WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

E39 wheel question

Delias95

Question

Okay I have a e39 (97 528i)  I just bought it a few days ago and to my surprise I realized I am running 3 17 (style 256) and 1 18in BMW wheel not sure the style. Any how I read that e39 have a 75.1 centric bore and most other series have a 72 or around that. I believe the style 256 are series 1 wheels which would have  a smaller centric bore correct?  Also I believe the one 18in wheel is also a 3 series which would be a smaller bore as well. So my question is how are these on my car? I snapped a few pictures to show that they seem to be fitting well any explanation would be great I don't want to damage anything . I can't upload pics but if you can help me I can txt or email them..

59 minutes ago, wasnt m3 said:

E39 wheels have a 74.1 hub bore while all other BMWs have 72.5, making wheel options very limited. Those wheels look like they're off an E90 and won't work.

This is where I am confused I bought the car with these wheels on it . I understand the hub centric sizes ect. But this car somehow has these wheels and I posted pics above of the figment

2 hours ago, rampelsauce said:

In order to figure out proper wheel fitment, you need to make sure the offset is correct.  If the offset is negative enough, you may be able to use a hubcentric spacer adapter.  A couple companies make them.  

I don't want to run them. They are on the car and I'm tryin to figure how these are being ran on it 

Those aren't 1 series wheels, Style 264s are 18" wheels. The pictures you took are of Style 137s from an E46 (17x7" ET47 with a 72.6mm hub bore). I have no idea how they're being ran, unless there is an adapter in there. Take the wheels off and find out. Otherwise the hubs could've been swapped, although the I'm not sure why that would be the case.

Find out if there is an adapter in there and then get all matching wheels/tires. Different sizes in the rear are bad for your diff. Front isn't as bad but I wouldn't recommend it.

Those are not style 137s.....i just looked through all BMWs wheels, and this style is not any of them.

EDIT: suspenseful found them, style 256s.

2nd: i see no spacer. when looking into the hub like that with the bmw cap removed, you'd see the wheel, then the spacer, then the hub. not the case here. it looks like the wheel's centerbore is fitting nicely around the hub.

First off, I misread your first post. I thought you said they were Style 264s, but you clearly said Style 256s.

You are definitely correct, they are Style 256s from a 1-series, which have a 72.6mm hub bore.

http://www.bmwstylewheels.com/bmw/256

Someone got creative mounting your wheels, or they are an aftermarket replica. It's easy enough to take a wheel off and find out what's behind it or going on in the hub bore of the wheel. I doubt it, but the previous owner could've got them bored out... not sure why though.

Got pictures of the 18" wheel? That might give another clue to the hub bore situation.

1 hour ago, suspenceful said:

but the previous owner could've got them bored out... not sure why though.

exactly!  why the hell would they even bother with wheels that fit the e39 like crap. terrible high offset, 17x7 size, etc. However, the fact that they even bothered would also lead me to conclude that they are dumb enough to try and grind the bore out themselves...

It almost looks like there is a seam in the hub section of the rotor (red arrow). Also, I thought the hub section looked super thick, which would potentially address the high offset issue. The two red lines you see are the exact same length. Obviously the perspective isn't perfect, but it is close. There is no reason the hub should be as thick as the rotor surface is.

Just take the wheels off and see if there are any markings or stampings on the back. Take a picture of the mounting surface on both the hub and wheel when you have it off.

...now I'm curious, lol.

e39.jpg

Okay I was lucky enough to have zach help me out on some wheels. There where no rings or spacers.   Also found that one wheel was an 18in idk what style. So was previous owner was not smart!!!! Idk how they fit but they did lol.  Now I'm this cold I opened up driver side door and it wouldn't close finally closed now it won't open fml I'm too big to crawl in and out this car lol... Any tips on this one...?

16 hours ago, Delias95 said:

Okay I was lucky enough to have zach help me out on some wheels. There where no rings or spacers.   Also found that one wheel was an 18in idk what style. So was previous owner was not smart!!!! Idk how they fit but they did lol.  Now I'm this cold I opened up driver side door and it wouldn't close finally closed now it won't open fml I'm too big to crawl in and out this car lol... Any tips on this one...?

The latch is either freezing or the handle assembly is taking a crap on you.  You can buy a new assembly from the dealer that is keyed for your car but it's not cheap.  I believe when I had it done on my e36 325is maybe 5 years ago I bough it from Concours because they were the cheapest.  I want to say it was around $200.

39 minutes ago, patsbimmer1 said:

The latch is either freezing or the handle assembly is taking a crap on you. 

i have had multiple times when my e30 doors would not stay shut went it was crazy cold. I rode holding the door with my hand (and once anchored it with a bungee) until it warmed up enough inside the car and then the door would shut. the latch was fine in function otherwise so I chalked it up to moisture freezing things up so blasted the internals with a silicone lube i believe.

in general, all old BMWs i have experience with (e30s, e34, e36s) have had issues with freezing locks/latches. bad luck maybe. i dont know maybe other people have the same issues with other brands too?