WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

First BMW You Remember

YoungCR

Doing a little #TBT post today. What's the first BMW remember or rode in? This is me at 2 years old standing next to one of my Dad's 528e's.

post-2724-0-89246400-1420743905_thumb.jp

Riding in the backseat with my grandma who also owned a 528e at the time.

post-2724-0-89384700-1420743912_thumb.jp

Also found a cool picture of camping up in door county with my grandparent's Rover and the Airstream.

post-2724-0-88261600-1420743987_thumb.jp

Also it's funny how things don't change, E28's getting towed by Suburban's

post-2724-0-85995300-1420744036_thumb.jp

Sadly I couldn't find any pictures of my Dad's Alpina E21, but I can remember riding in that car too.

Not sure if any pictures exist, but I remember at 7 or 8 my uncle came over in his brand new 86-87 3 Series.  He still has it to this day in Colorado.  I should ask him the specifics of what it is sometime.

I remember when it was going to rain he offered me $100 if I could catch all the rain drops before they hit his car.  I failed.

Wow! Awesome pictures Chris! Dont lose those

My uncle had a royal blue 325e and a red e30 vert when i was 12-13. Probably the first time i remember being in a BMW.

My best friend in high school was given his dads white 1984 318i which was purchased new by his dad (this was in the year 2000)

It had 84k miles and was in excellent shape. The car was autocrossed, beat on quite hard, and eventually broke a rocker from enough bouncing it off the limiter. I mention that car just because it was memorable from all the time i spent in it but his next car, an 89 325is was the first BMW that made me realize I needed one of my own

1973 Bavaria. Maroon. My Dad and I picked it up in Fon Du Lac at what was then I believe Valley Imports just on the south side of the entrance to the airport. Had it for 24 hour test drive. My Dad wanted to lease it and they disagreed by $20 a month.

They  wouldn't budge. He wouldn't budge. No Bavaria in the driveway.

I have no BMW history before I bought mine, just found it on craigslist in Milwaukee and my mom drove me to check it out, I was 19 at the time.  I did not know what to look for and found out shortly afterward that the head was cracked.  It wasn't all bad though because it was/is a fun project.

I first rode in a friends Avus e36 328is while I was going to school at UTI.  It was straight piped and I couldn't have had a larger smile on my face.  

I also had some older friends while I was in high school who always talked about the e36 M3 like it was some mythical beast.  At the time the e46 m3 had just come out so the e36 was still fairly new.

Cool thread.

I'm in the never-even-rode-in-one-before-I-bought-one boat. I decided I was going to buy a 2nd "nice" car for summer, and drive whatever other POS I have around at the time during the winter. I was looking for something RWD, small, light, fun-to-drive, and not a Miata. I like BMWs because they don't look too "sporty" (tuner-ish) and they make practical daily drivers. I really wanted to get a 2002, but I would have spent my entire budget on the car. Going with the e21 I have money left over to do some work on it and make it the way I want it. I haven't done any real work on it yet, but it's been a great car. Put lots of miles on it this summer driving around the countryside, searching for curvy roads and trying to improve my driving. Already have some good memories with the car. Looking forward to making many more in the future.