WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Bench Mill CNC Conversion

CMart

Question

Does anyone have experience with this?

I picked this up this weekend from someone who has no experience with it. I need to sell the cnc stuff and use it as a hand mill or figure out which software to use and have some fun with it.

Everything works, I just need to figure out the computer part.

16353400188_8020fc861b_z.jpg

17 answers to this question

I've definitely got my work cut out for me. After some research this seems to be a pretty common build. He basically bought a harbor freight bench mill and followed an instruction book on what to buy for the conversion. I just need to retrace his footsteps, make sure all the right parts are there, and find some compatible software.

I've wanted on of these for as long as I can remember. This is probably a good learner unit before jumping into a 5 axis.

There are a lot of steps between that and a 5 axis (that made me lol).  going through the footsteps is your best options.  Basically you want a user friendly software that can import/create DXF files that you can then program with.

The biggest problem you will have is the general stiffness of the unit.  You will have to make very shallow and slow passes to keep everything straight and accurate.  Very cool unit though.

WOAH MAN! Thats awesom
e! I'm sure I have plenty of tooling you could buy/borrow/play with and I have all the other resources you would need as well. Our machine shop is located in Green Lake, which is 30 minutes west of oshkosh. 

Half my job is CAM programming, so I could totally help you with that. BOB CAM is about the cheapest you will get, and it totally works(we use it on occasions, I'm very proficient in CAM programming) 

But anyways, if you have any CNC or machining related questions reach me here or 9202847917. I'm currently running a 3 axis mill while I am typing :) I love cnc. 

After taking the back off of the control unit it is all starting to make sense. 

16593013988_50329e9e05.jpg

The three vertical blue boxes on the left are inputs for the three axis. Now all I need is to buy an old desktop with a parallel port and start experimenting with some free software out there before I commit to buy one. Everyone online says an old $25 machine is all they need so I will be searching Craigslist to find something to fit the bill. I am thinking about buying a nice metal stand for this and building in the computer and screen so it all one clean unit.

And I almost forgot the best part. Since this was part of an estate sale I got a pretty smoking deal on it since I bought it as is. The guy I bought it off of didnt know all of what went with and I didn't either. He threw in a couple chips/boards that I found out had nothing to do with the CNC and they sell for more on Ebay than I bought this whole thing for. SCORE.

I didn't do the conversion, just figured out to make it work after it had sat unused for a while, I remembered it when you mentioned mach 3 software. I went to school for electromechanical technology associates degree and that was my final project. The next step was to get the tool changer functional but we ran out of time.

Sent from my potato phone