WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

My 1992 318is, I guess you could call it a build thread

m42b32

Well, after a total of 980 miles in two days if travel I am finally home. The car ran flawlessly, cruising between 65 and 80 mph for about 9 straight hours on Thursday and then even a few hours of stop and go traffic through Chicago today. All in all I am extremely happy with how it ran and how it held up to the trip, the amazing mileage was nice too!

I stopped at a stealership right before I left because I realized my oil had become extremely dirty due to all the extremely short trips I had been making and since I couldn't do it myself at that moment and i didn't trust any other shops in the area (It's not the best area) the dealership was the best option. Heck, they washed the car and did a 'complimentary' inspection so that wasn't bad either I guess.

While they were doing that I was wandering around and came across a few cool bimmers:

8733074585_e3e4012fe5_z.jpg

8734192054_c771008f69_z.jpg

(yes, that's a real AC-Schnitzer 7 series)

Here's a view from somewhere in the middle of Pennsylvania:

8733077049_f449c0290c_c.jpg

After all that travel (and all the neglect at school) I got home and immediately gave the entire car a really thorough wash, cleans up pretty well!

8734198116_334aeb62c5_c.jpg

(I took it through a touch-less car wash to get off the majority of the crap as it was pretty cold out today, and the pressure from the washers/air dry system were enough to destroy the roundel on the hood. It had begun to peel slightly but the car wash ripped the white areas off as well as a majority of the clear coat. Looks like I will be getting a new one of those as well haha)  

8734202284_021a0f5526_c.jpg

(That's as good as those floor mats are getting without a shampoo unfortunately)

Cleans up pretty well if you ask me! I'll keep updating as I get things done

Update! I have been working on the car non-stop since Sunday afternoon and have gotten a ton done. After I finished thoroughly cleaning the inside and outside, I replaced the RSM's and added Z3 reinforcement plates. This got rid of the annoying squeak I've been having over sharp bumps so that was a plus.

I then started on doing some rust prevention. I bought some rust treatment stuff along with a rust stopping primer and a heavy duty rubber undercoating spray. I went through the underside of the car with with a wire brush and the rust treatment and let that sit overnight. I also opened up the open areas behind the front fender linings and treated that whole area after I cleaned out the majority of the dirt and debris in there.

Previously, I had done a repair on the passenger side as the inside of the fender had rotted out and I noticed that some rust was coming back so I wire brushed everything visible, treated it again, and then primed and undercoated the whole area with a few heavy coats. This should hopefully slow any rust significantly. 

On the drivers side (I have never checked it) I found this:

8741353541_07b4cb50d1_c.jpg

This is after the rust treating stuff, and honestly, its better than I thought it would be. I cleaned all the loose crap out and then used some high strength sealant/glue to hold the metal that had sagged closed and then gave it multiple coats of primer and undercoating to help slow it down. As much as I would love to cut out stuff/wend in new metal and replace the fender, etc. this car is ultimately a cheap daily so that is not really an option. It was dark when I finished this job so I didn't get an after picture unfortunately. 

I tore into the rear brake where my parking brake had previously gotten messed up (and I subsequently removed it)

8742465362_e0046eddf8_c.jpg

I had bought all the parts needed to rebuild the parking brake so that was the plan until I found this:

8741350363_1f84158d6f_c.jpg

The hole that the guide pins fit into has torn out because of rust so I am going to order new dust shields and replace them on both sides as I am sure its only a matter of time before the other side pulls through as well. 

I know to properly replace the dust shields I need to remove the hub and axle to get them off. I have seen people cut off the old ones and then cut a slot in the new dust shield to slip it over the axle without disturbing everything else like this guy did: http://www.e46fanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=924240

I put that all back together for now and moved on to making the car look a bit better. 

I wire brushed all the loose junk off the old rotors and calipers and sprayed them with a high temp (1000 degree) paint that is a flat dark gray in color. They look a million times better than the rusted ones:

8742504434_50ab244010_c.jpg

I decided to black out the lower portions of my bumpers with plastidip so I picked up two cans of the rattle can plastidip and went to town. 

