WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

How can I use my steering wheel controls for music apps [E90]

Iceddragon

Question

Hi All,

So I am trying to think of a way to utilize the steering wheel controls on my 06 330xi for listening to music through my phone. I only have an auxiliary port to plug into the phone, so I guess the cars sound system acts like fancy a headset, but I feel like there should be a way to use the up and down buttons to skip songs on Pandora or other similar music apps.

Has anyone attempted to make this work, or should I just fork out more money and get Sirius XM installed?

I'm new here so let me know if there is any additional info needed that I forgot. The car is completely stock in the sound department as far as I know.

Thanks.

16 answers to this question

13 hours ago, straight6pwr said:

Do you have a CD changer?

Ah, the birth of a fresh meme

14 hours ago, patsbimmer1 said:

You're fucked.  Unless you go fully custom theres no way to control apps via the cars controls.

That's what I was afraid of. I guess theoretically I could pick up a dedicated MP3 player and load that thing up with music to leave in the car, I feel like that would work at least.

1 hour ago, Iceddragon said:

Ah, the birth of a fresh meme

That's what I was afraid of. I guess theoretically I could pick up a dedicated MP3 player and load that thing up with music to leave in the car, I feel like that would work at least.

Probably your best bet, iPod integration is built in. Older iPods are fetching good $$ these days though because of their storage capacities.