WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Just now, m42b32 said:

When you have the custom barrels made, do you send them a face to take their own measurements and check the fit or just send them measurements? 

Yeah I did send them a face<_<. The rear barrels are PERFECT. The fronts somehow are not. By the looks of them, my assumption is that they shifted on the bed of the mill when they were machined. 

3 minutes ago, Jdesign said:

Yeah I did send them a face<_<. The rear barrels are PERFECT. The fronts somehow are not. By the looks of them, my assumption is that they shifted on the bed of the mill when they were machined. 

Weird. You'd think they would quick check the fit before they sent them out... 

• 2 weeks later...

So, as normal, I tried to get this running correctly again prior to the Brewhaus show this past weekend. I made some progress, but have yet to be satisfied with it perfectly running. I did determine that the ECU I was using is in fact bad, and will need to be serviced. At that, I am still pondering if I keep fighting with the factory ECU, or give up early, call it a lost cause, and just by an ECUmasters and start fresh. This was my plan this winter when the car was down for paint, but since I'm so fed up, I might start early.

I will note that the car drives well if you stay out of boost,(which is still faster than the M20) but whats the point of that?

So this is an OBD1 engine/ecu to begin with?
The nice thing about a standalone is you can tune and adapt for small changes that will make a factory ecu angry, like when people do a pcv breather instead of rerouting it and removing EGR and other systems.

Is the ECUmasters a plug and play unit?

3 hours ago, Snap said:

So this is an OBD1 engine/ecu to begin with?
The nice thing about a standalone is you can tune and adapt for small changes that will make a factory ecu angry, like when people do a pcv breather instead of rerouting it and removing EGR and other systems.

Is the ECUmasters a plug and play unit?

Yes it is an OBD1 Combo to begin with. The ECU's of this gen (A70) tend to have/ develop bad capacitors and they seem to be fairly easy to replace. I am just over dealing with it if that's not the problem I'm going to start smashing things with a hammer.

The ECUmasters does offer a plug in and play option, but I rather just build a new harness and start fresh. They just realeased a new setup and are huge in Australia, have a tremendous amount of positive feedback, and the options vs. dollar amount is unheard of. On top of that, they have a forum linked to their website that handles just about any questions you might have.

• 2 weeks later...

Well... as you have seen above(or back a few pages) I made a custom PS reservoir. Its been consistently leaking and I have tried everything to stop it. I added vents to the cap, new fittings, rtv'd the gaskets etc, but if I turn to quick or sharply, ATF blows out of the reservoir at its weakest point making a huge mess. I finally had the last draw dealing with this trying to move the car in my shop. I bought a Z4 rack on ebay and will install it ASAP. uggh. I hate this car right now.

• 2 weeks later...

Z4 rack showed up. I need to order a steering shaft but at the same time, I need a non ABS steering column as well. I did a boost leak test and found that my turbo is leaking internally, so I think its time to pull that off and finally use the rebuild kit I bought last year. Maybe this is my boost issue?!?! I will post pictures once this happens. Its a fairly simple turbo, but I have never rebuilt one so I am kind of excited. 

On 8/11/2017 at 0:39 PM, Snap said:

um, did you sketch that?!?! (I don't know how photoshop works)

Yes, but it was done in illustrator. Here is the reference drawing / underlay, and a video of showing the process of how it's created:

Vector underlay.jpgVector30.jpg

(as you can tell I'm not finished as I have yet to add color)

• 2 weeks later...

I got a surprise visit from my painter tonight as he delivered my half hood and my license plate. They turned out AMAZING. Im more than happy on the job he did. Im stoked and it gives me ambition to work on this car again now. On top of that, I FINALLY got a tracking number for my new barrels for my Eclairs yesterday. Its only been since April that I bought them and had them shipped from Poland originally. Could my luck finally be turning around for me?!?! Im pretty happy to say the least.

(Dont mind the ugly wheels on the car currently)

IMG_4226.JPGIMG_4227.JPGIMG_4228.JPGIMG_4229.JPGIMG_4230.JPG

I still plan on cutting the Vinyl for the plate letters, but :wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub:

48 minutes ago, jc43089 said:

How legal is painting your plate like that?  The hood looks awesome.  

Its not legal. But the plates are already green, and I plan on cutting vinyl for the letters, so I doubt it will be a problem. and thank you, it looks way nicer that I imagined.

• Jdesign changed the title to 1JZ E30 Vert Build Thread with Pastry filled wheels