WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

'83 320i - Daily Driver Edition.

Guest Ryan

scDqXw6.jpg

Found an amazing deal on an E21 locally and couldn't pass it up...

She was a one owner car, that has been parked for nearly 28 years. 

Beautiful condition, though still has several small flaws through out. 

Hope to slowly add things here as I bring it back to its former glory. 

- Ryan

congratulations sir, she is a looker

Thank you! The paint is truly mint. It is the interior where things start to need mending...

Dash cracks, only one sport seat on the drivers' side, the rest regular. The fact it is blue, etc :)

Congrats and welcome! Good to see another e21 and in good shape too!

Thank you, and a thank you!  I plan to follow the other e21 builds closely, as they may have 'spare' parts that I deem needed for her!

cool car! e21's just hit the spot. 

Thank you  :D

I do believe I'm starting to like it more than my old e30. 

Though I've learned to drive a bit slower nowadays, so that lends itself well with the E21.  :P

whoa! that thing is in great shape.

Glad to see you back in another BMW. What is your intent with this car? 

Due to how nice it is, I was thinking more of an OEM "plus" sort of feel. 

I'd love to throw megasquirt on it, but fear that may detract from its value down the road.

More than likely once all the bushings, rubber, suspension has been resfreshed I'll just get some BavAuto sport springs.

Would really like to buy a carpet kit and all new seats, and convert the smurfy blue to black. 

Maybe nice 15" basketweave type wheels at some point. 

I'm looking for a Nardi hub boss for an e21 to attach a new old stock Maseratti wheel I found online as well :)

Very clean looking e21 man! Welcome to the e21 club! :cool:

Hey there, thank you!

I've been reading through your build ever since I found this one for sale.

I'm sure you'll be hearing from me when I find one in a junkyard :P

There was  that gorgeous red 323i e21 at  concours that had been upgraded to Motronic 1.3. 

You could do an E30 318i EFI swap  for something to clean it up and maintain factory fit and finish. 

If I had an e21 I would do an E30 EFI swap, then build megasquirt off of that harness. Without doing a big NA build or turbo the megasquirt would mostly be a play-thing and not so much a necessity, 

There was  that gorgeous red 323i e21 at  concours that had been upgraded to Motronic 1.3. 

You could do an E30 318i EFI swap  for something to clean it up and maintain factory fit and finish. 

If I had an e21 I would do an E30 EFI swap, then build megasquirt off of that harness. Without doing a big NA build or turbo the megasquirt would mostly be a play-thing and not so much a necessity, 

Oh absolutely. I have it all in my cart at diyautotune... haha. 

I think to an enthusiast it wouldn't likely lower the value of the car.

man oh man. And I thought mine was in good shape.

Epic find.

And for under $2000 :X

Good deal! What color is the car?

Silberblau  :)

Oh absolutely. I have it all in my cart at diyautotune... haha. 

I think to an enthusiast it wouldn't likely lower the value of the car.

And for under $2000 :X

Silberblau  :)

Damn. That is a good deal. Just so you are aware before you do all of the aftermarket tuning to it. If you were to put that E21 on ebay. You would get about $4000-6000 for it. I watched a light blue E21 that was in fair condition go for $4200. It had beaded seats, a dent in the rear bumper and other issues and he still got a lot of money for it. If I were you...maybe ebay it.

Damn. That is a good deal. Just so you are aware before you do all of the aftermarket tuning to it. If you were to put that E21 on ebay. You would get about $4000-6000 for it. I watched a light blue E21 that was in fair condition go for $4200. It had beaded seats, a dent in the rear bumper and other issues and he still got a lot of money for it. If I were you...maybe ebay it.

I've considered it, especially since this one is sitting at only ~20,000 miles. 

But it does have weird quirks, like the original owner I bought it from had it as a winter vehicle for 3 years from 83 to 86.

Then parked it in his hangar and only started her up a few times a year since and drove around the hangars in the airport.

He accidentally cut the driver's seat once upon a time with a box knife, and replaced it with a single sport seat.

Definitely has its own quirks.

I've also watched a good number of good condition ones not sell for much at all. 

There is one on Craigslist right now out of Chicago with some 40,000 miles and he's asking 6,000. 

Doubt he'll ever get it!

I've considered it, especially since this one is sitting at only ~20,000 miles. 

But it does have weird quirks, like the original owner I bought it from had it as a winter vehicle for 3 years from 83 to 86.

Then parked it in his hangar and only started her up a few times a year since and drove around the hangars in the airport.

He accidentally cut the driver's seat once upon a time with a box knife, and replaced it with a single sport seat.

Definitely has its own quirks.

I've also watched a good number of good condition ones not sell for much at all. 

There is one on Craigslist right now out of Chicago with some 40,000 miles and he's asking 6,000. 

Doubt he'll ever get it!

That is the risk of ebay I suppose. If I were to sell mine. 6grand is what I'd be asking. But that is different. I have my original seats still. I don't use them. They just sit in the rafters in the garage. I'm not sure if they have any tears or not.

That is the risk of ebay I suppose. If I were to sell mine. 6grand is what I'd be asking. But that is different. I have my original seats still. I don't use them. They just sit in the rafters in the garage. I'm not sure if they have any tears or not.

Those seats in the 'for sale' thread you posted of that '82 look great.

I'm hoping to find a seat like those, though at this point just a matching set would make me feel 100% better.

Also starting to get the second gear grind when the transmission is cold. From what I've read it is time for a flush...

And an oil change, and a valve adjustment, and likely 20 other things. Poor thing has sat for so long.

Those seats in the 'for sale' thread you posted of that '82 look great.

I'm hoping to find a seat like those, though at this point just a matching set would make me feel 100% better.

Also starting to get the second gear grind when the transmission is cold. From what I've read it is time for a flush...

And an oil change, and a valve adjustment, and likely 20 other things. Poor thing has sat for so long.

I don't believe I posted any seats for sale. I haven't looked at my originals since 2007. That's when the recaro's went in.

I could sell you the OEM seats that the car came with. They are black

I don't believe I posted any seats for sale. I haven't looked at my originals since 2007. That's when the recaro's went in.

I could sell you the OEM seats that the car came with. They are black

Oh, I was referring to the car that has a for sale thread with Recaros in it. Those Recaros look very nice.

Once it is warm out, I could swing by some time and check those stock seats out.

I really like my sport seat, wish I could find another to match!

A 991 with blue leather seats came into my shop today and I was all !!$#%??

They'd look amazing in the car. hah.

Oh, I was referring to the car that has a for sale thread with Recaros in it. Those Recaros look very nice.

Once it is warm out, I could swing by some time and check those stock seats out.

I really like my sport seat, wish I could find another to match!

A 991 with blue leather seats came into my shop today and I was all !!$#%??

They'd look amazing in the car. hah.

HA. That would be pretty cool. Yeah there in decent condition. There is a tear in the driver one. Yeah feel free. The garage's are all a total mess. But I know where the seats are. I may have some other things you might be interested. But it would be easier if you came out and looked.

Is is sad that the most HP I have ever been on behind the wheel was either an E39 528i or my friends 6.6 Duramax. Most guys would just scoff at that haha.

Figured out when I had it up at the shop that it has a LSD in it for some reason!

PDR3yzA.jpg

Also fixed a ton of broken wires, so the power mirrors work, and the A/C turns on now!

Also got the fog lights rewired and working.

Found the boot off the CIS to the air box was ripped, and replaced that. 

Replaced both drive belts, laughed at the hilariously small washer fluid tank.

• 2 months later...