WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

1995 M3 S52 track drift car build

e36t-yost

Question

So i got a 1995 M3 with 99km on it because the odometer switched to that because the battery was dead when i bought it, but anyways, the s52 is in pretty poor condition right now the previous owner tore it apart to do a different turbo setup and never put it on or put it back together so theres some rust inside the pistons and on the cylinder walls, i cleaned up most of the rust with some fine steel wool to take the majority of it off, but now I'm planning to do a full rebuild on the engine and i will be fully caging the car, as well as tubbing the front strut towers, i just pulled the engine out tonight and am going to start disassembling it when i get time, but i was wondering if anyone knows of what brands i should go with for the full rebuild, i'll be using the stock pistons and rods but most everything i want to upgrade so i don't have to worry about it. if anyone has any leads or info to help me out that would be greatly appreciated.

ok so i tore the block down and i was looking at everything it looks pretty good, i have several questions 

1 are mahle pistons stock for the s52?

2 what do you guys recommend for piston rings for boosting it

3 should i get new lowered bearings? (they have minimal scuffs that can see but can't feel. i feel like i should spend the dough to get the super good ones.

4 is getting the crank micro polished and lightened worth the money,

5 should i upgrade the valve train, (valves, springs, retainers) and also would it be smart to convert to solid lifters?

3 should i get new lowered bearings? (they have minimal scuffs that can see but can't feel. i feel like i should spend the dough to get the super good ones.

Stancelife

There is no such thing as "super good ones", coated ones are a waste of money and have no benefit, come to think of it I have only heard negatives lol.

If you wanted to you could replace them with oem ones.

A piston ring is pretty much a piston ring, there are no rings made for boost or NA

I wouldn't mess with the crank, they have harmonic issues at high rpms as is, can't imagine lightening it would be better. 

Solid lifters cost a lot and require grinding of shim caps to set lash.

How high do you want it to rev? High RPM's is where it's harmonic issues will really start to shine, and you will need to purchase an aftermarket vibration damper (~$850)

Food for thought.  

I did my intake cam without any trouble without special tools.  I turned it so only cylinder one had pressure on the valves and with someone holding the square with a crescent wrench so it wouldn't turn suddenly removed all of the other caps.  Then I released cylinder one a quarter turn at a time.  I don't know how close to the line I was though?  I removed my m50 intake cam and installed an m54b30 cam in it's place.

so i picked up some 328 cams for cheap with a whole motor that ate a couple valves to put in the m3 to get it running because m3 cams are just ridiculously expensive and the duration is slightly longer with the 328 cams with a  slightly shorter lift but i think i'll live with it once i get my tax return back, I'm ordering piston rings, new bearings, get the block hot tanked, and honed, and possibly port and polish the head. and probably coil overs on the suspension side of the project