WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

1995 M3 S52 track drift car build

e36t-yost

Question

So i got a 1995 M3 with 99km on it because the odometer switched to that because the battery was dead when i bought it, but anyways, the s52 is in pretty poor condition right now the previous owner tore it apart to do a different turbo setup and never put it on or put it back together so theres some rust inside the pistons and on the cylinder walls, i cleaned up most of the rust with some fine steel wool to take the majority of it off, but now I'm planning to do a full rebuild on the engine and i will be fully caging the car, as well as tubbing the front strut towers, i just pulled the engine out tonight and am going to start disassembling it when i get time, but i was wondering if anyone knows of what brands i should go with for the full rebuild, i'll be using the stock pistons and rods but most everything i want to upgrade so i don't have to worry about it. if anyone has any leads or info to help me out that would be greatly appreciated.

Ik it will probably hurt power but I'm just going with it for now to get the motor together with the turbo and completely rebuilt. from what i've heard from some people is that the cams may help with the turbo setup with the slightly longer duration. but this is my first go round i want to get it together, and see how i like it and go from there

meh not so much a pipe dream just saving up to buy what i need, i have a lead on a full AA turbo kit and am waiting on a response so thats where i stand right now, i've decided to stick with stock internals for this year and keep the power when done around 500 i think that'll be enough to mess with. I've been so busy with work its been hard to give the car any time but once i get the parts i'll make time for it

You're all over the board man. I'd say slow your roll and figure out how you really want to do things, and go down that route. Don't build something you won't be happy with.

And first of all, don't screw around with refreshing stock motors. You can come buy an m50/52

From me, or some junkyard for very very cheap, not open it up, and have plenty of fun all summer. Gotta realize you can make stupid power especially with e85.

And throw away those cams man.

And where did the diy approach go? What's the fun of buying a kit? If I was him, I would have borrow my friends mig welding or something and tac together a manifold, and downpipe, and pay some kid 100$ to weld up my intercooler piping. That's a whole 500$ total. And a whole lot more rewarding.

And then now there is stock Ecu tuning, for very close to nothing, and I could get you setup on a base tune as well.

This is all very affordable, just spend your money wisely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is ironic coming from you.

Ironic? Yes. Is it okay? No. Instead of helping this guy, you guys are just doing the same thing you kind of people did when I was starting down my path. Instead of encouraging this kid and telling him he can do it, and helping him gain knowledge instead of telling him he is doing it wrong and that it's all a "pipe dream"

If 1/10th of the people who told me I'm an idiot, helped Me, I would be YEARS ahead of where I am now.

For all you guys know, this kid could be totally capable, he just needs to be steered in the right direction. At least give him a chance to help him do it right.

All the info is out there, it's just a matter of

Finding the right info, and putting it into play. I spent thousands of dollars and countless hours redue-ing shit because I learned a better option down the road. And in the end all of those could have been avoided very easily if someone more knowledgeable just pointed me in the right direction sometimes.

MAN I HATE PEOPLE. I like cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nothing against the OP - but the initial post of "What brands should I use for the rebuild" already had me out of this thread.

If there's one thing I've learned in my years of modifying cars... It's that the 90% of people saying "You won't" - are right.

Build what you want - how you want it. If you want advice - simply ask... You'll likely get more opinions then you need.

So you just want to blindly follow everyone else before you? Just because they say so? What happened to finding things out on your own, or doing it one way and finding there is a better way? Its not that someone should have told you, but maybe you didn't understand your initial goal well enough to begin with, and after learning more about it by doing it once you have more knowledge you can go back and rework it.

Am I saying you shouldn't ask people for help or suggestions? Not at all.

Do I expect everyone to be all puppies and daisies about it? Hell no.

Do what you want, and if it doesn't work the first time you will find your mistakes, and learn from them.

If you have any questions you can PM me.  From what I have learned over the years is do it right the first time.  Don't cut corners or cheap out because it will come back to haunt you. 

Weld or wire your oil pump nut, always torque down the bolt to their exact recommended spec, DON'T REUSE HARDWARE THAT IS MEANT FOR ONE-TIME USE.