WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

F8X M3/4 Owners Registry

mtecnic

Title is the topic. Post your car and what part of the state you're from if you've got one.

Taking delivery of mine in a few weeks

Located in Oshkosh.

F80 M3 - Sakhir Orange - 6MT - Carbon Fiber Roof - HK Sound - 19s with Black 

I'll be calling her Scarlett.

I don't really like the new M3/4 at all, however, that's pure subjectivity. What I will say is that I love the color choice and will echo Chris' thoughts above - unique color choice that I applaud and would still have beer with you as a result of making that decision, despite my disdain for an M car that doesn't have a high revving NA motor. 

I had a black 135 before the one I have now, and I get way more compliments on the color now than I ever did with "yet another black bmw". I'm sure you will be very pleased looking at your car and knowing you weren't a crowd-follower. 

I would be interested to see this in person at a meet sometime. 

Wow, active little community here!

Well I would love to meet up with anyone from here. Delivery should be early to mid April.

@i_love_cars: I had a high revving NA e92 M3 in which the motor blew up and windowed the block. For the long term, i'll settle with a high-ish revving inline 6 with the turbos. I was lucky under warranty by 2 months so I didn't have to foot the $32K bill. You could say my love for high revving NA cars has died off like the lost love of a girlfriend who cheated on you.

Cheers!

Well I would love to meet up with anyone from here. Delivery should be early to mid April.

@i_love_cars: I had a high revving NA e92 M3 in which the motor blew up and windowed the block. For the long term, i'll settle with a high-ish revving inline 6 with the turbos. I was lucky under warranty by 2 months so I didn't have to foot the $32K bill. You could say my love for high revving NA cars has died off like the lost love of a girlfriend who cheated on you.

Cheers!

Best rebuttal ever.

Cheers!

bahahahahah "like the lost love of a girlfriend who cheated on you" , love it. I will say there is something to be said about the fact that the e92 has a unique motor and that makes it much more expensive to fix. The newer M cars that share motors with other BMWs means more parts available, more likelihood of issues being worked out due to greater volume of cars to sample problems from, and lower hours to do repairs as processes become more standardized. 

bahahahahah "like the lost love of a girlfriend who cheated on you" , love it. I will say there is something to be said about the fact that the e92 has a unique motor and that makes it much more expensive to fix. The newer M cars that share motors with other BMWs means more parts available, more likelihood of issues being worked out due to greater volume of cars to sample problems from, and lower hours to do repairs as processes become more standardized. 

The lost love analogy seems to hit home with car guys.

Where did you get the impression that this gen M3 shares a motor with anything? I'd be curious to read that.

My reference: http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=893611

let me try and dig it up for you - the information is in the BMW engine papers that most people will never look at. Give me some time.

All technologies in the M3/4 are generic and not M specific, including the ones marketed as ///M. For example, your article highlights in bold font the twin wire arc sprayed cylinder liners - these were already used in N20 engines in 2011 for the F10 320i and is pretty much standard BMW by now. It was marketed as something special for the S55. It's not. Another one is the turbo dual mono scrolls - same tech as the N55. BMW never implemented the hybrid turbocharger that they patented in 2013 in the S55. The S55 was an updated N55 design.

I'm not saying that there aren't some things in the S55 that are better than other BMW cars (I suspect the rotating assembly in the S55 can handle more than the N55), but all in all, many things that will break on that car will be cheaper to fix than an e92 M3 because i bet you dollars to donuts the next 3/4 series cars will have everything the current M4 has because it's all generic. The e92 was unique. I've yet to see anything on the S55 that screams "i'm a unique M car".

let me try and dig it up for you - the information is in the BMW engine papers that most people will never look at. Give me some time. 

All technologies in the M3/4 are generic and not M specific, including the ones marketed as ///M. For example, your article highlights in bold font the twin wire arc sprayed cylinder liners - these were already used in M20 engines in 2011 for the F10 320i and is pretty much standard BMW by now. It was marketed as something special for the S55. It's not. Another one is the turbo dual mono scrolls - same tech as the N55. BMW never implemented the hybrid turbocharger that they patented in 2013 in the S55. The S55 was an updated N55 design. 

I'm not saying that there aren't some things in the S55 that are better than other BMW cars (I suspect the rotating assembly in the S55 can handle more than the N55), but all in all, many things that will break on that car will be cheaper to fix than an e92 M3 because i bet you dollars to donuts the next 3/4 series cars will have everything the current M4 has because it's all generic. The e92 was unique. I've yet to see anything on the S55 that screams "i'm a unique M car". 

I can certainly agree on all the points you made of pieces not called the engine :)

The e92 s65 is just a chopped version of the S85 from the m5. So i guess its not real unique either. We should probably stop or all the hairs will be split, hahaha

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...