WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

96 328is Passenger Rear Brake Issue

Earl

Question

This is proving to be a fun issue to try and diagnose....not. Roughly two weeks ago I did my RTABs and on the way home, I was hearing a very faint dragging sound from my passenger rear brake. When I would press on the brakes the dragging would get louder, as if the caliper wasn't grabbing hard enough. I figured I tweaked a hose during the RTAB install or I had a sticking caliper. I replaced the caliper, pads, rotor, and brake hoses. This issue still persists. I removed the hand brake shoes just to rule that out and the noises are still there. I also looked over the hardlines and do not see any kinks or damage to them. At this point I am grabbing at straws to figure out what the issue is. I figure it has to be from the rear tee to the caliper at some point. If it was anywhere before that, I would assume both rear brakes would be having similar issues. Has anyone ever experienced this or may know of what is causing it? 

2 hours ago, Snap said:

Did you try turning it off and on again?

My first attempt would be bleeding that caliper, not to bleed out any air, but just to confirm you have a strong fluid stream getting to the caliper.

Did that and it seemed normal

4 minutes ago, m42b32 said:

Is it possible your dust shield is contacting the rotor and dragging on it? Are you getting more brake dust on that wheel than the other side? 

I forgot to mention there is no noise when the car is on stands and I rotate the wheel. The dust shield has tons of clearance. There is also no extra dust which is odd. 

Maybe an early wheel bearing failure? Its possible to not have noise or noticeable play when rotating it on a stand, but under the weight of the car it could potentially make a faint noise and hitting the brakes could affect the sound. 

Ooor, do you have access to one of those infrared thermometer things? You can use them to take the temperatures of each rotor after a long drive. One being hotter than the other would indicate dragging pads. 

Just throwin' some ideas out there

shooting in the dark here, as it seems like you've eliminate almost everything to do with the brakes/rotor/ebrake/wheels/etc.

the dust plates on the rear diff inputs/outputs can make that noise if they start rubbing on the case or something becomes lodged in them. i guess braking could cause just enough driveline movement to make the sound increase?

25 minutes ago, straight6pwr said:

shooting in the dark here, as it seems like you've eliminate almost everything to do with the brakes/rotor/ebrake/wheels/etc.

the dust plates on the rear diff inputs/outputs can make that noise if they start rubbing on the case or something becomes lodged in them. i guess braking could cause just enough driveline movement to make the sound increase?

I'll take a peek at that. I just find it odd that this happened the day I did RTABs but it has had nothing to do with anything I touched when I replaced them 

11 minutes ago, straight6pwr said:

well if you replaced rtabs, then the whole trailing arm could be slightly moved compared to before, what might this effect? axles/stubs/wheel bearings would be on that list.

It's definitely a brake related issue.

Brand new caliper lol. Lubed to the T. Let's put it this way. From the hardlines to the caliper, there are no issues. 

Just noticed if I lock my brakes up to stop, my caliper sticks pretty good until I start to move. Something isn't allowing the pressure to relieve normally.