WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

N54 Procede v5... thoughts?

patsbimmer1

Question

I have no expierence with the procede. I did however go from the jb4 g5iso with a Wedge backend flash to the Cobb v2 with Wedge/BQ tuning. First thoughts as soon as I loaded my intial base Wedge flash was how much smoother my throttle response was and according to my butt dyno at the time,more power and smoother delivery of said power. Next is the ease of use with the Cobb for datalogging and overall flashing my car with updates as tuning with Wedge and BQ is progressive. Like I said no expierence with the proced but if its anything like the JB4 I would spend the extra cash and get a used Cobb v2 and hit up Wedge for some tuning.

Pat I know we texted back and forth a bit last night about this but I again can't stress enough about considering what you want your car to do. 

No cobb OTS map will give you more than 100 whp / 140 wtq on the dyno if you're FBO, so the only way to squeeze more out of it will be to get some custom tuning, but you are going to hit the proverbial wall very quickly without e85 and meth. Cobb only has beta maps for e85 right now, and only 30% mixture at that, and no meth control. 

Beyond that, your clutch will give not long after you approach that 450 range. You also will have no hope or prayer of putting the power down unless you are also willing to throw money into the suspension/tires at minimum, and preferably install an LSD (i can't remember if your car is a pre-march 2007 build or not, but obviously will save you money if you have bolted on ring gear instead of welded). 

I had the benefit of stacking up against another local guy with an identical 135 to mine, except he had LSD and wider tires. His car instantly put a length on me, while my backend just went sideways.  Luckily for me he sold his car and sold me his LSD for 1700 bucks :)

It will feel fast to you regardless, but you will not understand just how much traction you are losing until you stack up against an identical car that HAS those mods. 

Unless you are willing to invest in LSD / suspension / tires / clutch, you do not need custom tuning and OTS Maps will work just fine for you, and it will all be very similar between JB4, PROCede, and Cobb. If you aren't gonna be FBO, then the tuning solution becomes even less important - at that point nothing is being done that the DME in the ECU won't handle. Do some research on how the DME works in these cars and you will realize why they are so easy to tune and make power on, but also where some of the limits are. Terry from BMS published some very good information on this at one point. Maybe I will try to dig up the link for you. 

In my opinion, if you want a standalone solution without meth, Cobb is great. A lot of people end up combining JB4 and Cobb, actually. 

I wish you could've driven my N54 before/after the LSD. It was such a drastic difference. My N55 is going to be all about suspension and the track so I will probably never push myself over 350 whp. Handling will be the bigger focus. 

I think for the price you noted from that guy in Chicago, the PROCede is all good. Install isn't bad and again, going back to my comments on the DME - I think you'll be perfectly happy with the tune. They're all relatively similar and no matter which way you go, if you really want something unique you can pay for some custom tuning, like michael mentioned. 

I personally wouldn't of switched to Cobb from my jb4 if Wedge wasn't doing the tuning he is with the Cobb AP. I had no intentions of running Cobb OTS maps. Never even flashed one of them to my car. The day I removed my JB4 I was already working with Bob and Wedge on my base Wedge flash via Cobb v2 AP. And I am refering to Bobdudeman for Fondu Lac. He did my backend flashes when I was running my JB4.

Sorry guys!  I had a busy day yesterday and wasn't able to get on here.

So my initial impression was "Is that it?".  I thought, "maybe I just need to drive it a bit."  So I chauffeured my wife, dad and his fiance around Brookfield yesterday and drove home and still wasn't very impressed.  During this whole time my SES was blinking in 6x increments which I figured was my exhaust flapper solenoid being unplugged because that's the code I had on PROcede intially.

Well, I got home last night about 7 and routed the usb cable through the firewall and set up the data logging and did a reset on the ecu with the hopes that it would make a difference.  Took the car for a drive and logged to find that I only hit 7~ psi in a map that is supposed to hit 14.5 psi.  I logged three more wot runs in 3rd gear with similar results.  At this point I turned to the google machine... first post that shows up I find that the ses blinking in 6x increments means it is vin locked.

At this point I am pissed. :mad:  :mad:  :mad:   The guy assured me it was unlocked and most of the info I found before I bought it said that starting at rev 2.5 all PROcede units were vin unlocked and this was rev 3.  

I have an email sent to shiv from vishnu to see what my next step is.  I figure if it cost's more than $150 to unlock it then I am going to sell it and order jb4.

Now, I do really like the interface in the car and I like the tuning interface on my laptop so I have a good first impression.

This is what happens when you buy parts from non-WIbimmers members. :mad:

This is disappointing. Wouldnt you be stuck paying 150 for an unlock since selling it to someone else means passing on the douchebaggery by screwing someone else just like it was sold to you or disclosing the vin lock and selling it for too cheap?

I would disclose the vin lock of course.  That way somebody would be able to figure the extra cost into their budget.

The guy just texted me back and is sticking to his original claim that it is unlocked.  He offered to contact shiv if I need him to.  We'll see where this goes.