WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Euro Engine

Guest m3clubbmw

I've never done any engine swaps but the subject has always fascinated me.

Has anyone swapped a 540i motor into a 3-series, does that make since?

Pretty sure there was a article in roundel about a M60 swapped E30 not too long ago. I've seen it done on the internets too

m60 into e30 is a bad idea if you ask me.  weighs a shit ton, not enough room in the e34 chassis, let alone the e30 chassis for it, bad gas mileage, less reliable and more expensive to fix, and only 50hp more than a regular old s50.  

I was averaging almost 25mpg with 80% hwy driving in my 540i. Ran like a top, 128k miles. I imagine in a lighter chassis (like the e36) it wouldn't be unreasonable to get 26-27, which isn't much worse than your typical e36 325i gets anyway.

I was averaging almost 25mpg with 80% hwy driving in my 540i. Ran like a top, 128k miles. I imagine in a lighter chassis (like the e36) it wouldn't be unreasonable to get 26-27, which isn't much worse than your typical e36 325i gets anyway.

the m60s are fine when cruising at constant speeds, but throw in high revs/stop and go and it all goes to hell. no one is going to swap an m60 into an e30 and then use it on for 80% highway driving.  driving enthusiastically with the 6banger is still going to get you 22-24mpg, but driving the m60 that way is going to be 16-18mpg.

my point is probably moot since im sure if you can afford to do such swaps, gas mileage isnt really important to you.