WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

New BMW Convert!

I finally found my "perfect" 135i just a few miles from my house hours before I was about to book a plane ticket to pick one up in Florida! 2013 135i in mineral gray with coral red boston leather interior, DCT, m-sport package, non-navi (I love the clean dash lines) with only 17,000 miles! Best part is she even came with a full set of alloy BMW rims and snow tires! Glad to join the fun! Pics below (just rained so she's a little dirty).

image1.JPG

image2.JPG

image3.JPG

1 hour ago, suspenceful said:

Nice! I think you'll be the third 135i on this board. Looks very clean, love the coral interior.

Any reason you had your eyes on the 135i instead of the 335i? Is this your first BMW?

Great question!  This is indeed my first BMW but I have always loved the E36 and E46 era cars styling.  The 3 series have just eeked up there in size for me and I love the look of the 1 series as a sort of "throwback" to that era of classic BMW's.  And of course, I couldn't resist the 135i over the 128i once I drove it, and I wanted the N55 (over N54) hence why I ended up with a later 1 series.  It's just a total blast to drive and the MPSS make it so sure-footed in the summer!  I came from a Toyota FJ cruiser and Mini Cooper before this so it's a whole new driving experience for sure!

17 hours ago, patsbimmer1 said:

Good answer!  Any mods planned?

I still have warranty through next fall so I'm a little gun-shy about doing too much.  I'm considering starting with the PPK1 and doing a few cosmetic tweaks.  Any suggestions?!  My only gripe so far is that I already had her in for the SIB 12-15-14 update to solve the throttle lag / lurching and stalling and the service advisor I had was a real genius.  He actually tried to explain the stalling to me as BMW's start/stop feature, which I absolutely do not have...needless to say he didn't like being wrong which was irritating. 

An aftermarket

51 minutes ago, WiscoGirl said:

I still have warranty through next fall so I'm a little gun-shy about doing too much.  I'm considering starting with the PPK1 and doing a few cosmetic tweaks.  Any suggestions?!  My only gripe so far is that I already had her in for the SIB 12-15-14 update to solve the throttle lag / lurching and stalling and the service advisor I had was a real genius.  He actually tried to explain the stalling to me as BMW's start/stop feature, which I absolutely do not have...needless to say he didn't like being wrong which was irritating. 

A tune is a must but is hard to justify if you value your warranty.  The tune will completely transform the car but you roll the dice as to whether or not the dealer will say anything. PPK isn't a bad option to maintain your warranty but the gains aren't really worth the money spent.  The Dinan tune would give you more kick and still maintain the factory warranty but you're going to pay about twice as much.

What dealer are you using?

glad to see you made it to the forum. I'm pretty sure you and I are the only N55 people on here. 

Where are you located? I wouldn't worry about voiding the warranty because these cars aren't known for any sort of catastrophic failures - it's moreso the little things like water pump but at 17k miles you are so far away from that it's not worth worrying. You will likely be out of warranty by the time that happens at 50k miles, unless you're like me and drive 25k miles a year cuz you love driving BMWs. 

All that said, because you have a 2013 N55, you may not have a lot of tuning options anyway based on the DME in your car. I haven't done the research to know exactly, but you may be pretty limited and the BMW PPK may be your best option. 

In my opinion you should probably just get some wheels and a coilover setup. 

2 hours ago, patsbimmer1 said:

An aftermarket

A tune is a must but is hard to justify if you value your warranty.  The tune will completely transform the car but you roll the dice as to whether or not the dealer will say anything. PPK isn't a bad option to maintain your warranty but the gains aren't really worth the money spent.  The Dinan tune would give you more kick and still maintain the factory warranty but you're going to pay about twice as much.

What dealer are you using?

Yeah...my husband works at a race shop in town and they do some pretty incredible things but I ended up considering the PPK1 just for the warranty aspect.  I'm at Zimbrick but was pretty underwhelmed with my first experience in the BMW location.  I used to be a Zimbrick Acura customer and they were great though.  Anyone use Zimbrick and have a service advisor they like?

