WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

I done did it now... A new toy!

patsbimmer1

• 4 weeks later...

Well I have a few updates with pics to come later.

-About 2 weeks ago I picked up a rear diffuser from wiscoE90 and installed that last weekend after repainting it.  Anyone who follows me on instagram (@patsbimmer1) has seen that already.

-I picked up my m3 side skirts from paint this week and will be throwing them on this weekend.

-My water pump took a shit on my way to work on Wednesday so I had it towed home for free thanks to BMWCCA roadside assistance.  I ordered the pump and thermostat yesterday from Turner Motorsports.  I asked if they could get it sent out yesterday morning so I could install it over the weekend and a rep called me up and I told him my wife was due very soon and I wanted to get this done asap in case I needed the car.  They upgraded me to 2 day shipping so I could have it by Saturday AND they threw in a Turner Motorsports "future racecar driver" toddler shirt for free!  That's why I keep spending money with these guys.  There pricing is usually on point but the customer service is above and beyond!

didn't realize the BMWCCA had a new service plan. Can't wait to see the t-shirt on the little guy at meets!

I have their roadside assistance which provides free towing up to 25 miles for any vehicle you give them a vin number for.  I added all 3 of our vehicles.  I almost passed on it but between my Ford Escape with 180k and the confidence I have in BMW's cooling system I went with it.  Boy am I glad I did!

that's awesome. 

I remember when the water pump went on my old 135. Literally right as I pulled into the parking structure at work. I hate corporate america so i got a smug sense of satisfaction knowing that my car was pissing all over their floor. 

I'll come install your water pump if you roll fenders for me !

DEAL!!!

When are you coming over tomorrow?  Mine also died as I was pulling into my office parking lot but didn't piss anywhere.  It went from yellow cooling light to red in about 30 seconds then it went into limp mode and the cooling fan kicked on high.  I scanned it but didn't have any codes and looked it over when I got home and it I couldn't repeat the issue.  I scanned it again with my work scanner and hooked it up to my laptop and checked through the PROcede program while I drove around and got nothing.  I know these pumps typically go between 60k-80k and I just hit 59k so I figured it was a safe bet to say that if it's not "bad" it's going bad and this was an early warning.

So I have had a busy few weeks!  I picked up Wiscoe90's old rear diffuser, got my m3 side skirts painted, had a dead water pump and did a labor trade with i_love_cars (he replaced my pump and t-stat and I rolled his fenders.) and my wife and I had our first child.  Jameson Turner Hamilton!  I have a couple pics I snapped today since I was able to sneak away to the grocery store and grabbed some shots when I got back to show off the diffuser and new side skirts.

I'm not making my car an m3 replica but I am really happy with the way the skirts look on the car.  In person it really gives it a bit more of an aggressive look.  The rear diffuser is really subtle in person.  I had to explain to my wife what a diffuser does and that this one is merely for looks and any under car aero is useless without a completely flat bottom.  She asked me why I did it and the best answer I had was "because it looks cool".  Once a ricer, always a ricer lol.

I bought the side skirts from modbargains and they were more of a pain in the ass to install then I really expected.  Lining up the clips is a nightmare and the replacements you get from modbargains are weak and don't fit snug in the body.  I reused what good clips I had left and ordered a bag of them off of ebay that were much sturdier than the clips that came with it.  I am waiting on a few of the under car clips to come that snapped off on the passenger side when I broke the old skirt and i'll be all set.

side%20skirts-1_zpspr3qsxtm.jpg

side%20skirts-1-2_zpsppppibnk.jpg

diffuser-1_zpsghhjfrth.jpg

yup this thing looks pretty solid in person. I wasn't sure how it would look with the diffuser because that thing really fills out the back end of the car, but I think with the wheels that are on the car it fits pretty well. The sideskirts don't overpower it either. All in all I think Pat's car now looks like a very classy, understated BMW. Not like my car which is loud and obnoxious in every respect like an unruly kid lol.  :lol:

also Pat did a primo job rolling my fenders. I haven't rubbed once with my +45 wheels since. Not surprising cuz he got a full 5mm of clearance which is exactly what I lost going from the +50 wheels I replaced. I'm now excited to get back to the track. I had mad rubbing at RA before the roll so now I can look forward to blackhawk. 

