WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

E39 M5

TehRaydarlover

Small update! The timing chain guides are done, just about to drop the front sub frame to do the rod bearings. It was a pretty scary sight as I pulled the timing chain covers. The plastic cover on the center guide was broken up and completely gone. The chain was riding on the aluminum base of the guide and actually contacting the lower timing cover.  Luckily it doesn't look like it was running like that for very long, probably the majority was me test driving it and pulling it on/off the trailer. All of the guides, tensioners, chains, and seals have now been replaced and the top end is pretty much back together. It should be interesting to see what the old rod bearings look like after 150k. They'll be replaced with WPC treated bearings and new rod bolts, hopefully then I can get this thing back on the road and enjoy it!

Subframe and upper oil sump came off yesterday ...what a pain in the ass. I got the first 4 rod bearings out last night. When I pulled the first two I was regretting doing this job because they looked perfect for 150k, but after cylinders 2 and 6 I was glad. The top half shells are pretty worn but the crank journal looks great! :)

I'm going to pull the remaining 4 today at some point. Also cracked rods are pretty cool, instead of being made out of two pieces the rods are made from one and cracked at the joint giving you an extremely precise fit.

20170211_202245.jpg

22 hours ago, TehRaydarlover said:

I could probably do it haha. The guides weren't too bad, just time consuming. Dropping the K member to do the rod bearings was a pita.

I'll be dropping the K-member/subframe for some welding and powdercoating anyway.  If interested in the job(s) PM me with what you are thinking.  Car is on a lift in a heated/cooled shed with good lighting.

On Thursday, February 16, 2017 at 8:00 PM, i_love_cars said:

hopefully this will be ready for spring. I would like to see it at a meet

It's been going back together lately, the top end is buttoned up and I got the upper oil pan on tonight. I've got another parts order to make, but it's coming along. 

On Thursday, February 16, 2017 at 9:11 PM, BMWben said:

I am late to this thread but how amazingly clean is that car? I got my e34 540 from Texas and I can't believe how clean it is. That state mummifies cars. I'd buy every car I ever own from that state if I could. 

It's stupid clean haha, even the exhaust is rust free. It's a nice change of pace from my beater haha. I was hosing it off today with a garden hose after work, and blew a golf ball sized hole threw the passengers door lmao.

14 hours ago, TehRaydarlover said:

The bolts that hold the pump itself together? Or that hold the pump to the engine? Either way they were all tight. 

I think I'll be doing an oil change after the first 50 miles just to try and get any left over pieces out, or at least a filter change.

I've had them both loosen on the m60b30's. One motor had 3 pump case bolts out and several loose and the other had one mounting boot out.

I'd locktight them all when you put the pump back in so you don't have to worry about it later.

Forgot to message you. We'll see, I want to make sure engine doesn't explode before I say I'll work on someone else's lol. I like to think I know what I'm doing, there are a bunch of nuclear and fossil power plants running at 100% because of my wrenching/engineering, but this is my first time dealing with anything with more than 1 cam haha.