WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

TehRaydarlover's AWD lover

TehRaydarlover

Yeah that's the goal, should be able to handle pretty much everything I can throw at it when its done. Yeah I was going to shoot it just for fun. I don't think it will see a huge load its mainly just holding the shaft the spider gears ride on. I figured if it is some sort of tool steel it should be nice and hard and hopefully help keep the shafts aligned correctly.

• 1 month later...

Wow never seen a crack like that.  I got a set of LED 9004 hi/lo bulbs coming to try out on the Maxima.  If they work pretty good I am interested in putting them in my new Hella lights for my e36.  Did you/ could you try the LED in the projector low beams to see how the pattern looks?

Yeah it's a pretty impressive crack. The cam and rocker arms that were in it are quite f'd too. I didn't get the lows yet because I have smileys. He said with the bulb placement(too far forward?) it creates a hot spot. LEDs work fine for regular ellipsoids. I might try to do a bi-xenon or just regular hit for the lows. We'll see. Guess I could/should have just tried it with a fog light bulb.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Trying to decide if I should use the head I currently have for my turbo build. It has been ported and had new valve guides and seals installed but it has also been skimmed down to the dimples (can't see them anymore). I would like to use an OEM type gasket and o-ring the block, but with the stroke/rod/piston combination my compression ratio is going to already be on the high end of where I would like it to be. Trying to find a solution to bring my compression ratio down with out causing the head gasket to be the weak link in the engine. The stock head height is 4.925", I still need to measure mine to compare but I'm thinking its going to be significantly less. Using an OEM 2.05mm repair gasket I could get 0.012" back, but I'm not sure its going to be enough. Does anyone know if there is an OEM style gasket available that is thicker than the 2.05mm. My goal for the engine is around 500hp. I've looked at the MLS head gaskets available and you can get a very wide range of gasket thicknesses. Does anyone have any experience with a MLS head gasket in a high power m20? I still need to do more research but this is what I've come up with so far. Any advice would be appreciated!

What kind of CR do you think you would end up with if you go with a thicker oe gasket? Have you thought about embracing the higher compression and running a methanol injection setup?

Otherwise i think the MLS will work fine.