WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

My new 1995 540i/6

BMWben

I was thinking today and last night and I guess I have realized the brake petal getting increasing harder. It would make sense that pressure in the system is constantly building up and then finally causing the brakes to stop relaxing. Another thing is the mileage on car, when I replaced the old calipers they were literally falling apart from rust (I broke one of the bleeder screw clear off) so there could be easily be rust in the system messing stuff up. Of course being a poor college kid I had to go with the quick fix but that never works out and here I am. For me to be able to get it to a shop, do you think I could open one of the bleeder screws to release some pressure from the system, possibly relaxing the calipers for enough time to get me to a shop. My car is not in a position so do any sort of work as of right now so doing a full bleed or trying to look/work on something is completely out of the question.  

I'm not sure if they are compatible but I have a bunch of e39 brake parts of you need anything.

I'm not sure if they do either but I'm in South Carolina right now for school and I'm trying to drive home in a week. Thank you for the offer! Maybe we can work something out though.

AAA ftw, why wouldn't they tow it. Just don't try to have them pick it from a repair shop, huge hassle, just get out to the road in front and say it quit there. Tell them it is rwd so they don't send just a front lift truck. You should request a flatbed truck. Sent from my potato phone

I'm trying to get it towed to a specific shop but I think it will work out. 

Also small update, car is going to this new shop I found. Guy is a grad from The Citadel (my college), he is a great guy, and him and his partner have 60 years of BMW experience. They had a spot open Thursday so hopefully they can get it done before the weekend.  

AAA will tow it to any shop or your residence, they will not want to drop it off at a storage unit however.  I had my e30 towed supposedly to my house but the driver just took it to the storage unit I wanted it at that was only 6 blocks away, he said if they ask tell them it went to your house lol.  I have the 100 mile plan, totally worth it, one hook and its paid for itself for the year.

Well the damage report came back today and it was minimal! Turns out the linkage that went from the brake petal to the master cylinder rusted up (Damn Canadians) and that's what was causing the brakes to freeze up. He just took it apart and lubed it up and suggested I find a none rusted one from a junk yard eventually. I was expecting some huge problem and it was a under $100 fix so I pretty damn happy and I can leave from home on time. 

• 1 month later...

So there is a lot for me to talk about since I haven't posted for a while and there has been a series of dramatic events regarding my car.

To start the story, I'm an idiot. I was screwing around in the snow with my friends and with the combination of fresh snow and no snow tires I ran my car into a mail box.

2015_02_08_12_49_09.jpg

That's the damage, I bent the hood out a little today but it's not going to make a different. I'm lucky that was it wasn't anything serious but it was a good amount of damage for how fast I was going (not fast, 15 tops). I had to get that out there quick.

Before all that Chris and I got a chance to start attacking the rust a little. We took a little grinder to all the rust on the doors and then covered it up with vinyl.

2014_12_30_21_10_05.jpg

2014_12_30_21_11_20.jpg

2014_12_30_21_10_26.jpg

2014_12_30_21_10_57.jpg

2014_12_30_21_10_46.jpg

It turned out pretty good! I barely notice it at all anymore even though the vinyl is matte black. We only got to two of the doors so I'll finish the rest down here.

She even got a interior detail before I messed her face up

2014_12_31_16_14_15.jpg

That all I really got to this winter, time and money constraint held me back but I'm coming up with a new plan of attack for this car. Since I made my own customization to the front of the car, I've decided which the odometer at 437259 km (271700 mi) this car deserves a much needed tear down. For spring break I'm going to drive her back up to Wisco and park her in the shop till many much needed repairs happen. The list is pretty long at this point,

Upper/lower control arms

Tie rods

Wheel bearings

Engine Mounts

Completely new drive shaft

Transmission flush

Deferential flush

Trailing arm bushing

Rust, rust, and rust

New hood

Euro smiley projectors

Cat delete

Coilovers

Engine refresh (Engine mileage is probably close to 200,000 at this point)