Just now, WiscoGirl said:

Yeah...my husband works at a race shop in town and they do some pretty incredible things but I ended up considering the PPK1 just for the warranty aspect.  I'm at Zimbrick but was pretty underwhelmed with my first experience in the BMW location.  I used to be a Zimbrick Acura customer and they were great though.  Anyone use Zimbrick and have a service advisor they like?

I've used them for warranty work and liked them.  I always work with Brian when I go in there and I believe a couple other guys have used him as well and were pretty happy.  What race shop does your husband work at?

17 minutes ago, patsbimmer1 said:

I've used them for warranty work and liked them.  I always work with Brian when I go in there and I believe a couple other guys have used him as well and were pretty happy.  What race shop does your husband work at?

I didn't work with Brian, thanks for the tip, I will make a point to connect with him next time!  My husband is with Kelly Moss Motorsports in Madison.  They do some pretty insane stuff...needless to say it's fun to talk "shop" after hours! 

Kelly Moss... I'd say "pretty insane stuff" is an understatement!  Those guys are known world wide for their racing program and Porsche prep!  But you knew that already lol.  I'd guess you make it up to Road America once in awhile then?

3 minutes ago, WiscoGirl said:

I didn't work with Brian, thanks for the tip, I will make a point to connect with him next time!  My husband is with Kelly Moss Motorsports in Madison.  They do some pretty insane stuff...needless to say it's fun to talk "shop" after hours! 

2 minutes ago, patsbimmer1 said:

Kelly Moss... I'd say "pretty insane stuff" is an understatement!  Those guys are known world wide for their racing program and Porsche prep!  But you knew that already lol.  I'd guess you make it up to Road America once in awhile then?

Yeah...so maybe that was a grievous understatement but a lot of people don't find it as amazing as it is, it really is a phenomenal shop that most people don't' realize is right here in town!  We absolutely make it up to Road America when the team is racing there...it's fun!  Since you get what a great shop it is, up until now we didn't have a fun car at home...my husband just liked to change the oil and drive personal vehicles until they died!  His last truck was a Tacoma with 330,000 miles (that they bought back from us in the frame recall otherwise he'd surely still be driving it) and he's now in an FJ Cruiser that I was previously driving!  It took a bit of convincing to sell him on the 135i but I'm having a blast with it so far! 

4 minutes ago, WiscoGirl said:

Yeah...so maybe that was a grievous understatement but a lot of people don't find it as amazing as it is, it really is a phenomenal shop that most people don't' realize is right here in town!  We absolutely make it up to Road America when the team is racing there...it's fun!  Since you get what a great shop it is, up until now we didn't have a fun car at home...my husband just liked to change the oil and drive personal vehicles until they died!  His last truck was a Tacoma with 330,000 miles (that they bought back from us in the frame recall otherwise he'd surely still be driving it) and he's now in an FJ Cruiser that I was previously driving!  It took a bit of convincing to sell him on the 135i but I'm having a blast with it so far! 

Wow, that's a ton of mileage although not surprising for a Toyota.  The FJ is a pretty awesome SUV but not the same kind of fun as the BMW.  I can't believe that with his background at Kelly Moss he wouldn't have been the first to dive into a "fun" car!

7 minutes ago, patsbimmer1 said:

Wow, that's a ton of mileage although not surprising for a Toyota.  The FJ is a pretty awesome SUV but not the same kind of fun as the BMW.  I can't believe that with his background at Kelly Moss he wouldn't have been the first to dive into a "fun" car!

Yeah...a lot of people say the same thing but he's also a competitive shooter and hobby machinist so it's hard to fit all the hobbies in!  He's been toying around with the idea of a 7 series powered rat rod so I think the home project realm is gaining more traction...I credit the 135 for this :)