WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

BMWCCA Members?

YoungCR

joined last march. went to one or two events. the president of the club chipped my paint and I didnt get so much as a sorry. needless to say i didnt renew my membership.

it also doenst help that O'Reillys is a big part of the club, and i don't like that place (bad experience), so i don't want to support them.

the roundel is nice, the letters section is just everyone bitching about how new bmws suck.

Edited by straight6pwr

Guest merton

joined last march. went to one or two events. the president of the club chipped my paint and I didnt get so much as a sorry. needless to say i didnt renew my membership.

it also doenst help that O'Reillys is a big part of the club, and i don't like that place (bad experience), so i don't want to support them.

the roundel is nice, the letters section is just everyone bitching about how new bmws suck.

I've been a member for a few years. Dan, I'd like to hear more about your experience. Maybe on the phone. I've been attending the past few board meetings. They are helping with funding for the E30 GTG that I've planned. I'll be posting more about that in a minute!!

Guest merton

I heard the board meetings were at Concours correct? It would be cool to sit in on those if I have nothing going on with work.

This last meeting was at Concours. I think that it moved there from Libiamos Restaurant because it closed. I haven't heard yet where the next meeting will be, but I'll post up once I hear...

I've been a member for a few years. Dan, I'd like to hear more about your experience. Maybe on the phone. I've been attending the past few board meetings. They are helping with funding for the E30 GTG that I've planned. I'll be posting more about that in a minute!!

the gtg should be a good time.

i guess i should also say that the cca badger bimmers members that i have met over the years are very nice people, regardless on my views of the club. many have helped me work on and learn about my car.

Guest stealthbimmer

I was a member for a year a while back, never renewed it...didnt see it doing anything for me. I did get an article in one of the immers, that was cool. But, the club as a whole didnt do anything for me.

I've been a member since 2004. My main involvement has been in their DE programs at Road America and Blackhawk. Very well run events with a focus on skill development and safety as you move up through the run groups. Good way to develop a skill set before moving on to events that are just open track days. The events draw a diverse mix of cars and you will see the same coordinators running Road America events for other organizations. Beyond the driving I've met a bunch of fascinating people who know a lot and care about the brand and some who more just enjoy hanging out. Come to some track events this season and see for yourself.

I've been a member for years and sat on the board for a while, O'Reilley's doesn't really do anything for the club other than host the spring car clean up event every year. They don't even advertise in the IMMER publication. Dan, I think your assumptions are without merit in that case. Supporting the national BMWCCA, which is what you're doing, has nothing to do with local businesses like O'Reilley's -- they are simply a local car shop

I joined when Oktoberfest was out here, but let it lapse this year. The only event I really attention is the show at Concourse and you don't need to be a member for that. The track days are cool, but way more expensive than the club I run with. I was thinking about joining again to run RA this year, still up in the air on that.

The track days are cool, but way more expensive than the club I run with

Just being curious, but what club do you run with? Going to the track days is one of my main reasons for joining BMWCCA, but they are a little pricey like you said.

High speed autocross (HSAX?) looks like fun. But HSAX and HPDE events are different animals which will explain some of the cost difference. Figure 10-20 cars out on Blackhawk at once in your run group all out on the track at the same time with designated passing zones (and pass with point rules) varying by the level of experience in your group. Four 20 minute sessions of track time for your group (80 minutes of seat time) plus classroom sessions that teach you how to drive in this type of situation as well as details on proper lines, braking, etc. Go to Road America and run groups increase in size, the run sessions are longer, the number of sessions increase, and the classroom sessions are more detailed. Organizations such as GT Track Days, the MW Fox Body folks, MVP Track Time also offer good programs and will offer cheaper rates for Road America than the BMW, Porsche, Audi events but with less classroom instruction and typically cheaper rates if you reserve in advance. All of this is fun and the more different experiences you can get the better.

The way MC HSAX is run the morning is practice, which is basically what you described for HPDE, practice groups based on lap times, 20min sessions with restricted passing zones. Then the afternoon is timed runs by class, generally get 4 but have gotten up to 6 when everything runs smooth. There are instructors available to ride with novices during practice. Lots of track time for the price. There are also 2 driver schools per season that offer full day track/classroom sessions with each individual getting a dedicated instructor. We also offer a traditional HPDE once a year.

The thing I like most about HSAX is its a championship points system (regional) so its not just track time, your actually competing against the people in your class.