I'm going to do it right and get all of this stuff done before she gets on the road again. It's probably going to take me a long time being I go to school down in SC but it will be worth it in the end to get her into the shape she deserves. Since I have to do so much work on the front end, I might as well take the engine out of the bay, do a good refresh to get some of the ponies back. I don't want to do a complete tare down but at least get the heads off to get them ported and get a good idea of how the engine is looking and of course replace lots of gaskets and whatnot. And with the engine out of the bay it will be much easier to get the work done on the front end with all the extra space. It's going to be a long drawn out process but will be worth it in the end. I'll be driving something else back and forth from SC so I don't have to punish this car anymore but that car is still being determined. Also if anyone knows of a Oxford Green hood out please let me know.       

• 3 weeks later...

Update on the wheel project. Had them unmounted a couple of weeks ago and then yesterday I managed to muscle the rest of the 102 bolts off. The last wheel was stupid corroded together, it took an extra large hammer to get a couple bolts out but eventually it was finished.

2015_02_22_17_22_20.jpg

2015_02_22_17_59_27.jpg

After a quick wash they are ready for the next step, stripping the old finish off with Jasco and then sanding away all the imperfections.  

• 1 month later...

So I'm the "care taker" of this again while Ben is on an expedition down south to bring back some southern doors while finishing up the semester.

One of the tank straps rusted out so replacement in order. Left side was in and out in 3 mins but the right took 20 because I couldn't get the hook out. I need some long handle picks! 

IMG_0103.JPG?v=0&p=9&x=1&a=BUNaL65TFC5iA

IMG_0106.JPG?v=0&p=9&x=1&a=BWfiygwapUnnA

While I was down there I noticed the one exhaust clamp for the muffler was just free and the others were getting loose. I bought a M18 Fuel 1/2" drive impact so I decided to "fix" this issue by pulling the muffler. This thing is a huge! Seriously almost 20lbs

IMG_0104.JPG?v=0&p=9&x=1&a=BftkAp0XLTESA

IMG_0105.JPG?v=0&p=9&x=1&a=BQvF3c9Srp1vA

So now we have another 540i in the chopped exhaust club. Same results, great sound! As Earl pointed out the muffler has a welded section on it. I honestly think this "Dinan" exhaust is just stock modified so Idk if those tips were just thrown on? Anyways fun stuff, I'll get a proper video made next weekend.

This is the video Chris sent me right after he finished Saturday. I don't know why but the video is pretty quite but make sure to listen for Chris laughing like a little school girl at :32 

He also reported back that there is no extra noise on the highway besides when you punch it. Moral of the story is muffler deletes for everyone. 

id like to hear it Chris. i will be redoing my exhaust soon and I'd like to have a reference for m60 with no muffler before I decide to hack mine off.

I'll give you the keys Saturday! I'm curious if extending the pipe will change the sound but it's very dailyable as is. With the windows up it quiets up things too.

I plan on making a better video. I had the microphone pointed the wrong way on my phone and it picked up the highway noise at the shop over idle noise.

• 2 weeks later...

Replace the DS Front wheel bearing over the weekend. First time doing a wheel bearing and it's not a bad job.

Ordered all 4 parts and followed the instructions as described by http://www.bmwe34.net/E34main/Maintenance/Suspension/WheelBearing.htm

The old bearing was a French made part and I'm guessing it failed because the dust cap on the end wasn't repalced however long ago. I was able use a standard gear puller with a peice of flat slotted stock to put over the end of the spindle to screw into.

Car had the typical high pitched whine/squeal as described in the E34 page and that has since gone away! Sorry didn't take any pics.

• 2 months later...

Ben replaced the fan clutch, fan blade, serp belt, water pump and heater core earlier this week.

We found out that there is a early and late memory seat harness for e32 and e34's, the changeover date is early 93 but I forgot which month. Apparently you can swap the harnesses and all memory functions will still work including the power tilt wheel. For now the '89 750i drivers seat purchased from TCD is wired up just to slide back and forth until I have time to pull a e32 harness from a yard.