WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

528i

Guest emosun

Guest emosun

i only joined becuase we have a very old 528i that's be sitting in the weeds in our backyard for two years. it overheated one day and we just bought a new car. there's no bmw dealers anywhere near here and nobody is qualified to fix or repair it

post-3499-0-12263000-1408132694_thumb.jp

Guest emosun

My plans where to fix it , but nobody wants to help at all. People keep trying to steal parts from it and it drives me crazy!

I keep asking for help everywhere and every single response is , "don't fix it , give me parts for cheap". But i want to fix it , is there a repair forum anyone knows of where someone can help me in fixing the car and won't simply try to get me to sell it?

Welcome, Where are you located?

Best thing you can do is spend the $40 on a Bentley E39 5 series repair manual. That way you'd have a book right by your side to read step by step while replacing the head gasket and cooling system.

Forums are best for troubleshooting problems and asking questions. There are plenty of knowledgeable guys on here willing to help.

I have rebuilt an m50 and replaced a head (most likely what yours needs) on an m52 (your engine) before, plan on spending about 2k for a re manufactured head and replacement of cooling system parts and other parts that are good to replace while doing the job.  It's not hard, just takes some patience, the car may have a few other problems from sitting like seized brakes but that shouldn't be too bad to take care of.  How many miles are on it?

^What he said.

Check the coolant level. It seems obvious, but when there's no description of the problem beyond "it overheated", it's pretty hard to diagnose anything.

Just because there aren't any BMW dealers doesn't mean that there isn't anyone "qualified" to fix it in your area. From your posts it's unclear what you're expecting. Do you want someone to fix it for you, someone to come to your house and diagnose the problem, or advice on what to check to diagnose it yourself?

You say that no one will help you fix it, but it appears that you haven't made any effort to diagnose the problem yourself. I'm not trying to be a dick, but if you want help you need to provide more details, and ask more specific questions. Looks like a nice car, don't let it sit back there in the weeds too long.