WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

The E46 M3 Journal

DrLeadFoot

Got her back!

I keep getting a random cylinder 6 misfire so a new coil is waiting to be installed.

The rear tires were shot so some new rubber was mounted.  Michelin Pilot Super Sports all around.  255s in rear and 245s are in the front.

The tires really make it a whole different beast.

• 2 weeks later...

I got the coil from BMW so I think the boot came on it.

The exhaust system was tweaked a bit from the headers.  A lot of pressure is put on that one mount so they break due to me not getting the muffler tweaked the opposite way.  This is on my to do list now because the muffler is cracking to due the pressure.

Moral of the story is spend the $$$ on the Super Sprint headers from the get go.

You had one bad coil? Trust me...replace all 6. If one goes bad...the other 5 will go soon after.

This is dumb advice. So say one control arm ball joint goes bad, your suppose to replace the other side as well? Please give me all your old parts when you do this. I'll use them when my car breaks.

This is dumb advice. So say one control arm ball joint goes bad, your suppose to replace the other side as well? Please give me all your old parts when you do this. I'll use them when my car breaks.

I sure would replace the other side. I always do things like that in pairs =) Just like if you have one bad rotor, you do both

I have observed 4 out of 6 coils fail on a Honda J-series within a 6 month period.  bigjae may have experienced something similar on his own car and is simply trying to offer helpful advice.

cool your fuggin tits. 

Guest bigjae1976

OK. Well...I guess my 12 years of driving and maintaining E46s is telling me the wrong answer. But carrying 6 spare coils to the track has saved me a tow home twice. Just sayin'.

And when one control arm with a non replaceable ball joint goes bad...you actually are supposed to replace both sides.

Timmy gets a little opinionated sometimes. Don't mind him.

I will be replacing the #3 coil because it doesn't "snap" over the plug and sits loose. #sketch

I know i do...haha. Backyard mechanics annoy me sometimes. I see no problem carrying spare coils but not uaing them until one actually fails. Also #3 coil boot is probably your issue not the whole coil. But maybe you want to carry 3 sets of spares just in case.

Always do stuff in pairs!!! if the car is already on stands and you have the tools out... why not!?! Also if one is going bad, the other is normally not all too far behind...

• 3 weeks later...