WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

jc43089

40 minutes ago, jc43089 said:

I switched back to a flip phone and it takes pictures that aren't worth looking at. 

They still make those?

In all seriousness Im so excited for this you have no idea. So I vote you get a tripod and just set it to take a time lapse. I bet a lot of people would love to see that!

On 2/28/2018 at 8:09 AM, Jdesign said:

They still make those?

In all seriousness Im so excited for this you have no idea. So I vote you get a tripod and just set it to take a time lapse. I bet a lot of people would love to see that!

Yea, original Samsung Rugby, I used it long ago before I switched to a smartphone and now I am back.  I find it too much of a time waster, there is rarely anything useful on the smartphone but I can't control the urge to just pick it up and waste time so I am done with it.  We also don't have a TV at home so I am pretty much half Amish.  I like the tripod idea, most of the shots would probably be of me drinking beer and scratching my head...

Ok Pictars!

Fuel tank removed.

JnXXTQh.jpg

Pump bucket assembly.

9rIVxwO.jpg?1

Integrated fuel pressure regulator.

dM8mkvu.jpg

Venturi thing at the FPR discharge.

R6Q0vtd.jpg

FPR discharges into the hole with the o-ring.  The flap to the left is where the fuel jets back in.

otrK8vR.jpg?1

1 hour ago, jc43089 said:

I find it too much of a time waster, there is rarely anything useful on the smartphone but I can't control the urge to just pick it up and waste time so I am done with it. 

We also don't have a TV at home so I am pretty much half Amish. 

ME TOO. I have a love hate relationship with my phone. I find myself on it wayyy too much trying to find deals on things I dont need. I also find my self on it looking up DIYs and part numbers too. So its a total struggle.

I also havent had a TV for years. I have one now, but I use it as a TV monitor more than watching movies or anything. Obviously to look up parts and DIY's LOL

That tank is awesome and should make life easy. Do you have a deadline to when you expect this to be road worthy?

7 minutes ago, Jdesign said:

ME TOO. I have a love hate relationship with my phone. I find myself on it wayyy too much trying to find deals on things I dont need. I also find my self on it looking up DIYs and part numbers too. So its a total struggle.

I also havent had a TV for years. I have one now, but I use it as a TV monitor more than watching movies or anything. Obviously to look up parts and DIY's LOL

That tank is awesome and should make life easy. Do you have a deadline to when you expect this to be road worthy?

I'm hoping to have it driving in a couple months.  3 car seats are tight across the back seat of the Volvo. 

I never posted anything but we had a son on the 2/17.  Theodore "Teo"  

tC2kjgs.jpg?1

Ok, Canon Powershot in action!

Conveniently the fuse panel is completely connected by plugs so I could get it out of the way.  Not much room in here.

db5LgPn.jpg

A little trimming to the brake pedal bracket.

lVT4sEb.jpg

New bracket for the clutch pedal, 304 SS because that is what's in the scrap bin at work.

TFmSpgG.jpg

Pedal bracket welded on.

gLHeAQl.jpg

Slight modification to the fuse box.

jfBhytB.jpg

Also had to remount the brake pedal switch to the other side of the pedal arm.

Yabvgt1.jpg

Installed!  It looks a little low in the picture because of the angle it was taken at but feels good sitting in the seat.  My wife tested it and approves!

7zRYaEy.jpg

I had a helper for a while, new oil filter housing gasket.  It isn't that old but it was so easy to get at right now and I had one so why not.  I thought I would put new o-rings on the plugs in back of the filter housing but this one has plugs with crush washers which is much better.

WdhFaMx.jpg

After work today I will stop at the local race shop, R&S Racing in Albert Lea, to get some -3 hoses now that I know the length to get the in car plumbing finished up.  I still need to figure out a cable throttle pedal.

Remote Reservoir for clutch.

l5SKFFk.jpg

-AN lines installed inside the car to the bulkhead connectors.

SxvNghh.jpg

Trying to figure out the steering rack.

DBERl33.jpg

Even with the notch it's tight.

zeKr6ud.jpg

So I worked on assembling and timing the top end.  I modified the vanos spline piece a while ago but needed a bolt.  It is not sold separately as a BMW part so I used a modified ARP bolt.  M10 x 1.5 x 60mm.  I had to remove some of the under head flange and some of the head to get it to fit.  I was un-fruitfully optimistic that it would just work because a 3/8" ARP bolt dropped right in and fit flush but the metric ones have bigger heads.  Red loctite and torqued to Gutentite ft/lbs.

osD17Ib.jpg

And I stalled here because I lost the 3 nuts for the intake sprocket assembly.  They will be here Wednesday.

SKu3gyS.jpg

Not pictured but I also finished welding the engine mount arms.  And getting a plan for the transmission support, the driveshaft placement looks excellent, which is good because we pretty much eyeballed it when installing the engine.

12 hours ago, snap said:

Your problem solving skills are top notch, loving the updates!

How about adding a large sch 80 pipe section for the tie rod to pass through, then adding a torch cut 1/2” plate rib on top and below for reinforcement

1bf450d9901821ddd347c094b923de6f.jpg

I like that idea.  I was thinking of offsetting the tie rod ends up with a block, but I looked at it last night and the end of the rack actually goes in almost 2" when at full lock and if I extended 2" before offsetting it would be too wide and hit the subframe at full lock anyway.  I think boxing it like that with pipe is what i will have to do.  Where there's a welder, there is a way.  I just have to do some careful measuring so the tie rod won't hit the tube at any point in the suspension travel.

Still working on the steering setup.  I did some good figuring last night.  It's been slow progress lately, with a 1 month old and butchering some hogs before it gets too warm for them to hang in the barn.

Funny story, my 5 year old is helping scrape the hair off and asks "can we eat the bacon today?"

19 hours ago, snap said:

City boy checking in: cannot relate emoji52.png

Bacon comes from hogs, salt the belly, smoke the belly, then slice it and it's bacon.  Nom nom nom!

After killing the hog you scald it in a barrel of 150ish degree water and the hair scrapes off, then gut it and hang it for a few days.

26 minutes ago, snap said:

Looks like a ton of room on the sides!

There is loads more room on the sides and about the same front to back as it was in an e36.  WAY easier to install exhaust manifolds than in an e36.  

Radiator question.  The stock Toyota radiator is thin, only 7/8" core, should I just run it because the Toyota engine was a similar horsepower so it should have enough cooling capability?  The only problem I can think of is that the reduced fluid volume will not be as nice.  The BMW radiator would kinda fit but I would be making custom straps to hold it and it would not be able to quick release anyway because it is under the top of the core support rather than behind it.  Pros for keeping the stock radiator is that it fits perfect, and the shrouding for airflow is already designed for it.  I guess the fan might just cycle more with the reduced fluid volume.

Thoughts?

There is loads more room on the sides and about the same front to back as it was in an e36.  WAY easier to install exhaust manifolds than in an e36.  
Radiator question.  The stock Toyota radiator is thin, only 7/8" core, should I just run it because the Toyota engine was a similar horsepower so it should have enough cooling capability?  The only problem I can think of is that the reduced fluid volume will not be as nice.  The BMW radiator would kinda fit but I would be making custom straps to hold it and it would not be able to quick release anyway because it is under the top of the core support rather than behind it.  Pros for keeping the stock radiator is that it fits perfect, and the shrouding for airflow is already designed for it.  I guess the fan might just cycle more with the reduced fluid volume.
Thoughts?

People run these 24v swaps all the time with a 318 radiator.

Run it & see