WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Euro Engine

Guest m3clubbmw

This is stupid. You're willing to apy $4K+ for a gained what? 50hp? Stupid. simple bolt on's and upping the compression ratio would get you more HP and cheaper then that.

You do get more than that with a euro S50. It has ITB's so it responds completely different. But I agree that you will be paying way to much. Plus I know you would need someone to install it for you. This could easily become a $10,000 plus ordeal in your case.

Guest 92e36

What would an ls1 swap cost? I have been thinking about buying a decent turbo set-up and a few other things for my car but I am a Chevy guy at heart so an ls1 swap would be the way I would want to go if its no more then 5k and this wouldn't be until next winter until I start gathering parts mounts motor ect.

Guest 92e36

Hmmmmmm I'm going to have to do a lot of thinking on this one and research! I just want to do something besides forced induction because I'm sick of everyone around here (Waupun,fdl,beaver dam) thinking the only way a car can be fast is with a turbo or supercharger

• 4 weeks later...

@OP

A turbo kit is the best bet for "cheap" horsepower. The M50 is a great base for a turbo build. A guy on bimmerfest is running stock internals (with 145k miles), cometic headgasket, ARP studs, and a turbo kit pieced together off Ebay and has 400whp. I think he's got roughly $4800 stuck into it total. Last I checked he still gets 23-25mph hwy at 70mph. 

The euro engine would be sweet, but as damnboy has said, probably not the best option if you want total power and reliability. Its a big bump in power (321 vs 240bhp), and ITBs are probably awesome..

An LSX motor swap is out of the question unless you're willing to pay big bucks to have someone else install it. The "homemade" kits available online will run you over $4k in parts alone to make it fit, then you have to pay someone to install it for you, and you still dont have the motor/engine/trans included in that cost.

Or you could go for something odd and swap in something cool like an M62 and 6 speed from the 540i. That's probably my second favorite BMW engine I've ever had (other than the s62), very smooth, tons of torque, and 6 gears are pretty sweet. In a lighter e36 chassis it would be an incredible combination; BMW V8 refinement/sound/power delivery, lighter e36 chassis, and there cant be many of those swaps out there..