8741350931_c131e6cfea_c.jpg

I couldn't get the rear bumper off the car as the bolts were pretty stuck so I sprayed it on the car.

Just a quick pic of the front end without the bumper:

8741354341_4cb71ab271_c.jpg

This morning I started installing the side skirts that I had plastidipped black yesterday. I decided that instead of drilling a bunch of holes and creating new places for rust that I would use the strongest version of the 3m double sided tape and silicone RTV adhesive. 

8741389961_53eeae6032_c.jpg

8741390713_7a334c6867_c.jpg

As of right now the glue is setting and they seem to be on there VERY solidly with just the tape. I will post pictures of the end result once the blue tape and clamps come off! I am already loving how it looks!

Got a lot more done over the last few days. The side skirts are solidly on the car and not going anywhere. I got everything put back together and I'm very pleased with it

8748401094_5b1ef34502_c.jpg

8748399080_c08b9e1261_c.jpg

8747277701_f9cf100a7c_c.jpg

While I was waiting for the glue to cure I decided to polish the exhaust tip. I don't have a before picture but it was all black and rusty before, here it is all shined up:

8747303757_b391527491_c.jpg

I decided to try and tackle my trashed door panels and instead of trying to repair the current ones again, I decided to make my own based on some I have seen over on bimmerforums

I started with a 2x4 foot piece of 1/4" mdf board and traced the outline of the old door panel onto it

8748401850_a244a9bc04_c.jpg

I then used this shape and kept trimming it until I got a shape that fit nicely and how I wanted it. I had to cut a hole for the window motor as it stuck out too far for the panel to cover it. 

8747280781_5199ba1efa_c.jpg

I had a bunch of the suede I used for the headliner left over so I wrapped the door panels in that fabric. I bought some simple handles from the hardware store as well as some self tapping screws that I painted black and affixed the panels to the doors. All in all I am very happy with how they came out. Everything lines up perfectly and they are rock solid. 

8747282153_69e312664c_c.jpg

8747283125_2a5544989b_c.jpg

(I added the handle seen here on the drivers side after I took that picture)

Let me know what you think! I was tempted to get nylon straps to close the doors but I decided that was a little much. I will be ordering some nice tweeters in the near future to mount on the doors to finish everything off

I love this build. Clean and done right the first time.

Make me some of those door cards, I'll pay you :)

Thanks! And I'd think about it actually, assuming the doors are set up the same between years I could make a template or something (for a coupe) and then making more sets would be fairly straightforward 

Thanks! And I'd think about it actually, assuming the doors are set up the same between years I could make a template or something (for a coupe) and then making more sets would be fairly straightforward 

If anyone knows the answer to this... mine is a '96. I don't see why they would be different.

All coupe door panels are the same.

Awesome. After having a number of things not line up on my car because it is a '92 I can never be too sure anymore. 

The reason I ask is because I have seen people do these without needing to cut the hole for the window motors. I just figured mine stuck out farther, but I guess they just bent the panel around them or something (which I wouldn't do, I feel like that could cause problems). On mine, the board is 1/4" thick and then the motor sticks out maybe another 1/4", the MDF is surprisingly rigid for the size of the panel so bending it around would be a pain 

On another note, should I paint/plastidip the handles black? I feel like they stick out (in a bad way) because they are a brushed silver right now

Awesome. After having a number of things not line up on my car because it is a '92 I can never be too sure anymore. 

The reason I ask is because I have seen people do these without needing to cut the hole for the window motors. I just figured mine stuck out farther, but I guess they just bent the panel around them or something (which I wouldn't do, I feel like that could cause problems). On mine, the board is 1/4" thick and then the motor sticks out maybe another 1/4", the MDF is surprisingly rigid for the size of the panel so bending it around would be a pain 

On another note, should I paint/plastidip the handles black? I feel like they stick out (in a bad way) because they are a brushed silver right now

I vote Plastidip them black.

How much would you want for just the wood template?

I vote Plastidip them black.

How much would you want for just the wood template?

I'm thinking the same thing. 

