WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

I need a vote!!

Rowleym

Okay here's the deal. I have an 01 vw Jetta glx vr6. Here's basically the Craigslist ad:

I am selling my beloved Volkswagen Jetta VR6. I am the third owner, and I'm trying to move back to another BMW. I bought this car with the intentions to keep it for a very long time, but I was steered towards a BMW again by my friend. This car is beautiful, and in perfect working condition. Many MANY things have been replaced with the intentions of keeping the car for a VERY long time. Car has 137,000 miles.

Good

2001 Jetta GLX VR6 - Baltic Green Pearl

Tan leather

Monsoon stereo

Multifunction steering wheel

CLIMATronic

Heated seats/mirrors

Sunroof

337 aluminum sport pedals/dead pedal

4-motion front/rear valances

windows tinted 20%

GHL 2.5" exhaust- sounds beautiful

17" Longbeach wheels with BRAND NEW ALL SEASONS. Literally around 100 miles on them.

New black/red GTI floor mats

Upgraded in-door speakers with Kenwood eXcelon components

H&R Sport Springs

EvoMS cold air intake

Bilstein HD struts

Poly bushings

Recently replaced:

Alternator

Accessory belt and tensioner

Driver's side axle -4000 miles ago

Passenger side axle- 3500 miles ago

Steering rack replaced - 25k miles ago

Oil change - last week, always with Mobil1 synthetic- every 3,000 miles

Brakes recently replaced

E-brake cable 10k miles ago

TIMING CHAINS AND ALL GUIDES REPLACED At 136k

Head gasket, along with exhaust gasket, and intake manifold gaskets replaced.

Rear main oil seal replaced.

Master cylinder

Slave cylinder

Coil pack

o2 sensor

Clutch was replaced with a stage 2 SOUTHBEND clutch. Great quality and I wanted it to last as long as possible. The flywheel was resurfaced at this time

Pros:

Runs great

Relatively quick

The ladies like it

Best sounded car evarrrr

Paint is basically perfect

No rust

I replaced about everything within the 10k I put on it.

Cons:

Needs a new strut

WRONG WHEEL DRIVE

Least reliable car I've driven. Might have fixed that though

Not simple to work on at all

Not low enough

So. Would you guys keep it for a dd? Or sell it for a e3(0/4/6) or e46 maybe.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it was a GTI VR6 in immaculate condition mechanically and cosmetically then I MIGHT consider hanging on to it. I have owned

(2) MK1

(5) MK2 (though 3 of them were parts cars so they shouldnt really count)

(1) MK3

screw all of those cars

VW makes a safe+nice looking car with a smidgen of feel for the driving enthusiasts but I could never own another one unless it was under warranty and I planned on selling it at the end of the warranty period.

On a positive note, if I had never started off with VWs I would have never learned how to wrench on cars.

A person should automatically be awarded an ASE Master Mechanic certificate for owning a VW past 120k miles.

No car is perfectly reliable but I am a big believer that the cost and hassle of potential repairs on a car must be justifiable by how much joy it gives you to drive.

On a positive note, if I had never started off with VWs I would have never learned how to wrench on cars.

A person should automatically be awarded an ASE Master Mechanic certificate for owning a VW past 120k miles.

This is the first car I really started wrenching on. My first real mechanical endeavor was doing my timing chains. This car has MADE me learn sooo much, and it has been a hair pulling time haha. Working on the BMW and the jeep is such a relief because its so easy. I'm glad I started on vw.

For your cons, i'd remove everything, except needs a new strut. the others will be a HUGE turn off for buyers.

The pros and cons are definitely not on the Craigslist ad haha. I have a quite a few people interested in it actually, and someone wants to trade a minty e30 too. 5500 is the highest offer right now.

Is this even a question?? For the price point you're in, I'd look into e46's. I've had e46 daily drivers for the past 6 years, and of the 45+ cars I've owned they have been the most reliable. I put about 25k miles a year on my daily.

The only problem I have is the fact I put 2000$(at least) into it, and finally got it to perfect working order. It's hard to justify that.

The only problem I have is the fact I put 2000$(at least) into it, and finally got it to perfect working order. It's hard to justify that.

If you are 3 semesters into your ME degree and really think you'd rather be a machinist/diesel mechanic/other job you shouldn't look at the time and money you've already invested when considering the idea of changing majors. Its a "sunk cost". Otherwise you may end up sticking with something you dont like and regretting it in the long run.

Cars are not as big of deal as a career choice is, but sometimes you have to take a loss in order to get to something better (like I did when I decided to sell my house)

If you are 3 semesters into your ME degree and really think you'd rather be a machinist/diesel mechanic/other job you shouldn't look at the time and money you've already invested when considering the idea of changing majors. Its a "sunk cost". Otherwise you may end up sticking with something you dont like and regretting it in the long run.

Cars are not as big of deal as a career choice is, but sometimes you have to take a loss in order to get to something better (like I did when I decided to sell my house)

Damn good example.

Mitch, Take the mint E30. or get an E46. Honestly, the VW isn't worth it. Dalton Morris totalled his twice before he realized they're hunks of junk. Get rid of that pile of shit asap

Sell it. The Vr6 is a nightmare. Your very honest in your posting, but the cons are mostly opinions. If the strut is bad, fix it before you sell it. It will make your life a lot easier.

I definitely didn't put the pro's and cons in the Craigslist post haha. It's not bad, but I feel like it might be bad sometime

Soon. Maybe the spring is? One side sits a bit lower than the other.

I definitely didn't put the pro's and cons in the Craigslist post haha. It's not bad, but I feel like it might be bad sometime

Soon. Maybe the spring is? One side sits a bit lower than the other.

Which side sits lower? Drivers or passenger? An which side is the gas tank on.

Little factoid. Cars naturally sit lower on the passenger side, so that when a driver is in it, it sits relatively flat. Ironically, my car sits lower on the left, partially due to me being blind, and because a full tank of gas weighs more then I do.

Which side sits lower? Drivers or passenger? An which side is the gas tank on.

Little factoid. Cars naturally sit lower on the passenger side, so that when a driver is in it, it sits relatively flat. Ironically, my car sits lower on the left, partially due to me being blind, and because a full tank of gas weighs more then I do.

Duh. It's on the side of the gas tank. You may have solved it, because it rides just fine.