WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

E30 Door Lock Cylinder Rekey Link

DrLeadFoot

Question

14 answers to this question

i definately recommend the rebuilt to save a few $$, its not very difficult.  the hardest part is getting the c-clip on and off to remove the cylinder from the car, but once you master that doing this is a breeze.

heres a picture i took of how I diagrammed the rebuild

lvah.jpg

of course, get a new key at the same time you rebuild the lock so they work the best together.  when I rebuilt the lock on my last e30, the original key was so worn it wouldnt work anymore with the rebuilt cylinder.

I got the whole thing apart plus the waffles out. I PB blasted the cylinder and took pipe cleaner and ran it through then brake cleaned the whole thing.

I took some 220 grit sanding paper and cleaned up the waffles on all sides so they slide smoothly. I'm only doing the first 4 waffles and not all 7.

Now I just need to grease everything up and reinstall. Tomorrow I'll finish up.

I will also wire wheel the black housing and repaint before install.

u3uru4y5.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I got the cylinder and the waffles all installed in the housing along with the spring and ball bearing.

I thought I flung the bearing across my living room on the first install attempt. Went to 3 different hardware stores in between my appointments with no luck. I come home, sit at my table and see the damn bearing smack dab in the middle of my work station!!

a5y4aqeb.jpg

^this is a smooth operator now.

I'm going to wire wheel or sandblast the black housing tonight and paint it up. After that dries I need to put this together.

6uze5uta.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk