WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

1993 e36 turbo stroker long term project

e36t-yost

Hey guys my names tyler I'm 22, live in oconomowoc and just had this site mentioned to me by Cyoung.

I've got like the title states a 1993 e36 stock motor still auto >:( gotta get the swap going still need a flywheel and shift linkage to do that recently did a compression test and cylinder 3&4 are low but it runs great so I'm not too sure what's up. Just redid my cooling system new thermostat mishimoto radiator, and ordered a new Thermostat housing in shiny aluminum still want to get a electric water pump but my paychecks aren't huge and bmw's are new to me and it's more expensive than I originally thought so it makes the process slower but I love my car. Even though keeping her happy makes me poor.

My plans for the car are to track and drift it, so wide angle steering mods/or kit depends if I save my pennies and do it right or do it tee backyard route, coilovers before automotion this year, and dual caliper setup before next summer big brakes is an idea but hella expensive so I gotta hold off on that if anyone has any input that would be greatly appreciated oh and I'm piecing together a turbo kit one piece at a time so in time it'll be way better than it is now but I still love her

Welcome.

Getting more angle shouldn't be much of a problem. You can run e46 control arms and some rack spacers. E46 330 brakes are a budget big brake swap. The dual caliper idea seems like a bit overkill. Plumbing a hydraulic hand brake inline would be more cost effective and would work just fine to start with. There are a good chunk of e36 "budget" drift builds that you could look into and take ideas from.

i was getting 120 in all cylinders and 60psi in 3 and 70psi in 4. I did do the test with the engine cold in my garage in wisconsin cold cold last night, cyoung informed me that the full bandana has an m54b30 long block for my build I'm tight on cash as of late due to switching jobs but in the coming weeks my income will become more steady thankfully.

i was looking at doing dual calipers just to have a dedicated handbrake.

thanks for the update with the e46 control arms and spacers I'm going to have to look into that a little bit more, possibly hit lkq salvage in the next couple weeks.

and if anyone knows what kind of size upgrade do you get with the 46 brake swap??? and are the calipers the same piston number just larger or do they have more pistons on the front. I don't want to overpower a car with underpowered brakes... just a safety thing for me

thanks for the input guys!!!!!!

That seems really low. I would pull the head to check for headgasket/cracked head, did it have any symptoms? Most common is running roughly from a cold start and then it smooths out after a minute or two. I think the 330 brakes have the same diameter caliper piston, but the larger diameter increases brake torque, think same amount of pressure on a longer handled wrench. They are 325mm rotors, (e36 m3 is 315mm) you will most likely need 17" wheels to clear them. I have 16" contour reps and they are one of few 16's that work.

Sent from my potato phone

No, it starts rough cuz i still haven't change the oil from summer oil royal purple 15w-40 so its like sludge when it sits outside right now but in the garage starts up like its 50 degrees cuz it is in my parents garage. no rough idle when started in the garage, good power through the power band very linear... but 230k miles haha original engine had vanos redone 15k miles ago by po and its now a 4 owner car first owner had it for most of its life and sent it back to bmw to have the strut towers replaced and the 100k mile services done at 100k right near the 10 year mark he paid for shipping and what not then sold it to his friend who had it for a couple years and then sold it to the kid that i bought it from. so its in really good condition for the most part....

ps the kid i bought it from only had it for about 16 months and only drove it for about 3 months then bought a 4cylinder grand am cuz he wanted better gas mileage  hahaha

also i have 17" winter tires so for brake upgrade I'm set on rim size already

im not sure on cams i wondering if i could get them reground to work well with the turbo?!?!? if not I'm really not sure on cams they're really expensive and are probably outside my price range currently...

current important parts i need are a turbo exhaust manifold t4 preferably twin scroll cuz i got an hx45w for next to nothing in pretty good condition. intercooler thinking about going water to air but not entirely sure, need to swap the trans.

also need to get crank bearings, new piston rings, maybe electric fan setup since the motor will be out should i do new engine mounts too?? 

If anyones got a flywheel i have a clutch and also need the shift linkage for the swap i have everything else.

and i think thats about it.... i think i have most everything like piping and what not,

That was my reason for going with the m54b30 intake cam, they can be found for very cheap, like under a hundred dollars.  9.8mm lift vs 9mm and the duration is longer but I forget the numbers, not quite as aggressive as an s5x cam profile but close.  The only modification to fit is shortening the vanos spline parts to match the length of the original.

Don't get too fancy with the cams until you get the rest of your setup dial IMO. What will you be doing for tuning? The most important step by far, but you know that. 

Good choice in turbo. But I'm sure its not an hx45 haha. 

1010483_10202649682275972_326306265_n.jp

Thats an hx40 with an obx manifold which is t4. The turbo position will be slightly lower because I was running a t3/t4 adapter. This manifold is for sale by the way. Many people have made great power on them, and they are great for the price. I'm assuming you want top mount? I Don't really think its an option for bottom mount, because its kind of tight with that turbo. 

LMK if you want the manifold. Its brand new, only used for mockup. 

Oh, I also have some brand new motor mounts. They are AKG red, and one of them is the "turbo" motor mount for extra clearance or whatever. 

Good luck man!

You can definitely tune the stock ecu, which is a very reliable and easy solution, but it is expensive. Like 1000$ for injectors, maf, and chip.

Otherwise you can use a chip burner or a emulator(ostrich 2.0 is what I have) and real time tune the stock ecu using tunerproRT and some sort of datalogging(and wideband)

Otherwise megasquirt is your best cheap standalone and a few of us have experience with it.