chassis bushings with street poly ones but in the end this will probably get sold to my parents.  My dad would like a cool car to cruise around in now that the kids are moving out. so I will probably just use OEM bushings.  The writeup mentions using an e21 323 flywheel, it is identical to the "i" flywheel but less material on the engine side, 14.5 pounds instead of 18ish so I may go with that if I can find one for a decent price.

The Ireland Engineering street poly bushings are very streetable and much easier to install than OE rubber. You cant go wrong with OE rubber but you will just need a press to get them in. 

I would plan on removing the engine for the trans swap. It is very simple to do so and makes the swap 1000x easier. I had a stripped top bellhousing bolt and had to pull the whole thing anyways. 

Installing the pedals was by far the biggest hassle. Bassboy and I also discovered a very quick way to bleed a clutch for when you get to that point.  

The Ireland Engineering street poly bushings are very streetable and much easier to install than OE rubber. You cant go wrong with OE rubber but you will just need a press to get them in. 

I would plan on removing the engine for the trans swap. It is very simple to do so and makes the swap 1000x easier. I had a stripped top bellhousing bolt and had to pull the whole thing anyways. 

Installing the pedals was by far the biggest hassle. Bassboy and I also discovered a very quick way to bleed a clutch for when you get to that point.  

I'd also reccomend pulling the engine, its a pain to try and line up the transmission input shaft while the engine is still in the car. Plus as Snap said it sucks getting to the top bell housing bolt. 

Sounds good on pulling the engine, I will be replacing seals and all that jazz so that will be easier with engine out as well.  Too bad the rad support doesn't just come off of the e30's the same as e36's or does it?  Hmm I will have to do some thinking on the bushing choice, I have UUC red RTAB's in my e36 and they squeak because I did not use the correct lube.  What lube have others used and does it have to reapplied after a few years or just at install?