WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

M20 Turbo => M50 turbo fun.

Rowleym

Awesome! Wish I worked in a machine shop, so many toys  :cool:

I've been working there for six months now(today-woohoo I get a raise) and it's honestly amazing. I love doing what I do. It's never the same, and I'm not just doing one job.

Oh, and having the keys to the place is just a bonus haha. And it's always 72 degrees in there so I have never broken a sweat.

So Mitch dropped his MS3x off at my place for testing and whatnot, and he had purchased it from someone who built it. Needless to say what I saw was a bit scary, and it doesn't work.... I will let the pictures do the talking.

IMG_20140127_223249_183_zps071dc8c9.jpg

Parts not sitting on the board, touching other things

IMG_20140127_223236_917_zps1744b11f.jpg

Melted pots (grey block)

IMG_20140127_223227_030_zpsace9cf9b.jpg

More parts off of the board

IMG_20140127_223216_345_zps1c212339.jpg

IMG_20140127_223137_946_zpsfd8603f8.jpg

Long wires that should be trimmed, melted PCB, some wires were touching the case

IMG_20140127_223119_253_zps0e02fd35.jpg

Total mess

IMG_20140127_223104_936_zps53ca0027.jpg

Very melted, some pads pulled through, solder pooled together

Have fun tuning your idle with massive injectors 

Yea I think I might have to do staged injection for cost purposes. Good injectors that idle well at well into the 1000$ range. I'm thinking I'm just gonna buy the injectors I thought I had (Seimens deka 80lbers) which will be fine for the stock dme for now and e85. 

This is looking great, is there a reason stock radiator hoses won't work?

Because the radiator will be in the rear of the car, if I used the same size hose, I would have a HUGE cooling capacity. I can't really get a definite answer on what size I should use, So I just based it off what dsm guys used (3/4) and added a little extra for the extra 2 cylinders :) 

I'M CLUELESS ON COOLING SYSTEM. Not really though, just need some guidance. 

Missed the part about the rear mounted radiator, not sure where to get them but aluminum hard lines would seem great, are they going through the inside of the car?  Stock WP?  It might be worth upgrading to the stewart one for pushing coolant that far.  I have one, it's fast!

Honestly not sure yet. I know for a fact I will have an electric water pump as well, but I'm not sure if I'm going to delete the stock WP and tstat just yet..

And I'm building this car to FD spec so I think I have to run them outside of the cabin.. I'm going to look for aluminum hard line now!

• 3 weeks later...

So I've been working on the e30 lately.. Almost done getting tangled in wires. Just gotta finish running grounds.

uhary5ag.jpgepunedes.jpgu3egu9en.jpg

Such a stupid amount of time went into that.. 2-2-5" v band transition. Waiting on some rod to finish it up.

I'll mount everything up once it's finish welded, and then pull the drivetrain and subframe and cage the bitch. With the cage install comes the rear radiator install, polycarbonate, and I have a new chassis harness to install. I'll be making aluminum subframe mounts, buying rtabs, and making some softer diff mounts.

I think I will be going with Broadway static coils. Only a couple more things to decide..

Questions- any ideas if smoked lexan is legal in the rear door windows and rear window? Cousin has some left over and I think it looks good.

- anyone have a tubing bender local?

Thanks guys.

So the charge piping is officially complete. And the intercooler is mounted. Worked slick. Anyone know of a good place to get good v band clamps? Hopefully affordable.

I would like to let everyone know that I have 13.5" of cold side 3" intercooler piping and 1-2" of hot side 2.5" piping. Good right? I hope. Goal is quick throttle response(in the future more goals will reflect on this.)

8udy5ejy.jpg7yvu8yha.jpg