WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

My winter bimmer 96 328i

M318

Ok, so my clutch slave cylinder was blown into the trans. I could feel the shaft from the slave in there but it wouldn't come out... So I had to pull the trans. Here's what I found...

gallery_3321_25_1289766.jpg

The pivot pin and spring clip both busted and the pivot fork just laid onto the pressure plate. The pressure plate was also collapsed! When I pulled the pressure plate off then the clutch disc fell apart and disintegrated! WTF. I bought this car as a quick slave cylinder fix. I thought the guy didnt know how to properly bleed the slave. Boy was I wrong. hahah oh well.

gallery_3321_25_860700.jpg

Check this out.. I didnt even remove the exhaust! Deeecent!

gallery_3321_25_457256.jpg

Look at that clutch disc! BTW it was still driving like this!

So then I grabbed the parts from my "racks on racks" of parts. Turns out my used clutch for this car that I had was VERY used. I didnt want to put that on. It was a sunday an no one could get a new clutch for it immeideatly so I was stuck. I thought of using my M5 clutch disk but that has springs on it and using it with a dual mass flywheel would make the car a slingshot. Hmmmm. So I realized I have my lightly used 318 clutch setup from when I pulled my M44 engine! I heard talk about how a 318 clutch would work with the 6 cylinders. So I grabbed the Pivot fork from my M3 Trans, the slave cylinder from my M3 trans, the pivot pin and clip off of my M44 trans, the throw out bearing from a 528 and the flywheel from my 318 along with the clutch disc and pressure plate....and whamo!

She shifts good and I have not seen any slipping! So in case you were wondering.. yes the M42 / M44 clutch disc and pressure plate does work in a pinch!

Yes, Plasti dip = the shit ( if used properly ). You HAVE to lay it on thick and at LEAST two coats. You also want to hit the surfaces that you are over spraying on hard too to make for easy removal. If you have a light dusting, I have used alcohol and a rag to wipe away.I have even sprayed another coat on something I was removing just to remove it easier.

BTW has anyone heard of anyone putting an m44 flywheel and clutch into any 6 cylinder?

I was replacing the thermostat when I realized the clutch fan blades and clutch were shot. There was a crack in the shroud but not all the way through so I left it. I replaced the broken fan with a new fan clutch and fan that I had and it was fine until this happened:

gallery_3321_25_1080711.jpg

You just can't have anything nice. I think what happened was that the shroud gave way where that crack is allowing the fan blades to interfere. Now I removed it and need to figure out a nice way to wire up the a/c fan to a temp switch of some sort.

I went to replace the post cat o2 when I discovered the o2 heated circuit power wire was cooked! Must have shorted on the chassis and just cooked itself.

gallery_3321_25_721459.jpg

I followed it up all the way to the rats nest in the harness on the firewall!

gallery_3321_25_404748.jpg

gallery_3321_25_1070716.jpg

It was cooked like this all the way up to the little power wire junction crimp in the wire trough.

gallery_3321_25_773425.jpg

I cut a nice long o2 sensor off of one of my other spare wire harnesses. It worked out pretty well so far. All in all it didn't really take that long and It wasn't really that hard. You just need a multimeter to find the wires because they cannot be removed from the rubber passage that brings the wires from under the intake up to the firewall trough.