WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

The E46 M3 Journal

DrLeadFoot

I am going to try to always do my own work and make time for it even with my busy schedule.  Every time I go back over a shop's work I always find something wrong. 

Kummrow has cost me lots and lots of money with re-using one time use parts and over torquing everything they touched on both the e30 and e46. I just hope to god that they torqued the head down properly.

Urban Motorwerx did a good job on what they did but didn't find any exhaust leaks on 4 of 6 cylinders?!  They did find some loose nuts and missing studs but never mentioned that the gaskets might be bad or the leaks were still there.  And the oil leaking from the back of the valve cover has me concerned that they reused the valve cover gasket but I will never find out for sure.

My new approach is working hand-in-hand with Dan the Exhaust Man.  He builds roll cages, drag cars, and the like.  A finish carpenter turned mechanic.  Details, details, details.  Takes his time but moves fast when he needs to and he has me helping out.  We got the headers out in two hours of me pulling up to his shop. Now cleaning up the contacting sides of the head and headers, removed and cleaned all of the studs, brake clean in the head holes for the studs and will do red loc-tite to secure them.  Slapping some copper sealant on the gaskets when we install them and using NEW OEM 11mm nuts that will be snugged up.

I'm actually surprised at how not-shitty those winter wheels looked :D

They were fun for a little but the 19s transform that car.  Actually proud to drive it again.

Update:

I hopefully will get to the bottom of this too rich issue.  I finally got the laptop to talk to the ECU.  Waiting on Tuning Tech to unlock the software and then I can do some logging.  I'll get the tune right and go from there.

I talked to Frank Smith at Tuning Tech and he thinks the bank 1 and 2 pre-cat O2 sensors are crossed or not getting a good reading being tucked into the bung too far and not in the stream of exhaust flow. 

I am still waiting for them to send over a key code so I can unlock the software and see if the the O2s are crossed by watching the lambda codes.  They are supposed to rise and fall in unison and do opposite ways if in the wrong banks.

Did a thermostat on the bimmer.  I think the old one was stuck open and messing with the tune.

Pretty easy access.

16864701061_e6c4173e29_b.jpg

Three 10mm and one hose clap and she is off!

16678323660_634aa40aaf_b.jpg

Shiny

16245752133_1139017404_b.jpg

I have to use at least a couple zip ties for good measure.

16678318710_3a367afa4c_b.jpg

Well the engine light came back on but my computer doesn't recognize that there are any.  I think my O2 sensors are crossed and I will start doing some digging.

• 1 month later...

Showed the M3 some love today.  Full wash, vacuum, wiped down the interior and did the windows.  3 hours of cleaning!  I used to detail so I like to think I'm pretty efficient.

Also replaced my fuel pump relay located in the trunk, passenger side.  61357892976 part number black relay.

17438124736_ecf7e27dcd_b.jpg

17276513420_033378d698_b.jpg

17464108245_da3541971c_b.jpg

17464102865_dd19133e81_b.jpg

17464097255_b37477e492_b.jpg

17276291318_2b1b0e7626_b.jpg

17276276788_a39cfb2d70_b.jpg

17276273798_04d8ac5a1f_b.jpg

It's like a scab...  you gotta pick at it.

17276269388_4bfeea5df5_b.jpg

I noticed a difference in power delivery immediately.  Smoother and a lot quicker. I got pretty excited so I went over to O'Reilly's to scan and clear the computer.  Too rich bank 1 & 2.  After clearing it I took a mild drive up to Bayside then took Lake Dr. back home.  No light and I averaged 21ish MPG!!!!!  I was getting 13 before.

Will the M3 be back at its full potential?  Will the infamous engine light stay dark?  Stay tuned in to the next adventure of the 2003 money pit!  Sponsered by the Cabelas Club VISA.  Rack up your card, mount racks on the wall!

17464026345_21b9061ca7_b.jpg

Still need to microfiber the interior to get the streaks and dust cleared off everything.

17437980956_ed5dc86610_b.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Pre Cat O2 sensors have been replaced with OEM parts and triple checked for the correct position. 

Now I'm getting these codes:

DME,DME Number: 7842975 Current: 2159.4h Last Cleared: 2158.3h
140,1,38,2480,Knock Control Deactivated/Knock Protection
175,1,80,5120,Fuel System Diagnosis Bank 2
149,1,38,2040,Fuel Level

I have just cleaned my filter and re-oiled it.  I'm going to drive it all day today to get any extra oil out of the filter then I'll install the new OEM Mass Air Flow Sensor. 

Do I need new knock sensors??!!

Light is back on. I guess I need the fancy BMW scanner to recalibrate the ECU with the new MAF sensor.

Also I'm going to spray brake cleaner around the intake manifold and throttle bodies while the car is running to see if there are any vacuum leaks.

If all this still results in a engine light Frank Smith will send me an ecu to pop in to see if my ecu is bad. From his experience the coil drivers in the higher milage cars get lazy.