WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

I done did it now... A new toy!

patsbimmer1

• 4 weeks later...

I had my first track day his past Wednesday at Blackhawk Farms and I have to say, it was amazing!  My car performed admirably with no malfunctions whatsoever while running MHD stage 2.  I put new stop tech pads up front and flushed my brake fluid the night before with ATE super 200.  My 2 largest concerns were my brakes and my oil temps and they were both fine.  Oil temps never exceeded 260F.  My brakes did experience fade but nothing catastrophic.  I believe the largest reason for the fade would be my driving at the beginning.  I just had too much brake going in to the corners.  My later laps proved this theory as my brakes held up a lot better with harder braking over a shorter distance.  My tires were awesome!  I had way more grip than I ever knew the car had!

My instructor took my car out for a couple laps and was impressed and surprised by the power.  He has an e90 330i that apparently looks exactly like my car so he was pretty excited to get behind the wheel.  His first wot on the main straight got a "oh, wow!  this really goes!".  I don't think he has ever driven a 335i because until the end of the day he thought my power was stock.  He was a great instructor and I don't think I could have asked for better for my first time out.  He is a BMWCCA instructor and has run in spec e30 as well as many many track days.

Now, as far as I go... I didn't realize how much I didn't know until I got out there.  My first session was just trash!  I was trying to heel/toe while learning the lines and adjust to track driving.  I was getting passed over and over again.  By my 3rd time out my instructor was giving me less instruction and complimenting my lines.  It was nice to have someone in the passenger seat reassuring you that yes, you can in fact brake later while doing 100+ MPH and you won't die.  By the last session out I was driving more aggressively, hitting my lines and pushing my grip to the edge.  I managed to pass a 996 turbo and a c6 on my last session!  My instructor kept pushing me to run them down and get in a passing position!

Needless to say, i'm hooked and I will be back!  I met so many great people at the track with different levels of experience.  There was just about zero ego there. We were all there to learn and we all knew that.  It was refreshing to see that in the car community.  I'll have pictures up later!

that's great Pat - i think you covered most of that in text messages to me but it's nice to read one big coherent post haha. You should definitely sign up for the Aug 1 BHF event with cca. I'll be there so we can hang out between sessions. It is definitely amazing just how much more grip you have on the car than you realize if you've never been on track before. I remember having that exact same sensation my first time on the track. Especially when my instructor drove my car as he obviously pushed it harder. 

I'm glad you want to keep doing it. It makes you a better driver on the street, and it also eliminates any desire to do stupid shit on the street because once you start driving on the track, nothing "pro rally race car KenBlockEnergyBro ragedrift bro" on the street ever feels fun because you can't come anywhere close to pushing the car as much as you can on the track, and you know just how limited you really are. 

1 hour ago, Earl said:

Congrats=) You guys are all making me want a track rat...

16 minutes ago, m42b32 said:

same here...

Not sure i'd call my e90 a track rat earl... lol.

For years I told myself with various cars they had to be at a certain level of mod or have certain parts for me to track them and I came to the realization this was a really stupid train of thought and being on track has confirmed this.  You have to get out there with what you have!  For fucks sake, there was a guy with a new, completely stock Acura TL out there!  Im glad I did this on stock suspension so I can test my limits and a level closer to my own skill and make an informed decision on suspension mods instead of what I read online.

TL;DR:  RUN WHATCHA BRUNG!

28 minutes ago, Snap said:

Love the last 2 shots. Your car corners flatter than I would expect for stock suspension. Unless all the pics are from the out-lap/cool down lap emoji14.png

It did feel pretty flat but I definitely felt the heft in the turns, especially on the carousel.  I could feel the weight pulling the car outside as opposed to tossing the body.

• 1 month later...