WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Favorite Wisconsin Locations

Earl

My vacation this weekend has gotten me thinking again on all of the places I would like to visit within our state.

Post your favorite sights to see or vacation getaways within the state that everyone should see=)

My personal favorites are:

• Door County (only been there once, the second time will be this weekend). I particularly enjoy Sister Bay

• Holy Hill / the Kettle Moraine in general

If you wanna go canoeing. Nothing beats Kickapoo River. Lots of really cool sites to see, and plenty of sand bars to beach yourself on. And the area alone is beautiful!

I do like canoeing but haven't done it in years. Sounds like a good time

Well Road America has to be at the top of my list of favorite places in Wisconsin.  

The Eau Claire area is great in the spring and summer time.  Running down by the river in Eau Claire is still one of my favorite things to do when I'm up there.

Devil's Head and the area around Baraboo have some great driving roads.

Ah yes. It is very nice around Eau Claire. I need to get out and drive myself around the Dells and Baraboo. My parents always drove me around there as a kid and I haven't had the opportunity to drive around there much besides Automotion this year

hiking around Lapham Peak, Devil's Lake, The Duck tours down the Wisconsin River

Those all sound like something I need to do. I have been meaning to visit Devil's Lake. Any recommended places to stay or things to do? 

As far as devils lake, us locals enjoy drinking beer, swimming, drinking beer, rock climbing, drinking beer, jumping off rocks into lake, drinking beer, and grilling brats during a picnic with a nice cold beer. Optionally you could camp there and repeat! Seriously though devils lake and the Baraboo hills is a beautiful area. Taking the Merrimack ferry there and getting ice cream from the shack is the traditional way to drive up to the lake.

Otherwise Spring Green is also incredibly scenic. Its awesome driving through the hills and seeing some of Frank Lloyd Wright's designs. Governor Dodge state park is also a great place to stay and spend a day on the lake.

I've only been out there once but Prairie due Chen is also pretty scenic. Canped at Wyalousing state park and there is lots of good areas to canoe around there right next to the Mississippi.

Also you could come visit me in the Madison area!

I love Door County. Been there are few times this summer and would like to go at least once again. Rented a condo and tented it at Peninsula State Park the two times I spent the weekend there this year. Day trips are fun too. Beautiful place.

We are renting a condo in Sister Bay this time. Last time we stayed in a room at the Birchwood Lodge. I just love that you can walk down to the Marina in the morning=) I want to check out Peninsula State Park. I have heard nothing but awesome things

As far as devils lake, us locals enjoy drinking beer, swimming, drinking beer, rock climbing, drinking beer, jumping off rocks into lake, drinking beer, and grilling brats during a picnic with a nice cold beer. Optionally you could camp there and repeat! Seriously though devils lake and the Baraboo hills is a beautiful area. Taking the Merrimack ferry there and getting ice cream from the shack is the traditional way to drive up to the lake.

Otherwise Spring Green is also incredibly scenic. Its awesome driving through the hills and seeing some of Frank Lloyd Wright's designs. Governor Dodge state park is also a great place to stay and spend a day on the lake.

I've only been out there once but Prairie due Chen is also pretty scenic. Canped at Wyalousing state park and there is lots of good areas to canoe around there right next to the Mississippi.

Also you could come visit me in the Madison area!

Spring Green would be a sweet trip=) Frank Lloyd Wright did some awesome work. I will need to add that to the list. 

Everything about Devils Lake sounds fun. Just the beer drinking doesn't interest me haha 

The only cool thing about Madison is that you and Ryan are there=P

We are renting a condo in Sister Bay this time. Last time we stayed in a room at the Birchwood Lodge. I just love that you can walk down to the Marina in the morning=) I want to check out Peninsula State Park. I have heard nothing but awesome things

What did you think of the Birchwood Lodge?

We LOVED our condo. It was up in Sister Bay as well. Peninsula State Park is awesome. Go to the beach and rent some paddleboards, boats, bikes, etc. I always have fun camping there with no electricity.

It was perfect weather up around Sister Bay this weekend. Friday it was a little warm but cooled down shortly after 4. 

Our Condo was really nice for the price. My only complaint is that the pillows on the bed were a bit stiff but otherwise it was really nice. 

The main event of the weekend was taking the Ferry over to Washington Island and seeing all of the cool little sights. 

The first thing we did was drive from one port over to the other that goes to Rock Island just to get an idea on the size of the island. 35 square miles is both small but large at the same time. Living there would be an experience for sure. 

After that drive we went to Mountain Park and looked off of the lookout tower. 

CAM01120_zpscpqspoph.jpg

We then went to the Albatross Drive-In. The food took a bit of time to make but it was definitely good for a little ma and pa type eatery. 

We stopped in at a local store and they told us that we definitely needed to visit Stavkirche and Schoolhouse Beach. Obviously we had to listen. 

First we stopped at Stavkirche. This place was awesome. 

CAM01131_zpsqdhrndud.jpg

CAM01123_zpsv0goz8gv.jpg

CAM01126_zpsirfzqoob.jpg

CAM01128_zpsdlzupcz2.jpg

CAM01129_zpsz4kizeuh.jpg

CAM01130_zpseeep5pem.jpg

Here is some info on the church: http://www.luther95.net/TELC-WIWI/Stav.htm

We then went to Schoolhouse Beach where I proceeded to skip rocks for quite some time. I will need to get pictures of that from my girlfriend. 

We were getting tired and wanted to get back to the mainland to rest up a bit so we hopped back on the Ferry. This popped up there too

CAM01132_zpsl8de9vbz.jpg

Washington Island was definitely worth the visit. I wish we had more time to spend there but we were only in Door County for the weekend. 

ALso, I apologize for all of the poor quality cellphone shots. My girlfriend forgot the camera at home=P 

• 1 month later...

Off to Dodgeville/Spring Green next Friday and Saturday=) 

It is my anniversary on Thursday so I thought I would treat the lady to House on the Rock and Cave of the Mounds. 

There is a Troll Road that we will be stopping at in Mount Horeb as well. 

Any other suggestions such as places to eat or other must see things in the area?