WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

E46 Touring Life

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some of you know that my daily is an e46 325xi touring.  As of recently, it may be going under the knife soon for a swap that was too good to pass up. Found a complete M54B30 with complete

The ship has landed!

Engine & trans have been removed. Couple snags here and there but came out relatively easily. There always has to be an oil spill in one way shape or form as well. Found a bad inner tierod on driv

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, Bassboy3313 said:

Would be a messy weld as it isn't flush with frame surface. Welding on your back in a tight space isn't the easiest either, lol. 

Ah bummer, the nut trick only seems to work well if there is some of the bolt sticking out. Would be very counter productive to accidentally weld it to the car haha. 

Took another crack at it with the extractor but heating it first with a torch. As I was turning the extractor with the tap handle, the entire threaded insert broke loose and fell inside the frame rail. 😳😡

20210325_191031.jpg

Leaving me with an empty hole, a few different ideas came to mind. To keep damage to the frame rail to a minimal, I opted with opening up the hole just enough to snugly tap in a threaded coupling. Ground off the finish and applied a layer of jb weld to possibly help things hold from inside. Left it about 1/16" out from frame in order for the welds to have more surface area to mend with. 

20210327_120741.jpg

20210327_124938.jpg

I then welded it all around, ground it flush to frame, put a skim coat of jb weld to fill any pinholes left over and sprayed it black. Paint is still wet in pic, but you get the idea. 

20210328_140857.jpg

20210328_145231.jpg

Crisis averted!

• 3 weeks later...

Normally all e46s have the rear manual shifter bushing bracket already on the chassis, but of course the touring did not. Went ahead and purchased the bracket from FCP Euro. Had to modify it by cutting the ears off as they were preventing the bracket from sitting flush against surface. Once good, I drilled some holes in the three tabs as well as the trans tunnel and pop riveted the brqcket on with some steel rivets. Sprayed some black paint over everything to prevent rusting as well.

20210413_183755.jpg

20210418_093429.jpg

I also installed the front prop shaft and installed clutch fluid line on brake fluid reservoir and finished the wiring for the clutch switch. This required adding wires to a DME plug and an EWS plug. For this. I went to the pick-n-pull and cut out some plugs with pigtails. I then de-pinned two wires to allow me to attach the new wires right into the plugs like factory.  Then just extended the wires to the clutch switch and done! Sorry no pics of that since it was tight under the dash while working. 

Hopefully will have the engine/trans installed in the chassis this week. 

• 2 weeks later...

Subframe secured, electrical all connected, new slave cylinder and lines installed, front axles installed, new tierod in, suspension all buttoned up, driveshaft/heatshield/exhaust installed, radiator and all hose connections done, and steering shaft connected.

Waiting on all fluids to show up in mail this weekend. Then it's on to changing oil in front diff, rear diff, transmission, transaxle and engine.  Along with new coolant and brake fluid.