And I'd rather not make a template out of wood since its pretty time consuming to cut, but I could make one out of a heavy cardboard or foam-core board, that way you could make a set of panels out of any material you'd like. It would be pretty sweet to see them made out of aluminum or something. And I have no idea what I would want for a template, PM me an offer and we can go from there 

• 1 month later...

Minor update, I haven't done anything to the car in a few weeks but I finally did some things I've wanted to do for a while today since I had a few hours free. I installed an auxiliary audio input to my head-unit and also polished my headlights again as they were getting pretty foggy and nasty. 

For the audio input, the car already had an XM radio reciever installed under the glovebox and I found that the connection to that could be modified a bit to accommodate a 3.5mm stereo jack. I picked up a few little adapters since I couldn't find the proper adapter I was looking for and ended up with this

9160713339_d9da044d9b_c.jpg

I then routed the cable under the center console to the ash tray between the driver and passenger seats

9160719143_bcc3136833_c.jpg

I am always finding reminders if how nasty this car was before I got it, that is all dog hair. When I bought the car, the entire interior was covered in it. 

9160716065_89152198cc_c.jpg

I left enough wire to be able to hold my phone when it is plugged in yet little enough that I could tuck it into the compartment in the ash tray and hide it when I wasn't using it. All in all it is pretty stealthy and works perfectly. 

9163009486_257113daa9_c.jpg

I used some auto polishing compound and a microfiber pad to buff the headlights. Here is a before and after, I tried to show the difference in how well it worked

Before:

9162926550_7894934f28_c.jpg

After:

9162920338_f7a4001e8e_c.jpg

very nice. 

this thing is clean!

How did I miss this build thread? Loving it!

Thanks guys! The pictures definitely hide some things but its certainly coming along nicely in my opinion. I can't wait to lower it but unfortunately that's probably a long way off still haha

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so a really good friend of mine who has been on the fence about selling his e30 is finally selling it. The car is in really nice shape with next to no rust and a ton of maintenance done to it. The only problem is...I'd most likely need to sell the e36 to buy it as I could never afford two bimmers. What do you guys think I should do? I really love this car and don't want to sell it (I've also got way more money in it that I should), but I've always lusted after an e30 and this one is almost too nice to pass up, especially for what he wants for it. 

Ok, so a really good friend of mine who has been on the fence about selling his e30 is finally selling it. The car is in really nice shape with next to no rust and a ton of maintenance done to it. The only problem is...I'd most likely need to sell the e36 to buy it as I could never afford two bimmers. What do you guys think I should do? I really love this car and don't want to sell it (I've also got way more money in it that I should), but I've always lusted after an e30 and this one is almost too nice to pass up, especially for what he wants for it. 

Well at $1300, I am practically giving it away, but I am just glad it will be going to a good home.  

When you put the plastic skirts on do the jacking holes line up with the ones in the body? I have a 94 and might put some on. Just curious because bavauto sells some plastic skirts but warns that the holes will not line up.

They do, mine lined up perfectly. I don't know why they told you otherwise. The post 95 cars that came with the skirts from the factory are the same underneath, they just have holes drilled into the body to mount the skirts. My skirts are OEM so there might be a difference if the bavauto ones are aftermarket so I would ask why they say that

When you put the plastic skirts on do the jacking holes line up with the ones in the body? I have a 94 and might put some on. Just curious because bavauto sells some plastic skirts but warns that the holes will not line up.

They do, mine lined up perfectly. I don't know why they told you otherwise. The post 95 cars that came with the skirts from the factory are the same underneath, they just have holes drilled into the body to mount the skirts. My skirts are OEM so there might be a difference if the bavauto ones are aftermarket so I would ask why they say that

After much deliberation this past weekend, I think I may be putting my car up for sale. I will being going over the e30 tonight to make my final decision but I've seen the car many times before and I am pretty sure I know how this is all going to turn out. Would anyone be potentially interested in it? I will probably write up an ad but for the time being I think this thread gives a pretty good overview. If I do sell it I'd really like it to go to an enthusiast