WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

M20 Turbo => M50 turbo fun.

Rowleym

tumblr_llk9b0S2mT1qfgb83o1_500.png

Saito doesn't drive an IS

IMO, it is better to have more frontal area on an intercooler than more core thickness.  Extra core thickness should come after your space constraint for frontal area has been maximized. The heat removed from the fins at the front of the intercooler will provide hotter air and less convective cooling as it travels through the core. 

Well.... I maximized the frontal area I would say. I'm mounting my radiator in the rear. Hey, while we are at it, link me to a radiator I should buy with a couple fans! haha. Man I'm lazy. But yea basically there isn't much in front of the intercooler, and I was actually thinking about some ducting. I'm trying to make the intact piping as short as possible. http://photos.motoiq.com/photos/i-KK2cWqB/2/L/i-KK2cWqB-L.jpg

Thats the url to the photo of his intercooler. I hope that helps?

Anyone have any opinions on radiator line size? I would love to do some hardline aluminum or something.. Anyways, I still need to purchase a water pump(electric) and mount the radiator and stuff. I gave in and bought a manifold though.. Too cold to work outside and build one haha. Car should be together real soon here. 

Also, I just picked up the obx manifold. Tons of good reviews on it as its a 666 copy, and they seem pretty strong. They made over a 1000hp with it so ill be good? ill be bracing it as well. I ditched the twin wastegate thing as I didn't think I should need to bleed off much boost ;) My fuel rail is getting here next wednesday, So Ill be able to finish up most of the install. Ill upload a shit load of pictures next weekend after the manifold gets here. 

I'm stupid and should have bought a different manifold but it will do for now. My turbo is t3 exhaust housing split, but the manifold is t4 open(future turbo). So I built an adapter quick at work. 1/2" thick mild steel. Cold rolled. I still have to ball end it but I had to eat dinner and I'm impatient(I'll probably do it tomorrow).

7amaby3u.jpg

Yes definitely an odd size.  BMW just has to throw some curve balls in there.  The strangest thread pitch combo I have seen is on my Land Cruiser the seat belt bolts are a 7/16-20.  The reason I found for that is so that they do not get mixed up at the factory and use the wrong bolts because every other piece of hardware on the truck is metric.

Yea I just wanted something so I could mount up my turbo and finish the fucker. I can really only work outside on the car on the weekends. By the time I heat up the garage enough to do anything on the week nights, it's bed time(8pm- get done with work at 5.) so I just wanted to find something local so I can get some stuff done. But anyways, I ordered from the carr

I'm stupid and should have bought a different manifold but it will do for now. My turbo is t3 exhaust housing split, but the manifold is t4 open(future turbo). So I built an adapter quick at work. 1/2" thick mild steel. Cold rolled. I still have to ball end it but I had to eat dinner and I'm impatient(I'll probably do it tomorrow). 7amaby3u.jpg

More Pics!

I'm stupid and should have bought a different manifold but it will do for now. My turbo is t3 exhaust housing split, but the manifold is t4 open(future turbo). So I built an adapter quick at work. 1/2" thick mild steel. Cold rolled. I still have to ball end it but I had to eat dinner and I'm impatient(I'll probably do it tomorrow).

More Pics!

Tapatalk finally works on my phone now so you guys will have a bunch of pics here shortly.

So my turbo didn't really fit with that manifold... So I cut some of it off. jysama8e.jpgdata9usy.jpge6u5uty7.jpg

Fuck you and your 5 bolt flange.

Sorry.

Anyways, I'm welding a v band flange into it. Not sure if 4" or 3.5". I want the smallest one but the smallest I think I could fit would be 3.3" anyways I'll have to look into how they measure v bands.

Got the turbo mounted, but my brother is in the garage and it's a little bit too cold out to work on it. So.. This weekend!