WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

I hate people.

i_love_cars

so after i calmed down and had a chance to inspect further in my garage - the cover isn't damaged (amazingly). It's just pressure clips holding it on so the painted cover just popped off. 

all the damage was on the actual frame (black liner). That cracked apart. A quick look at a parts diagram and a trip to ECS Tuning and I was able to get just the black frame in isolation for 30 bucks. Then I just have to disassemble and put the new frame support in. 

i'm still upset and want to run over whoever did this, but at least after shipping it's only costing me 40 bucks to fix. 

Not to sound like "that guy" but my guess is the persons thought process was something like, "oops, i hit that car... fuck it, they drive a BMW, they can afford it"  then they skirted off all proud of themselves for getting away.  Fucking ass maggot.

My wife thinks i'm paranoid for wanting to hook up a camera system outside of the house but shit like this just validates my point.

Thanks guys. I know it's like one big collective blow to the nuts for all of us enthusiasts to see stupid shit like this. Sadly it is often the way of the world these days.

Not to sound like "that guy" but my guess is the persons thought process was something like, "oops, i hit that car... fuck it, they drive a BMW, they can afford it"  then they skirted off all proud of themselves for getting away.  Fucking ass maggot.

My wife thinks i'm paranoid for wanting to hook up a camera system outside of the house but shit like this just validates my point.

Honestly Pat that was the first thought I had when I saw this. I'd like to think that because the person was on a bike they just didn't have pen/paper to leave a note, but that would be probably assuming way too much of people. 

If I did something like that, I'd fucking sit there until the person came back, profusely apologize and give them my info so they could contact me for repair costs. But that's me. 

it sucks. people need to be more responsible, i agree. 

however, i've known people on the opposite side of this as well who have gotten screwed. what if the guy made a quick judgement that whoever's car he damaged was a jerk and didn't want to get in a bad situation either?  too many people in your situation take advantage. you know the 'OMG you scratched my door, I'm getting a whole new door instead of just touch up the one spot.' then the person who did the right thing and left a note gets a $1000 bill for a door scratch.

who knows, maybe the person who hit your car was rushing a dying family member to the hospital.

too many people in your situation take advantage. you know the 'OMG you scratched my door, I'm getting a whole new door instead of just touch up the one spot.' then the person who did the right thing and left a note gets a $1000 bill for a door scratch.

who knows, maybe the person who hit your car was rushing a dying family member to the hospital.

You get +1 internet for stating a very possible scenario that can play out in our sue-happy, mcdonalds eating, walmart shopping yolo society

You also get a bonus internet for perpetuating good vibes and hypothesizing the benefit of the doubt.

Acquire enough internets and im sure you can cash them in for a bitcoin or something

it sucks. people need to be more responsible, i agree. 

however, i've known people on the opposite side of this as well who have gotten screwed. what if the guy made a quick judgement that whoever's car he damaged was a jerk and didn't want to get in a bad situation either?  too many people in your situation take advantage. you know the 'OMG you scratched my door, I'm getting a whole new door instead of just touch up the one spot.' then the person who did the right thing and left a note gets a $1000 bill for a door scratch.

first of all it was a pedal bike. There was a rubber scuff on my mirror cover that I was able to rub off. Highly doubt someone was taking a dying family member to Wheaton Franciscan down jackson boulevard on their bicycle.

Secondly, why should making an assumption about an individual's response alleviate you from being a responsible person and taking accountability for your actions? So a certain percentage of the population may be a douche and try to get more out of you than they should - so what? You made the mistake and hit their car. You are responsible for whatever happens as a result. Don't like it? Pay attention and don't hit people's property and then you won't have to worry about such things. And for the imperfection of when you do screw up, the rare occurrence of that and the ramifications should not scare you away from taking some god damn accountability. If you are a constant screw up and are finding yourself going bankrupt because of mistakes you've made and can't seem to figure it out, then maybe you should just let Darwinism take its course.

If you want to ensure some fair treatment, take pictures on your phone. Then if someone wants to try to get 1000 bucks out of your for a new door, it's on them to hassle their time to take you to court, which they likely won't do. 

It's like saying if you rear-end someone you should just drive away because they may be a jerk and sue you for neck injuries even if it's not really that bad. 

I've been screwed out of money before too, but I rarely make mistakes like that anymore because I've treated that as a learning experience and used it to better myself and my own awareness.