yup this thing looks pretty solid in person. I wasn't sure how it would look with the diffuser because that thing really fills out the back end of the car, but I think with the wheels that are on the car it fits pretty well. The sideskirts don't overpower it either. All in all I think Pat's car now looks like a very classy, understated BMW. Not like my car which is loud and obnoxious in every respect like an unruly kid lol. :lol:

also Pat did a primo job rolling my fenders. I haven't rubbed once with my +45 wheels since. Not surprising cuz he got a full 5mm of clearance which is exactly what I lost going from the +50 wheels I replaced. I'm now excited to get back to the track. I had mad rubbing at RA before the roll so now I can look forward to blackhawk.

I think this is the nicest thing you have ever said to me lol! Thanks man! I must say that your loud and obnoxious unruly kid is one of my favorite cars.

• 3 months later...

Well it's been awhile since I have updated this.  A lot of plans that I had for the car are put on hold due to the amount that I had to spend on repairing a misfire.

The misfire:

I had a severe misfire under load.  At first I thought it was tune related since the misfire seemed to have started right after I switched from an e85 mix map to a regular map.  I tried reloading the tune, resetting the tune, etc.  This did nothing.  I turned off the auto clear function and drove the car for a bit until the SES light came on.  

-According to procede there was still no code besides the exhaust flapper so I tried scanning with my Autel and only had the flapper and catalyst efficiency codes (both due to mods).  I used my work scan tool to try and pull BMW related codes and received the same.

-From here I ran some data logs.  What I could find from the data logs is that I had a misfire (duh) but unsure of what cylinder it was on.  Procede does not have a misfire pid or smooth running value.  I utilized STFT's to determine I had a misfire and it was primarily on bank 2.  

-At this point I started the physical inspection.  I started by checking any and all connections as well as performing a "wiggle" test on all components.  The wiggle test is a technical term of course.  With the car running I wiggled any and all connections I could find to see if this made a difference in the way the car ran.  Nothing.

-After that inspection I started to disassemble and inspect parts.  I started with the obvious, spark plugs.  As I pulled each coil I inspected it for any signs of cracking in the boot or discoloration inside the boot and ohmed each one looking for consistency.  All coils tested fine.

-Each spark plug was pulled and showed no signs of failure. (less thank 10k miles on them)

-Each injector was pulled for a physical inspection and showed no physical signs of failure.

-As I had each injector pulled I reconnected them to the rail without putting them in the cylinder and left them unplugged.  I cranked the car to add rail pressure and hoped to see an injector leaking but had no such luck.  At this point I was looking for a 100% guarantee that the injectors had gone bad before I ordered them.

At this point I had a bad feeling that my injectors had failed due to the drivability symptoms and the physical inspection of other components.  I was able to try another set of coils and this did nothing to resolve the issue.  I ponied up and bought the updated injectors (index 12) for about $1537 from ECS.  For those who don't know, BMW essentially has 2 "styles" of DI injectors.  They have index 1-10 which is the old style and they have 11+ for the new style.  1-10 can be mixed and 11+ can be mixed but you cannot mix the two styles.  This means replacing all of them at once.  The injectors are also coded to each cylinder.  This is done because the ecu is sensitive to the differences in impedance in the injector.

-Installation of the injectors is extremely easy.  If you can change your spark plugs you can change the injectors.  The only thing you need to do is write down the values that are on the injectors before you install them so you can code each injector to that cylinder.

-Coding the injectors is also very easy... once you have the program working.  From what I can gather, BMW has basically used the same program for years now and just updates it when they add new vehicles.  Unfortunately this means that the program has to run on 32-bit windows and nothing newer than Vista.  I tried 3 different lap tops before I was able to get it to work on my laptop with Windows 8.  Do not ask me how because I honestly have no idea.  I have never had so many problems trying to load and use a program.  It works for the most part now but is in about 95% German.  I am still trying to work with this program so I can code functions but as it stands now I can only code injectors.

