WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

A purists nightmare - E46 drift build

Tkuhn

• 4 weeks later...

SMALL UPDATE.

My awesome girlfriend got me this HoldFast usa steering wheel that I've wanted for awhile.

20181225_101121.jpg

I've also been wanting to get rear door panels back in the car, never really liked the fully stripped look and honestly never felt like dealing with it last summer lol. But with that being said I messed around and found the perfect way to fit the rear panels with my harness bar! 

20190104_204631.jpg

20190105_151205.jpg

was able to use a hole saw to create a round section on the bottom and then my badass new m12 milwaukee dremel to cut the straights 😁 These panels were the ones that came with the car so I did the same as the front panels. Removed the arm rests and used interior paint to make them black. Kinda hack... I'm aware. But I didnt want to cut into my pristine black panels I got with the M stuff. Plus since the fronts were sprayed black they will match better. I'll save the other black panels for when a cage is put in the car in the future sometime.

20190105_154508.jpg

20190105_154527.jpg

And since it was 40 degrees and January I decided to back her out of the garage to sweep up while I had the chance. 

I have mostly everything off the car as I am getting ready for the color change.

20190105_143702.jpg

20190105_143633.jpg

UPDATE.

Rolled the front fenders and rear quarters a bit, I never rolled them before and I wanted to get a little out of them. Not worth showing photos they are just rolled fenders lol.

But I got the rear panels put back together and installed. And I am hyped to have rear panels back in the car.

20190112_000635.jpg

20190112_000657.jpg

Also got a start on making a rear seat delete panel. Made up a good ole cardboard template.

20190112_000707.jpg

Gotta pick up some plastic to cut out but that's it for now.

Firmiliar sight here. Got pretty much everything disconnected to pull the engine and trans out. Planning to check things over along with replace the clutch. 

20190118_224533.jpg

Found out I'll need to replace an axle as one of the boots is starting to seap grease. Also need a new driveshaft because the damn u-joint has some play in it. Wish these u-joints were serviceable 😑

Made an exciting discovery that I can't believe I never thought of before. I've been wanting to get projectors in the low beams on my headlights, after doing some research i found that the OEM stuff can be transferred between housings and all the housings are the same with the same slots and markings for holes whether it was a halogen housing or not.

It just so happens I still have both of the xenon headlights from my 330i along with one of the ones with a broken housing.

I started by taking apart the broken one for investigative purposes. Things looked good like they would work!

20190128_202600.jpg

Stock halogen coupe headlight before:

20190128_173604.jpg

Took this existing light completely apart and deep cleaned it (it came with my car so it had 200k plus of road shit that I couldn't completely scrub put before). I dont have a before photo but here it is all cleaned up.

20190128_194314.jpg

I cleaned up the rest of the parts then drilled a hole for the igniter wires to come our of the housing which then connect to the ballast. 

20190128_195247.jpg

20190128_195624.jpg

The ballast slid right into the coupe housing just like on the original pre-facelift sedan headlights. (No photo but you get the point).

Once the igniter was secured in and all the wires were ran I cleaned up the projectors and the reflective housings. Installed them into the coupe housing and put the shroud into the housing.

20190128_202306.jpg

Now that I know it works I have to do the other headlight but I was extremely happy to find I had basically all the parts to do this.

Next up is to order some new lenses to get rid of the nasty faded ones, I tried to polish them out but new ones are cheap enough. 

5 hours ago, Boris3 said:

Looks good! I don't have the expertise to ask the question correctly but is there any need to reflash the LCM/ECU, or will the changed setup just plug and play?

That has crossed my mind lol. I believe the my will still work for sure. Just not sure how the car will react, like it might think that the headlights are burnt our or something since the data being sent back would be different. It might just say theres a headlight burnt out or something. I need to do the end of that research yet. Either way I know it can be coded in if that is a problem, just need to do the research to get that knowledge. I was going to try and plug it in but the battery is not in the car since my garage isnt heated and I didnt want the battery to freeze up haha

1 hour ago, Boris3 said:

Hope it works, it'll mean that bits from the burnt bowl ZKW bixenons I pulled from my car might actually be worth something.

So a quick search said multiple things. I have AL headlights so not sure how it applys to ZKWs but some said pre 03 (chassis) you dont need to code because the newer chassis have some sort of difference. Others said you have to code the light module for a xenon low beam and some other procedure to make the halogen high beams work. Apparently it can all be done using a NCSexpert. Which I have ZERO experience with lol and I am on the lower end of computer savvy in that sense. 

8 hours ago, wasnt m3 said:

I swapped in oem xenon headlights in a prefacelift e46, which were a direct plug in. Everything functioned perfectly, just had a headlight error until I turned them on. Didn't bother me enough to recode.

Good to know! I'd like to learn to code either way honestly. Have you dabbled it it at all?

3 hours ago, suspenceful said:

I swapped some OEM Xenon headlights into my girlfriend's 2002 E46 sedan that came with halogens. Just unplugged halogens and plugged in the Xenons. Everything functioned as it should, no errors lights either.

Bitchin' hopefully I have the same results. Although it would be cool to learn to code so I could add some features. I also would like to get my key matched to my car since i swapped everything from my 330i and the fob wont unlock the car with the power locks. But not sure that you can fix that with coding