WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

E46 328ci

Guest 328ci

Guest 328ci

I like it!  Keep it clean, keep up the maintenance, keep searching for lightly used parts on the forums. 

Cut a spring for the mean time.  One coil never hurt anyone...#gatewaydrug

Thanks dude! I like keeping up with maintenance, I like having the peace of mind. Its not completely sound as of the moment, but I've taken care some of the the things that needed the immediate attention. Hope to continue replacing things through out the year!

I'm tempted to cut a coil in the front...

The trim looks gorgeous man!  The car is going to get where you want it but slow down and enjoy the process right now.

Thanks man! I want to enjoy it, but I also want my vision to become a reality.

Pictures from up north soon after I do some editing 

• 2 weeks later...
Guest 328ci

Attempted to do the brakes tonight. Got the passenger side done, but the driver side caliper wasnt compressing the full way so I couldnt slide the caliper over the rotor. Probably gonna have to rebuild as the boot looks to be messed up, the passenger side one looked in a lot better condition

Guest 328ci

I'd say those puppies are toast. No symptoms of a sticking caliper or anything though, they did put up a fight trying to get off the rotor, on the driver side only.

LhNPAOFl.jpg

k6Dk8qrl.jpg

Guest 328ci

This caliper had the bracket attached to it. It has BMW engraved on the caliper, was just not expecting it to be all one piece. Got them bleed and all buttoned up, shes good to go

ZZRsdI4l.jpg

Shouldve cleaned the struts...

Guest 328ci

Just reading about doing the subframe and diff bushings has me seriously dreading doing it. Sounds like such a PITA. But it really has to be done, and when they are I feel like the car will feel completely different. Then I can finally stop worrying as well.

Guest 328ci

Yeah there are, do not have a welder though. Have a friend that might be able to do it...definitely would be the time to do it.

Getting the subframe out shouldnt be too bad (I say that now...), but more so time consuming. Having the emergency brake lines running through it is going to be another pita. My biggest concern in the whole thing is getting the bushings in and out of the subframe/differential. I've researched and thought about it and have decided to go with rubber over poly. Two main reasons being cost and ride quality. I can do the whole subframe and diff for $100 cheaper than it would be to just do the subframe in poly. Also the ride quality, and the stress that they are going to transmit to other components. The only benefit to them is the install, but it isnt worth imo. There is a bushing press at work but I hear people have to trouble with the subframe.

Does anyone have a bushing pulling/pushing tool? or a link to a good one to make?

Don't have any knowledge on the differences between your bushings and how mine were in the E30 - but a long chunk of threaded rod and some nuts/sockets should get them out. Worse case - do what I did in some: Swiss-cheese the bushings and pull them out in pieces.

Car looks great BTW - Moar lows will help with the esthetics IMO, but a good looking car overall.

Guest 328ci

Don't have any knowledge on the differences between your bushings and how mine were in the E30 - but a long chunk of threaded rod and some nuts/sockets should get them out. Worse case - do what I did in some: Swiss-cheese the bushings and pull them out in pieces.

Car looks great BTW - Moar lows will help with the esthetics IMO, but a good looking car overall.

This seems to be the general consensus on how to make your own bushing puller. I'll have to look into it further on how to make one. I do like your idea of just beating the shit out of them.

Thank you. You dont have to tell me twice that the car needs more low lol. I think once I get that, the car will be at where I want it aesthetically, besides an Mtech II rear bumper and either a M3 or Mtech II front bumper

Maintenance comes first though, so the plan is after I take care of the rear end is to go through and figure out anything else that needs immediate attention. Then modzzz

Guest 328ci
Figured out how to photoshop a car lower.

Estimated ride height from springs:

14480571189_8b9a3015c5_c.jpgI can dabble by durty30, on Flickr

Where I would love to be, but probably wont. Depending on the suspension route I go:

14480567529_92cd2ded81_c.jpgYes by durty30, on Flickr

We got some new cutting compound at work today so I wanted to try it. First washed the car and then clay bared the hood (the only part I buffed). I then used the cutting compound followed by a polish. Finished off with a carnauba wax. The feel is really smooth, but I wished I would have had some of my buddies Zymol. The bead isnt bad either, I took video.

30ab3wj.jpg

I shot it vertically, im sorry. But you can really see the depth and shine in the paint.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...