After coding the injectors the car sputtered for a minute at idle then smoothed out.  I took her for a drive and she ran perfect.  This whole ordeal has never had me so frustrated with any car.  It seriously made me consider selling the car and buying anything else.  Now that it has been over a month and nothing else has come up then I would say I have calmed down and I am again deeply in love with the N54 but i'd be lying if I said I wasn't still a little nervous.

Jordan (i_love_cars) put it in perspective for me once we went over every common fail item that I have replaced since I bought the car a year ago.  Every common fail item has been replaced on this car now and it should be smooth sailing and regular maintenance/upgrades from here on out!

clearly time for bigger turbos and more boost.

Yes.  I keep eyeing up the Vargas Stage 1's.  Maybe next year...  For now I am looking at dropping procede and going into MHD.  I like what I am reading so far.

Did you have to buy the software off eBay like TIS or ETK? Didn't think of this when we talked but maybe running a virtual machine with windows XP via VirtualBox would make running the program less of a hassle.

I downloaded it for free via this link http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=645844.  I tried running a virtual machine and never got it to work.  Like I said, I have no idea why but most of it works right now.  I can't get the software to work to code functions but I can pull/clear factory codes and program injectors.  I haven't played around too much since I am not too fluent in German and going between the program and google translate is a pita.

Great couple of updates. I need to do all 6 injectors at some point as well. Pretty sure I have a leaky one because I get a slight misfire when it sits overnight in colder weather. Goes away after a minute of driving. I've been trying to put off the $1,500 job. It's been hard for me to resist pulling the trigger on some Hexons, but I'm in the middle of buying a house. Probably a good decision that I leave the car alone for a while.

Your car looks great with that diffuser and side skirts!

Great couple of updates. I need to do all 6 injectors at some point as well. Pretty sure I have a leaky one because I get a slight misfire when it sits overnight in colder weather. Goes away after a minute of driving. I've been trying to put off the $1,500 job. It's been hard for me to resist pulling the trigger on some Hexons, but I'm in the middle of buying a house. Probably a good decision that I leave the car alone for a while.

Your car looks great with that diffuser and side skirts!

Thanks man!  I've gotten a few people approach me at shows about producing the rear diffusers so I think it's something I may start doing soon for the e9x platform and eventually the e82.  I had a guy at Cars and Coffee ask me to make one for his e60 M5 on Sunday but i'm not sure there's a ton of people looking for it on that platform.

Yea, let your bank account recoup a bit before pulling the trigger on the Hexons.  I figured out later that my misfire was from injectors 4 and 6 and I can tell you that it was extremely noticeable under light to heavy acceleration in the lower RPM range.  If you can get a scanner to measure the smooth running values then you can pinpoint where the misfire is and verify it is the injector.  Buying injectors was the most painful $1500 I have ever spent lol.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The connectivity issue I had has been with my One Stop Electronics cable.  I contacted Martial at MHD and he helped me work through it to figure out that my cable is the issue.  It seems as though nobody else has issues with these cables so I reached out to One Stop Electronics and they have instructed me to mail the cable back and they will ship me a new one... from China.

I helped a friend figure this out and he ordered a cable off of Amazon for $20 that worked for us.  He is bone stock on an 09 335xi 6mt.  The car is smooth and very driveable with the stage 1 93 oct tune on it with just more oomph.  It has transformed his car and is a lot smoother than the stage 1 procede tune I ran on my car.  I haven't had a chance to log on his car at all but once I do I will report back.

I will say, for the $160 he spent +$25 for the cable and otg cable, it is definitely more worth it than any of the other current options for an entry level tune.  I say entry level because there is not enough out there yet on FBO to really say otherwise for the current stable of options available but it is promising.

• 1 month later...

I installed MHD Flasher and just got my first log done.  I'm really happy with the way the log looks and feel pretty comfortable with it. The difference between the MHD and Procede isn't quite night and day but the MHD feels a bit smoother and my logs look better.  For some reason my AFR's never sunk below 13-12.5 with Procede but with MHD I am under 12 in higher RPM's.  Not sure how to explain that because Snap and I just logged on his Father in Laws 335i with my old Procede and we were hitting much safer AFR's.  Either way, I feel a lot better with this set up and look forward to adding more power.

http://datazap.me/u/patsbimmer1/log-1446424934?log=0&data=4-16-17-20