WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Be on the look out for spammers.

rampelsauce

What about getting a "human verification" thing..where you type the strange looking words from the image?...not really sure how you get those but every other forum I've ever signed up for has one. Seems to work well. Or even a simple question/answer deal, which may require less work. One of the DSM forums I was on back in the day (yeah, i know "ewwww dsms") simply had "What does DSM stand for?" as a security question during the registration process.

What about getting a "human verification" thing..where you type the strange looking words from the image?...not really sure how you get those but every other forum I've ever signed up for has one. Seems to work well. Or even a simple question/answer deal, which may require less work. One of the DSM forums I was on back in the day (yeah, i know "ewwww dsms") simply had "What does DSM stand for?" as a security question during the registration process.

Captcha has already been turned on, I will also be installing some spam detection add-ons within the next day, not sure if I'll have to take down the forum yet. If I do, I'll get to it later tonight then.

Unfortunately he will have to reregister. I had user registration moderation turned on to keep spammers from getting in the last week. I was getting so many requests that I had to just delete all of them. Couldn't tell wether a username/email was spam or not. Hopefully we didn't loose too many potential members in the process.

The new system will check email and ip addresses against the stop forum spam database as they register. It is all behind the scenes so the registration experience will stay the same. There is also a small level of auto-moderation to detect spam posts for any bots that may get through.